User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Yeah, I think that was a very real possibility back then. A possibility that was shattered when the other's became reluctant to have her sign on to the album but not tour, for fear of one of her songs becoming a hit. Which I still think is kind of lame but I guess if they weren't comfortable with it....
Well she was always the one most likely to have a hit, with the "FM sound". So I can see why they wouldn't want her on the album, unless they refused to release her songs as singles....and then what would be the point?
They go on tour with a new hit single, but it's Christine's, so they can't play it?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i don't know how recent this pic is, but she looks great!

http://b1027.com/christine-mcvie-rec...ours-sessions/

Christine McVie Recalls ‘Rumours’ Sessions
By Crash 1 week ago

(Getty Images)

Christine McVie came briefly out of retirement to talk about her work on Fleetwood Mac’s classic 1977 Rumours album. McVie, who quit the band in 1998, told Mojo that when Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band in late-1974, she immediately knew she had to step up her game, explaining, “When Stevie and Lindsey joined I was in awe of the way they wrote and sang together. It was tough to compete and be good enough. I wasn’t a prolific writer to any degree. I didn’t start writing songs properly until I joined Fleetwood Mac. I was quite a novice on (1972′s) Bare Trees and (1971′s) Future Games.”

When asked if she was in touch with her former bandmates, McVie said: “I am in touch with (ex-husband) John (McVie) very often. Stevie and Lindsey not so often.”

She spoke about the weird situation of finally catching a Fleetwood Mac concert as an audience member, joking, “I have a really good time when I go. I can stand at the soundboard and watch them sweat. They do my songs, ‘Don’t Stop’ and ‘World Turning,’ but they are limited to what they can do of mine. I think they tried ‘You Make Loving Fun,’ but I don’t think the sound of their vocals were right. But I wish them well.”

In 2003 Christine McVie says that after attending a then-recent Fleetwood Mac concert in London, she had no regrets about splitting from the band and leaving the road behind: “I just felt kind of relieved, if you want to know the truth, ’cause I, I went backstage afterwards, and they were all so tired, and, I just don’t think I could do that anymore. It’s kind of, if you like, verified that I’d made the right decision.”

Fleetwood Mac will release two expanded versions of Rumours on January 29th, featuring a remastered version of the multi-platinum collection, along with two discs of outtakes, and a new “making of” documentary.

The band — featuring Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie — kicks off its 34-date North American tour on April 4th at Columbus, Ohio’s Nationwide Arena.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't know how recent this pic is, but she looks great!

http://b1027.com/christine-mcvie-rec...ours-sessions/

Christine McVie Recalls ‘Rumours’ Sessions
By Crash 1 week ago

(Getty Images)

Christine McVie came briefly out of retirement to talk about her work on Fleetwood Mac’s classic 1977 Rumours album. McVie, who quit the band in 1998, told Mojo that when Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band in late-1974, she immediately knew she had to step up her game, explaining, “When Stevie and Lindsey joined I was in awe of the way they wrote and sang together. It was tough to compete and be good enough. I wasn’t a prolific writer to any degree. I didn’t start writing songs properly until I joined Fleetwood Mac. I was quite a novice on (1972′s) Bare Trees and (1971′s) Future Games.”

When asked if she was in touch with her former bandmates, McVie said: “I am in touch with (ex-husband) John (McVie) very often. Stevie and Lindsey not so often.”

She spoke about the weird situation of finally catching a Fleetwood Mac concert as an audience member, joking, “I have a really good time when I go. I can stand at the soundboard and watch them sweat. They do my songs, ‘Don’t Stop’ and ‘World Turning,’ but they are limited to what they can do of mine. I think they tried ‘You Make Loving Fun,’ but I don’t think the sound of their vocals were right. But I wish them well.”

In 2003 Christine McVie says that after attending a then-recent Fleetwood Mac concert in London, she had no regrets about splitting from the band and leaving the road behind: “I just felt kind of relieved, if you want to know the truth, ’cause I, I went backstage afterwards, and they were all so tired, and, I just don’t think I could do that anymore. It’s kind of, if you like, verified that I’d made the right decision.”

Fleetwood Mac will release two expanded versions of Rumours on January 29th, featuring a remastered version of the multi-platinum collection, along with two discs of outtakes, and a new “making of” documentary.

The band — featuring Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie — kicks off its 34-date North American tour on April 4th at Columbus, Ohio’s Nationwide Arena.
I think that photo was taken when she won her songwriting award at an event in London in 2006(?).
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Goodness, Chris is almost as bad about them being sooooo tired after a concert as Lindsey is with the bridges. I mean, they may be a little breathless, but they aren't falling down dead, especially if there is someone backstage with whom they want to socialize.

But this does remind me of an interview they gave around New Year's Eve in 2003, I think. It was right after a show. Lindsey was practically comatose. He and John stared like zombies and Stevie and Mick were giggling like idiots and holding each other, while the other two were completely oblivious. Mick kept saying, "we're not dead yet," but I wasn't quite sure. Hilarious.

Michele
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Goodness, Chris is almost as bad about them being sooooo tired after a concert as Lindsey is with the bridges. I mean, they may be a little breathless, but they aren't falling down dead, especially if there is someone backstage with whom they want to socialize.

But this does remind me of an interview they gave around New Year's Eve in 2003, I think. It was right after a show. Lindsey was practically comatose. He and John stared like zombies and Stevie and Mick were giggling like idiots and holding each other, while the other two were completely oblivious. Mick kept saying, "we're not dead yet," but I wasn't quite sure. Hilarious.

