Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Katz Tapes: 1987 Christine McVie Interview

https://thekatztapes.library.northea...neu:4f16j311v/
Old 01-11-2023, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh wow! Thanks so much for posting. This was incredible for so many reasons. It was recorded right at that unique time of the uncertainty of touring after Tango. Chris says she is unsure about a tour because "some people" like touring more than others.
Chris is so optimistic here. She had just married Eddy 6 months before this recording. One funny moment is her Freudian slip when she says " I don't think the drinking and drugs have stopped" Then she catches herself and says, I do think it has stopped and its a good thing. She talks about John and Stevie's sobriety.
The interviewer is not shy and goes there about her 1984 solo album being underrated. Chris admits to being disappointed with the lack of success of the album. She questioned why so many claimed her album sounded too much like Fleetwood Mac as if that was a bad thing. She has incredible memories of making the album and proudly admits its a damn good album and she will always be impressed by it. She talks about doing another solo album and hoped it would be more successful the next year (1988).
The interviewer says he was going to interview Lindsey next. Oh wow I hope someone finds that interview and posts it. His post Tango pre-leaving era is fascinating.
Listening to this interview brought back so many memories of being so excited for the new album in 1987 and possible tour. BTW, who was the original producer of Tango that did not work out? Chris says they hired a producer that the 5 over powered and did not work out.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-11-2023 at 07:24 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn’t she say it was Russ?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2023, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And Lindsey

https://thekatztapes.library.northea...neu:4f16nx22v/
Old 01-11-2023, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, he was pompous and insufferable.

The whole Bryan Adams/Kodo thing was just so…unnecessary.

Also, I didn’t realize the painting/moving making analogy had been around that long.

And why would they have gotten an English guitarist?!? Not that there’s anything wrong with English guitarists, but that was so…oddly specific. Did he think Clapton was still an option for Fleetwood Mac? Was he thinking Jeff Beck (R.I.P.)?

That said, the irony of him saying in 1987 that he didn’t see himself doing Fleetwood Mac in ten years was kind of priceless.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2023, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Wow, he was pompous and insufferable.

The whole Bryan Adams/Kodo thing was just so…unnecessary.

Also, I didn’t realize the painting/moving making analogy had been around that long.

And why would they have gotten an English guitarist?!? Not that there’s anything wrong with English guitarists, but that was so…oddly specific. Did he think Clapton was still an option for Fleetwood Mac? Was he thinking Jeff Beck (R.I.P.)?

That said, the irony of him saying in 1987 that he didn’t see himself doing Fleetwood Mac in ten years was kind of priceless.
In 1982 (Creem magazine) he said he did not see himself touring after he turned 40
Old 01-12-2023, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn’t she say it was Russ?
Russ produced her solo album. I did not hear her say he was the producer for Tango unless I missed it. She said the band hired a producer who did not work out. I dont think she mentioned a name.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
OMG. These are so juicy. I cant get enough. So much information. Usually we get the same questions and answers from the Mac about the breaking up stories told to death.

Who was the band member who's lawyer brought the first producer? Irving? Lindsey was supposed to come in and do his 4 songs and leave. After several days they figured it was not going to work and Lindsey took over.

Lindsey says Big Love and Family Man are the songs from his solo album that was in the works. Lindsey also says its Stevie on Family Man. Wow!!!!!

You can tell Lindsey is not that happy. He does not commit to touring and says if it does happen it should not happen until the next year (1988).

Both Chris and Lindey both sort of bash Mirage for being what the audience wanted. However Lindsey describes Tango as a radio album with lots of singles. What's the difference? IMHO Mirage is a much superior album.

Lindsey was right about a few things in the future. He predicts a year after its release Tango will have a single still floating out there. He says if its the last Mac album its an album he is proud of. It would be the last album of these 5.

