Old 04-18-2022, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well said.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I can see the love for Paper Doll but I don't share it. What irks me is the overuse of the word "well". We were mirrors of our former selves WELL... overwrought and overemphasized in a not so great vocal part. Well made so many appearances in her lyrics over the Rock a Little onwards, well it's worthless thing so... and in Thousand Days, similar to Paper Doll. But, that said, well is used to great effect in older songs like Races are Run- if we could start again, well, who knows have we really changed. The difference is that the line has follow through and connects to the next phrase where later, it was left dangling. So in the end, well, ruins Paper Doll and so many other songs for me.
I listened to Paper Doll after reading this post, expecting to hear the word ‘well’ numerous times, but I only counted 4. That’s fine, I’m not criticizing you, we all have idiosyncrasies, but hearing the word 4 times didn’t bother me, nor would it have been something that caught my attention. Now if she has said it 10 times I might have noticed and been turned off LOL.

For me, Paper Doll is a song I like because I love Fleetwood Mac, but if someone else had recorded it, I’m quite certain I would never have given it another listen. I can also completely see how this song was not a hit. It’s not rock, it’s not pop, it’s not country, it’s almost a folk song on acid. I heard it one time on my local radio station when it was released, and it clearly didn’t catch on locally, let alone anywhere else. I really felt the same way about every one of her songs on BTM- I remember thinking “wow, there’s not one solo Stevie song I could imagine being a single or on the radio.”
Old 04-18-2022, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I really felt the same way about every one of her songs on BTM- I remember thinking “wow, there’s not one solo Stevie song I could imagine being a single or on the radio.”
She didn't have one on Tango either. Sandy Stewart supplied the hit single.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
She didn't have one on Tango either. Sandy Stewart supplied the hit single.
Yeah, I’m the only person on this board who doesn’t care who writes the song. As far as I’m concerned, the singer is just as important, if not more so, than the songwriter. Crystal and I Don’t Want to Know are two of my favorite Lindsey songs, and I don’t care that Stevie wrote them. Seven Wonders is a Stevie song in my eyes because she sang it- just like every song Christine gave FM after Mirage was co-written by Eddy Quintala, but as long as Christine sang it, it’s a Christine song. To me, anyway- maybe not to anyone else here.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I’m the only person on this board who doesn’t care who writes the song. As far as I’m concerned, the singer is just as important, if not more so, than the songwriter. Crystal and I Don’t Want to Know are two of my favorite Lindsey songs, and I don’t care that Stevie wrote them. Seven Wonders is a Stevie song in my eyes because she sang it- just like every song Christine gave FM after Mirage was co-written by Eddy Quintala, but as long as Christine sang it, it’s a Christine song. To me, anyway- maybe not to anyone else here.
I call Seven Wonders a Stevie song. Would you call "Crash Into Me" and "Rock and Roll" Stevie Nicks songs?

I Don't Want To Know is a duet though isn't it?

Isn't It Midnight was co-written with E.Q. and L.B.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I’m the only person on this board who doesn’t care who writes the song. As far as I’m concerned, the singer is just as important, if not more so, than the songwriter.
So, you're telling me it's the singer, not the song?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2022, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I call Seven Wonders a Stevie song. Would you call "Crash Into Me" and "Rock and Roll" Stevie Nicks songs?
The difference there is that, to my knowledge, Sandy Stewart wrote the song for Stevie, and Stevie added some additional lyrics, which isn't exactly the same thing as two covers of massive hits that had nothing to do with Stevie.

Quote:
I Don't Want To Know is a duet though isn't it?
And, it's authorship has recently come under question, since the lyrics are much more like something Lindsey would have written and Stevie's never performed the song since early 1975.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-19-2022, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, you're telling me it's the singer, not the song?
Did you ever notice... that's the only song from the Gift of Screws bootleg not to make it onto a subsequent album? Wait, so is Got To Get Away.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The difference there is that, to my knowledge, Sandy Stewart wrote the song for Stevie, and Stevie added some additional lyrics, which isn't exactly the same thing as two covers of massive hits that had nothing to do with Stevie.
I agree with you. Stevie's lyric contribution for Seven Wonders was "All the way down to Emmaline".
I consider Everyday, Talk to Me, Sometimes It's a Bitch, Stop Draggin' Stevie songs too. But I don't consider Just Like a Woman or Carousel Stevie Nicks songs because they were released first by someone else. But they are good covers by Stevie.

