User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
You are a true 2018 lineup apologist! Billy and Rick got a video, LSMJ got 2 videos, and LCMJ got a video.
Not an apologist, just a fan who was tired of seeing the band on autopilot with completely predictable setlists, guitar solos, etc. and the over reliance on prerecords.

The highlight of the LBCM tour, for me, was seeing Christine having a good time on stage as well as hearing WYWH and “Hold Me” live. Otherwise, it was total Memorex, and that’s not my cup of tea.

I mean, I wasn’t a fan of the classic lineup not riding out into the sunset, but I was also not a fan of the prospect of another Memorex tour void of any spontaneity (aside from the ridiculously long, rambling speeches). I still would have gone because I wasn’t missing Mick, John, and especially Christine at their ages, but there would have been a frustration with that, too.

There were no perfect options for 2018. However, I got to hear all of the standards as well as Fleetwood Mac deep cuts and Lindsey Buckingham deep cuts, just not together. That’s more than I would have gotten without the split.

Quote:
The 2018 tour was not remarkable. Like Stevie says "we had to do the tour and when it was over, it was over"
Where did she say that? I haven’t really seen her comment too much about it. Anyway, those early shows were remarkable and courageous by Fleetwood Mac standards.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Not an apologist, just a fan who was tired of seeing the band on autopilot with completely predictable setlists, guitar solos, etc. and the over reliance on prerecords.

The highlight of the LBCM tour, for me, was seeing Christine having a good time on stage as well as hearing WYWH and “Hold Me” live. Otherwise, it was total Memorex, and that’s not my cup of tea.

I mean, I wasn’t a fan of the classic lineup not riding out into the sunset, but I was also not a fan of the prospect of another Memorex tour void of any spontaneity (aside from the ridiculously long, rambling speeches). I still would have gone because I wasn’t missing Mick, John, and especially Christine at their ages, but there would have been a frustration with that, too.

There were no perfect options for 2018. However, I got to hear all of the standards as well as Fleetwood Mac deep cuts and Lindsey Buckingham deep cuts, just not together. That’s more than I would have gotten without the split.

Where did she say that? I haven’t really seen her comment too much about it. Anyway, those early shows were remarkable and courageous by Fleetwood Mac standards.
Uh…didn’t they cut the majority of the blues material and uh…..replaced it with predictable hits? They were adventurous for about a quarter of the entire tour?
Old 05-01-2023, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do you not acknowledge that it's a fact that each time a new member brought in their own work into a FM setlist, that member had made music as a member of FM?
Because, regardless of the context, it doesn’t change the fact that Fleetwood Mac has a history of playing songs from members’ works outside of Fleetwood Mac.

However one chooses to contextualize Fleetwood Mac playing non-Fleetwood Mac songs is arbitrary. You contextualize it in a way that I don’t.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only time between 1987-2018 that Fleetwood Mac attempted to go “all in” on the pre-75 material was in the absence of key members of the ‘75 lineup. It’s the same bull***** PR move they always revert back to while in crisis mode and incredibly enough somehow people buy into it as some profound thing to do. They had to fill out a set list, they could have done an all blues era tour but they chose not to. They rounded out the set with some blues tunes, a crowded house crowd pleaser and a Tom Petty crowd pleaser. There’s nothing effing courageous about it. It was a calculated move at every level and had nothing to do with a genuine reboot of the pre 75 material.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Uh…didn’t they cut the majority of the blues material and uh…..replaced it with predictable hits? They were adventurous for about a quarter of the entire tour?
Yeah, but that quarter was still the most adventurous thing they’ve done since the SYW tour. They eventually went mostly went on autopilot, with a few exceptions, like “Hold Me” and the occasional “Man of the World” and “Blue Letter.” However, even then, it wasn’t a total Memorex tour.