These interviews are so unique that they take place right before the band would change forever. Its only weeks before the big blow out at Christine's house. Once Lindsey left all the dynamics changed. So its interesting to read the tea leaves listening to these interviews.

Thanks again for posting. What a find!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-12-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Old 01-12-2023, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Its so funny to remember in the 1980s and then being 40 was really old. Its funny when Lindsey starts counting the ages and guess that Chris and John are now 40. Then the interviewer mentions that Bill Wyman of the Stones is a whopping 50 years old and touring. It was almost shocking and the Stones were mocked for touring in their early 50s
Old 01-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But now they're all dying. Because they're playing right up to the jumping off point now. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they'd want to tour past being 70. Their bodies aching, and their memory going.

Give me a house on the water, with neighbors who share my love for red wine. The end.
"Ooh look, there's a hottie on the beach!"
Old 01-12-2023, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But now they're all dying. Because they're playing right up to the jumping off point now. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they'd want to tour past being 70. Their bodies aching, and their memory going.

Give me a house on the water, with neighbors who share my love for red wine. The end.
"Ooh look, there's a hottie on the beach!"
That's what they thought they wanted to do when they were in their 40s. Chris hung it up and lived in her refurbished beautiful house. The Eagle's Hell Freezes Over tour seemed to change everything. Bands made some good coin when going on tour in the 70s and 80s. By the 90s and beyond touring is so lucrative it lures them back. Even Lindsey who was not thrilled with going on tour with the Mac changed his tune in the 90s. Just think, Stevie grossed more money on one tour in 2016-1017 24K Gold tour than all over her other tours combined. There are such big bucks at stake, it makes them do it. As they say, everyone has their price. John was completely happy on his boat in 1987 but he eventually came back.
Lindsey is not solo touring for the money. Its something that he finally enjoys doing with his craft.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's what they thought they wanted to do when they were in their 40s. Chris hung it up and lived in her refurbished beautiful house. The Eagle's Hell Freezes Over tour seemed to change everything. Bands made some good coin when going on tour in the 70s and 80s. By the 90s and beyond touring is so lucrative it lures them back. Even Lindsey who was not thrilled with going on tour with the Mac changed his tune in the 90s. Just think, Stevie grossed more money on one tour in 2016-1017 24K Gold tour than all over her other tours combined. There are such big bucks at stake, it makes them do it. As they say, everyone has their price. John was completely happy on his boat in 1987 but he eventually came back.
Lindsey is not solo touring for the money. Its something that he finally enjoys doing with his craft.
If I had 50 million bucks, I wouldn't care. You can only spend so much(unless you're idiot Mick).
Old 01-12-2023, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
In 1982 (Creem magazine) he said he did not see himself touring after he turned 40
I remember Christine saying she didn’t see her doing it at 50. She was 47 at the time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2023, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember Christine saying she didn’t see her doing it at 50. She was 47 at the time.
She was 54 in 1997 (The Dance) and it seems she didn't enjoy it so at that time it made sense. But people change and in 2014 I could see she really enjoyed On With The Show.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great interview. Talking to her is like talking to a thoroughly pleasant, thoughtful, warm person. So un-Hollywood. No ego.

What gives this chat an added interest is the timing in the band’s history. So much uncertainly — which was unsettling but potentially exciting. I remember hoping TANGO would be the start of a new run of FM records with this lineup, but upon hearing it, Lindsey’s imminent break away, forcing the band to reorganize itself, was apparent. Stevie sounded like she had come to the (sad) end of her career, Christine’s (excellent) pop tunes felt engineered to BE hits as opposed to emerging as hits. And all of Lindsey’s material, save the title track, sounded as if it were recorded alone by him. Tango is a contrived success, a calculated project—but a massively appealing one.

What pleased me about MASK (which I otherwise hated) is to hear how strong Christine and Stevie’s vocals sounded minus the synths and engineering. The arrangements were generic late 80s fare but you could tell beneath all that that the women still had a lot to give…