Quote:
And, it's authorship has recently come under question, since the lyrics are much more like something Lindsey would have written and Stevie's never performed the song since early 1975.
It's rather than its?!!! I believe it's a Stevie composition. The talk of listening to your spirit, trying to survive, standing between you and love. It sounds Stevieish.
Stevie said she resents the song because it replaced Silver Springs on the album. I wish she would've dons it with Neil.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welllllllllll, i don’t think you do.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with you. Stevie's lyric contribution for Seven Wonders was "All the way down to Emmaline".
I consider Everyday, Talk to Me, Sometimes It's a Bitch, Stop Draggin' Stevie songs too. But I don't consider Just Like a Woman or Carousel Stevie Nicks songs because they were released first by someone else. But they are good covers by Stevie.

It's rather than its?!!! I believe it's a Stevie composition. The talk of listening to your spirit, trying to survive, standing between you and love. It sounds Stevieish.
Stevie said she resents the song because it replaced Silver Springs on the album. I wish she would've dons it with Neil.
I feel exactly as you do about all those songs you mentioned being Stevie songs. And here I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

As for I Don’t Want to Know, no way do I believe Stevie didn’t write that. The whole reason they put that song on the album was to placate her because they took Silver Springs off Rumours- I hardly think taking SS off and putting a song written by Lindsey on instead would have made her feel better.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel exactly as you do about all those songs you mentioned being Stevie songs. And here I thought I was the only one who felt that way.
Yep, Some Become Strangers, I Will Run To You, Too Far From Texas, Maybe Love, Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go are all Stevie songs to me.

Now I consider I Still Miss Someone, I Need To Know, Docklands, and Cry Wolf to be covers. Do you consider them to be Stevie Nicks songs? Just interested.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep, Some Become Strangers, I Will Run To You, Too Far From Texas, Maybe Love, Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go are all Stevie songs to me.

Now I consider I Still Miss Someone, I Need To Know, Docklands, and Cry Wolf to be covers. Do you consider them to be Stevie Nicks songs? Just interested.
Nope, I’m right there with you! What do you think about Blue Letter and the Farmer’s Daughter? Fleetwood Mac songs or covers?

And to make this subject even more complicated, what are your thoughts about Make Me a Mask? Do you consider that song a FM song?
Old 04-19-2022, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nope, I’m right there with you! What do you think about Blue Letter and the Farmer’s Daughter? Fleetwood Mac songs or covers?

And to make this subject even more complicated, what are your thoughts about Make Me a Mask? Do you consider that song a FM song?
Farmer's Daughter is a cover to me. Blue Letter is an FM song for me because it was first released by FM, but it's also a Curtis Bros song because they wrote it. It's like If You Ever Did Believe is a Louis Goffin song but it's a Stevie song because she wrote it. Or Everyday is a Stevie song but it's also a Damon Johnson song because he wrote it.

Make Me a Mask is a Lindsey solo song to me.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Farmer's Daughter is a cover to me. Blue Letter is an FM song for me because it was first released by FM, but it's also a Curtis Bros song because they wrote it. It's like If You Ever Did Believe is a Louis Goffin song but it's a Stevie song because she wrote it. Or Everyday is a Stevie song but it's also a Damon Johnson song because he wrote it.

Make Me a Mask is a Lindsey solo song to me.
Yep to everything you said. Blue Letter is such a great song, and Lindsey sings it so well, and it even sounds like a song Lindsey would write LOL! Blue Letter is a perfect example of why I wish both FM and their individual members had performed more songs written by other people. I’d love to have heard songs written for Lindsey by someone like Michael Stipe or Brandi Carlisle, for example.