In retrospect, though, if they weren’t making new music, they really should have just brought back Billy and Rick. I don’t “get the premise” of bringing in two internationally acclaimed songwriters and musicians into the band and not making a new album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As a fan of the pre 75 material - a tour with Mick, John, Christine, and Mike would have been sublime. That would have been the courageous move to make as a true revisit of that material. That alone probably would have earned them a residency at The Beacon and a PBS special.

Last edited by BigAl84; 05-01-2023 at 07:54 PM..
Old 05-01-2023, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As a fan of the pre 75 material - a tour with Mick, John, Christine, and Mike would have been sublime. That would have been the courageous move to make as a true revisit of that material.
I would have loved a Bare Trees 50th Anniversary theater tour with Mick, John, Christine, Mike, and Neil.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only time between 1987-2018 that Fleetwood Mac attempted to go “all in” on the pre-75 material was in the absence of key members of the ‘75 lineup. It’s the same bull***** PR move they always revert back to while in crisis mode and incredibly enough somehow people buy into it as some profound thing to do. They had to fill out a set list, they could have done an all blues era tour but they chose not to. They rounded out the set with some blues tunes, a crowded house crowd pleaser and a Tom Petty crowd pleaser. There’s nothing effing courageous about it. It was a calculated move at every level and had nothing to do with a genuine reboot of the pre 75 material.
That’s a straw man. They never stated their goal was to go “all in” with the pre-1975 (and post-1987) material. They never denied that adding the non-Rumours material was anything other than a way to fill setlist space. It was never meant to be anything other than revisiting material they hadn’t done in a while in the absence of a principal songwriter.

In the case of the 2018 tour, they were doing a full career retrospective tour for a career retrospective comp that was coming out during the tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the case of the 2018 tour, they were doing a full career retrospective tour for a career retrospective comp that was coming out during the tour.
Then why were three covers that FM never played before in a career retrospective tour setlist.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I mean, I wasnÂ’t a fan of the classic lineup not riding out into the sunset, but I was also not a fan of the prospect of another Memorex tour void of any spontaneity (aside from the ridiculously long, rambling speeches). I still would have gone because I wasnÂ’t missing Mick, John, and especially Christine at their ages, but there would have been a frustration with that, too.

There were no perfect options for 2018. However, I got to hear all of the standards as well as Fleetwood Mac deep cuts and Lindsey Buckingham deep cuts, just not together. ThatÂ’s more than I would have gotten without the split.

Where did she say that? I havenÂ’t really seen her comment too much about it. Anyway, those early shows were remarkable and courageous by Fleetwood Mac standards.
Again, she said it to Zane Lowe.

I would say the 2003 and 2013 setlists were courageous by FM standards. Lots of new songs in 2003 plus Beautiful Child and return of Never Going Back Again. 2013 had the return of Sisters of the Moon after 30 years, a Buckingham Nicks demo, a new FM song, Not that Funny, Eyes of the World after 10 years. And as a fan of Stevie's costumes, they certainly were awesome for that.

Stevie showed no courage in 2018. Storms was done 80 times on Unleashed. Black Magic Woman is not her song and she spoke sang her way through it and did her ah-ah-ah-ahs.

If there was not going to be any new music in 2018 and they were truly courageous, they would have done 3 Behind The Mask Songs by Rick and Billy. Dropped Lindsey's 3 songs and do 3 from Time: Talkin To My Heart, Blow by Blow, and I Got It in For You. Stevie would have done Crystal, Angel, Affairs of the Heart, Sara, and No Questions Asked instead of Dreams, Landslide, Gold Dust Woman, Black Magic Woman, and Free Fallin' - keep Rhiannon for the hits fans and Storms so she could sing it to Mick.

I thought Christine's songs were fine.

Other than Tusk, what songs had prerecords in the 2014 Tour?
Old 05-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, she said it to Zane Lowe.

I would say the 2003 and 2013 setlists were courageous by FM standards. Lots of new songs in 2003 plus Beautiful Child and return of Never Going Back Again. 2013 had the return of Sisters of the Moon after 30 years, a Buckingham Nicks demo, a new FM song, Not that Funny, Eyes of the World after 10 years. And as a fan of Stevie's costumes, they certainly were awesome for that.

