Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Does anyone know what the 'original' double album tracklisting was that caused all the fracas?
That would be cool to see. If there is such a thing.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That would be cool to see. If there is such a thing.
Not Make Believe and Love Minus Zero were included on the limited edition version as bonus tracks.

Not make believe always sounded unfinished to me, I was surprised they let it out the door as bonus material.

Those two tracks would have made a total of 20 tracks. It’s unknown what else was completed.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Not Make Believe and Love Minus Zero were included on the limited edition version as bonus tracks.

Not make believe always sounded unfinished to me, I was surprised they let it out the door as bonus material.

Those two tracks would have made a total of 20 tracks. It’s unknown what else was completed.
“I am waiting” was recorded for Say You Will with Stevie. A clip from the documentary captured it.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post

I actually like "Not Make Believe" I bought the bonus "orange" CD when it came out.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Say You Will was That 70s Show not friends
Good to know. Thnx.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
“I am waiting” was recorded for Say You Will with Stevie. A clip from the documentary captured it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one!!

It seems like the majority of material they had to extend the album into a double album was mostly Lindsey's and not an equal split between he and Stevie. I wonder how much of that influenced the decision in addition to the business and financial factors.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Someone's ripped the audio of that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFDBiDJkhg
Old 04-19-2023, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It was one of the tracks Lindsey had already recorded, and one of the ones that as he says in the documentary "we'll get Stevie's presence on some of my songs". The ripped audio includes some of the vocal arranging he worked on with her and then her actually recording her part.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As per the documentary, Lindsey decidedly didn't want it to sound like Fleetwood Mac. Something like "reinvent ourselves in the most credible possible way" is how he worded it – which in effect means "do something different."
Old 04-19-2023, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
As per the documentary, Lindsey decidedly didn't want it to sound like Fleetwood Mac. Something like "reinvent ourselves in the most credible possible way" is how he worded it – which in effect means "do something different."
Which also tied in to his vision for the tour where he wanted the focus on the music and performance of the instruments. No business attire on Lindsey like The Dance; Lindsey wore weekend casual clothes. He asked the same of Stevie. But I think Say You Will Tour was the last tour of FM or Stevie solo where so many new capes, jackets, hats, gloves, and other belongings of Stevie's were worn on stage. I'm glad she didn't listen to Lindsey for that tour.
2018 Tour had nothing but 2 old shawls.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Will was the album that introduced the band to me. I was a fresh-faced 17-year-old following a band from the '70s wasn't really a vibe in 2003.

I ate this album up every moment of it upon its release, and I still do. The highlights have been covered and we all tend to agree; it's bloated in parts, drags in the middle and is missing Chris. However, the production that was so maligned at the time both on this board and by Stevie has held up. I say this as an unabashed Lindsey fan, the style of production hasn't dated in the same way other music from that period has, look at TISL for evidence. There are enough interesting things happening sonically that your interest as a listener is maintained, this has always been Lindsey's strength as a producer.

As fans, we are gifted 18 tracks in a very limited discography in the grand scope of the band's life. Lastly, we have SYHA and BTLH the last official 5-member Fleetwood Mac recordings, and I adore them.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Does anyone know what the 'original' double album tracklisting was that caused all the fracas?
Buckingham mentioned that 10 of Stevie's songs were under consideration, meaning that "Not Make Believe" was her only song that hit the cutting room floor. In an interview with Guitar World Acoustic in 2006, Buckingham said that "Down on Rodeo" and "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" were also considered. And we saw footage of Buckingham and Nicks recording "I Am Waiting" in the Destiny Rules documentary. It's possible that other songs recorded during the 1995 Ocean Way recording sessions were under consideration ("Right Place to Fade", "Wait For You", and "Gift of Screws"), although this has not been confirmed to my knowledge. However, we can add "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" to the list of songs recorded during the Say You Will sessions.

Here's a transcription of the Guitar World Acoustic interview http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...06-10_016.html

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 04-19-2023 at 10:27 PM..
Old 04-20-2023, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Say You Will was the album that introduced the band to me. I was a fresh-faced 17-year-old following a band from the '70s wasn't really a vibe in 2003….
What a great post. I agree with every word.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Say You Will was the album that introduced the band to me. I was a fresh-faced 17-year-old following a band from the '70s wasn't really a vibe in 2003.
It was The Dance in '97 that locked me in. I was a dorky 13/14 year old kid. While everyone in middle school was jamming to the Backstreet Boys, here I was playing...Fleetwood Mac!?

I agree, while I wish the mix had more air to it, a little less condensed..It's aged far better than a lot of songs on TISL.

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-20-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Old 04-20-2023, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In addition to making a record that was artistically challenging and not pure fluff, I think he envisioned that whole period for the band as a new productive phase that would include multiple albums and tours. A stark difference from other boomer bands falling back on the greatest hits touring model. He mentioned in Destiny Rules the attempt to "string a couple of years together" I He later revealed in other interviews down the road that he had hoped for at least one follow up album to happen in relatively quickly after SYW.

Unfortunately what really happened was a constant uphill battle to get Stevie onboard to do anything in the studio from 2004 onward. The ice cracked a little bit for the 2013 EP, but quickly turned into the stalemate situation. Luckily it gave us Buckingham McVie which is arguably stronger without Stevie (and personally, it's my theory that's what really led to the 2018 friction. Being upstaged)