Michele
wow, would love to see that one!

maybe that's why LB's one man shows were so short? he needed to be less than comatose for all those m&gs he was doing, i guess so he doesn't say something he didn't intend to.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=elle;1070838]
Christine McVie ... she immediately knew she had to step up her game, explaining, “When Stevie and Lindsey joined I was in awe of the way they wrote and sang together. It was tough to compete and be good enough. I wasn’t a prolific writer to any degree. I didn’t start writing songs properly until I joined Fleetwood Mac. I was quite a novice on (1972′s) Bare Trees and (1971′s) Future Games.”
They do my songs, ‘Don’t Stop’ and ‘World Turning,’ but they are limited to what they can do of mine. I think they tried ‘You Make Loving Fun,’ but I don’t think the sound of their vocals were right. But I wish them well.”

“I just felt kind of relieved, if you want to know the truth, ’cause I, I went backstage afterwards, and they were all so tired, and, I just don’t think I could do that anymore. It’s kind of, if you like, verified that I’d made the right decision.”
[QUOTE]

Wow, what a classy lady! Thx for posting!

I must say that Chris is a class act and sold herself a little short when talking about "stepping up her game". Her songs were the ones that were radio hits!
She's very humble and sensitive to her former friends/colleagues...it makes her even more endearing.

my original post was intended (if an album would transpire) that Chris could do a few "one-off " shows in London and the surrounding areas...all filmed like "Dance". But I totally get her not wanting to be "lured back in" and the other members not being able to perform a "new" hit by her.

Cheers to wishful thinking!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
maybe that's why LB's one man shows were so short? he needed to be less than comatose for all those m&gs he was doing, i guess so he doesn't say something he didn't intend to.
Yes, this was some kind of show where they broadcast a number or two from the SYW tour and then talked to FM, right after the concert was over. It was not in the United States. Anyway, it looked like right after the show was not a good time to stick a mic in Lindsey's face.

Michele
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It felt really good to hear from Christine again! I still miss her...

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Just listened to Spare Me A Little, what an amazing novice tune..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Just listened to Spare Me A Little, what an amazing novice tune..
Ha! I know, right? I have always loved her live performances of that tune from 1973-77 more than the Bare Trees version, but even that is more than merely good. Have you ever heard her first version of that from the 1970 tour? It was awful!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Ha! I know, right? I have always loved her live performances of that tune from 1973-77 more than the Bare Trees version, but even that is more than merely good. Have you ever heard her first version of that from the 1970 tour? It was awful!
No, I've heard I'd Rather Go Blind from 1970 live. Did she do Spare Me before 1972?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, I've heard I'd Rather Go Blind from 1970 live. Did she do Spare Me before 1972?
Yep. It sounded more like a Grateful Dead song than Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Regurgitation of Mojo interview, but since I took a picture of it, rather than typed it out, I thought it would be good to post text, in case there is the need to cut and paste later]

Christine McVie at Peace With Fleetwood Mac Past, by Sterling Whitaker
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris...wood-mac-past/

Christine McVie enjoyed a wild ride as a member of Fleetwood Mac, but nowadays the retired rocker prefers a quiet life out of the spotlight. In a new interview, the legendary singer and songwriter shares her fond and not-so-fond memories of the past, and says she has no problem with her former bandmates moving on without her.

McVie looks back on the landmark album ‘Rumours’ in a rare public interview with Mojo magazine. Released in February of 1977, the album spawned a string of commercial hits including ‘Don’t Stop,’ ‘The Chain’ and ‘Dreams.’ McVie contributed ‘You Make Loving Fun,’ ‘Don’t Stop,’ ‘Oh Daddy’ and ‘Songbird,’ but she recalls that her rocky relationship with ex-husband John McVie, as well as the strain between Lindsey Buckingham and Steve Nicks, made for a stressful situation.

“John and I have long since made friends, and I’m sure Stevie and Lindsey have as well. But I am often still flabbergasted at how the hell we managed to make [the album] in the first place,” McVie says incredulously. “But that was what tied us together — we knew that the music was good. The chemistry was such that we brought the best out in each other.”

Still, McVie acknowledges that the group’s crazy, drug-fueled antics impacted the recording sessions. “They were wild days,” she admits. “I can’t deny there was a lot of lunacy in the studio. But Stevie and I rented a condominium in Sausalito to get away from all of that. It was the boys who all stayed at the Record Plant house. So that’s where all the madness was happening.”

The musician still enjoys the music on ‘Rumours’ after all these years. “It was a real pleasure to listen to it again,” she states. “I’ve had it lying around but not listened to it for years. It’s like if you live next door to Buckingham Palace, you don’t go and look at it every day.”

McVie departed Fleetwood Mac in 1998, returned to her native England and has since kept a very low profile. She has seen her old band in concert a few times since, though she has steadfastly not joined them onstage. “I have a really good time when I go. I can stand at the sound board and watch them sweat,” she says with a laugh. “They do my songs, ‘Don’t Stop’ and ‘World Turning,’ but they are limited to what they can do of mine. I think they tried ‘You Make Loving Fun,’ but I don’t think the sound of their vocals were right. But I wish them well.”

McVie appears to have no future plan to return to music, and she says she has shelved any plans she once had of opening a restaurant, which was part of her intent when she left the group. “I didn’t open a restaurant but I did go to a few cooking schools,” she says, adding, “It was too much like hard work!”
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yep. It sounded more like a Grateful Dead song than Fleetwood Mac.
Haha! I can surely see that. Any recordings of it?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha! I can surely see that. Any recordings of it?
Send me a private message with your personal email. I will look for the file. It's a really bad vocal. Her vocal on I'd Rather Go Blind, however, was great.