Stevie showed no courage in 2018. Storms was done 80 times on Unleashed. Black Magic Woman is not her song and she spoke sang her way through it and did her ah-ah-ah-ahs.

If there was not going to be any new music in 2018 and they were truly courageous, they would have done 3 Behind The Mask Songs by Rick and Billy. Dropped Lindsey's 3 songs and do 3 from Time: Talkin To My Heart, Blow by Blow, and I Got It in For You. Stevie would have done Crystal, Angel, Affairs of the Heart, Sara, and No Questions Asked instead of Dreams, Landslide, Gold Dust Woman, Black Magic Woman, and Free Fallin' - keep Rhiannon for the hits fans and Storms so she could sing it to Mick.

If you say so.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-01-2023, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Then why were three covers that FM never played before in a career retrospective tour setlist.
I’ve answered that several times already.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-02-2023, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If you say so.
Same bully of The Ledge who is mean to posters, thinks he's the be all and end all of FM, and belittles people. Different day.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 AM

Was I completely thrown when goat had Lindsey replaced? Sort of devastated and hurt, to be honest.
Did I blame the proper person for the firing? Yes, I believe I had blamed the direct person that caused it.

But, would I pass up the chance to see Christine McVie perform again after crying for years she'd left music and art? Absolutely not.
And she did play keyboards. I could see and hear them. Was it Sergei Rachmaninov, no.... But it was ****ing Christine McVie!

And if we are keeping score. The BTM tour in 1990, Cleveland, was one of the best FM shows I've ever seen. Electric and simply fantastic.
I have to agree with Steve that the Rumours 5 tour (as it was)... getting boring. Same thing every time. The 2018 show did have a few different things. Mostly Mick was unbelievably good that show.
Why was it getting boring. Because there's simply no chemistry left between SN/LB. They both bore me. But the core of FM is still a well oiled and beautiful machine.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-02-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Old 05-02-2023, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Was I completely thrown when goat had Lindsey replaced? Sort of devastated and hurt, to be honest.
Did I blame the proper person for the firing? Yes, I believe I had blamed the direct person that caused it.

But, would I pass up the chance to see Christine McVie perform again after crying for years she'd left music and art? Absolutely not.
And she did play keyboards. I could see and hear them. Was it Sergei Rachmaninov, no.... But it was ****ing Christine McVie!

And if we are keeping score. The BTM tour in 1990, Cleveland, was one of the best FM shows I've ever seen. Electric and simply fantastic.
I have to agree with Steve that the Rumours 5 tour (as it was)... getting boring. Same thing every time. The 2018 show did have a few different things. Mostly Mick was unbelievably good that show.
Why was it getting boring. Because there's simply no chemistry left between SN/LB. They both bore me. But the core of FM is still a well oiled and beautiful machine.
jbrownsjr, I’m in love. Seriously, what a great post. So cool, calm, and collected. And yes, that was a deliberate quote. This idea that Christine performed so incredibly on the Buck/Vie tour but not so on the following FM tour just seemed like a projection of their feelings for FM (and Stevie in particular) than an objective observer. Christine was incredible on that last tour, and was absolutely glowing. Yes, she had aged and the singing showed that, but man, what a night. I’m very thankful we all had the opportunity to see her a few more times live, with Lindsey and with FM.

I also appreciate your acknowledgment that the FM tour had some good things about it, even without Lindsey. Just like the Buck/Vie show had good things about it, and the BTM had good things about that, and the Time tour had good things about that, etc. it’s ok to say that all the various tours had some great qualities, as well as some disappointments, maybe.

I also appreciated your comments about Lindsey’s firing. I was initially shocked and appalled as well, but obviously came to feel way differently about it than many people here. Can you be hurt and angry about Lindsey’s firing AND still enjoy seeing FM live? Both things can be true.