The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2021, 01:36 PM

^^^^ There are third party share rights (sometimes in perpetuity or a limit). There are residuals. There are producer rights, publishing rights, writer rights.... It's crazy. And to do the accounting is crazy, as well.

It's probably a nightmare. I used to do contracts for film catalogues (a tad different than music) . I hated it and it still doesn't make sense to me.

What I do know is that the distributor normally takes in the income. Then splits it out per the contracts of the producer and publisher etc.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay - even though this doesn't cover everything(obviously), here's what Bob wrote to me about copyrights, several years ago.
---------------------------------------------------
No, the publishers don't have to ask permission...although it's considered courteous if they at least run it by you. I'm not the "publisher" of Sentimental Lady. I own the "writers share" which is 50% of all income from the song. On other songs , like Ebony Eyes for example, I own 3/4 of the song ; the 50% "publishers share" is split 50/50 between me and EMI Music. If I owned Sentimental Lady 100% , I could turn down any given commercial if I wanted...because I would be the publisher, and the advertiser must get whats called a "sync" liscence . As far as the amount of money...it all depends on the specific deal. For example , supposedly Led Zepplin sold "Rock And Roll" outright (100%) to Cadillac for $1,000,000.00. The more well known any given song is , the more money it's worth. Sentimental Lady is pretty far up in the ranking since it was a top 5 "hit" , and is still played. The lowest price for a song like that is usually from $35,000.00-$50,000.00 and up. It also depends on the budget of the company that's doing the advertising. The writer and publisher also make money from the "performance societies" ,i.e. ASCAP and BMI every time the commercial is played. If it's played (shown) a lot nationwide , or worldwide , this can really add up . Basically , the publishers called us up and said that ask.com was "maybe" gonna' use the song. Then we heard nothing for a month...and then a friend called us up to say she'd seen it. So much for "being in the loop " ;-) Bob Welch
----------------------------------------------------
Edit - it's weird to me to post Bob's response to me, now that he's gone. It makes me sad to read it. I don't want to delete it.....it's just weird to read his words. An integral member in FM's history, and easily the most accessible. Rest in peace, Bob.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 08-15-2021 at 01:29 AM..
Old 08-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Between Christine and Lindsey we now have 48 of 68 songs on the band’s most successful albums.”
Ok. This sounds a little jabby to me. But I support it.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That was the only excuse she could come up with, when put on the spot!
That's pretty funny. I always tell my mother to plan her lie in advance, so that she won't be scrambling when the time comes. She stopped driving and I knew her family members would be asking to drive her car, because they can't bear to think of it sitting in the garage minding its own business when they could be driving it.

I said, "Mom, think of an excuse why they can't drive it NOW. Don't wait until they ask you because then you'll be caught off guard and the next thing you know, they'll be grabbing your car keys."

Poor Christine didn't want to tell Lindsey, "I just really can't stand you," so she thought of the house thing instead.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
OMG now Michele is going to pounce on me to try to find that 1988 Billboard article I had stating Christine sold her publishing.
Your hallucination.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Variety didn’t say for how much, but Hypgnosis said that by buying her catalog, she’s finally reunited with Lindsey Buckingham LOL whose catalog they previously acquired.
I want to know how much they all got, Mick, Lindsey and Christine. I guess no one wants to say because it would pale in comparison to Stevie's haul, but I'm dying of curiousity.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay - even though this doesn't cover everything(obviously), here's what Bob wrote to me about copyrights, several years ago.
---------------------------------------------------
No, the publishers don't have to ask permission...although it's considered courteous if they at least run it by you. I'm not the "publisher" of Sentimental Lady. I own the "writers share" which is 50% of all income from the song. On other songs , like Ebony Eyes for example, I own 3/4 of the song ; the 50% "publishers share" is split 50/50 between me and EMI Music. If I owned Sentimental Lady 100% , I could turn down any given commercial if I wanted...because I would be the publisher, and the advertiser must get whats called a "sync" liscence . As far as the amount of money...it all depends on the specific deal. For example , supposedly Led Zepplin sold "Rock And Roll" outright (100%) to Cadillac for $1,000,000.00. The more well known any given song is , the more money it's worth. Sentimental Lady is pretty far up in the ranking since it was a top 5 "hit" , and is still played. The lowest price for a song like that is usually from $35,000.00-$50,000.00 and up. It also depends on the budget of the company that's doing the advertising. The writer and publisher also make money from the "performance societies" ,i.e. ASCAP and BMI every time the commercial is played. If it's played (shown) a lot nationwide , or worldwide , this can really add up . Basically , the publishers called us up and said that ask.com was "maybe" gonna' use the song. Then we heard nothing for a month...and then a friend called us up to say she'd seen it. So much for "being in the loop " ;-) Bob Welch
----------------------------------------------------
Edit - it's weird to me to post Bob's response to me, now that he's gone. It makes me sad to read it. I don't want to delete it.....it's just weird to read his words. An integral member in FM's history, and easily the most accessible. Rest in peace, Bob.
this is why in the beginning (well, at least starting with Rumours) they all were their own publishers... Stevie had Welsh Witch Music, Lindsey had Now Sounds, Chris had... was it Gentoo?? So they would have publisher rights AND songwriter rights. Maybe because of the accounting nightmare they eventually partnered with ..was it Kobalt? or somebody and gave whoever it was some % in exchange for handling all the business tracking/royalty paying part of it. (This was one of the reasons so many artists were selling now before they kick, according to one of the many articles that came out on all this.People just wanted to leave the $ to heirs and not the headache of sorting out royalties etc especially when their heirs weren't going to be savvy about how it all worked and possibly get majorly ripped off). But FM had a publishing entity which was them as a group, I believe.... so everyone kinda got some sort of slice of the $$ pie from each other's material as well (which would benefit John and Mick the most as they would have no other songwriting or publishing royalties as non-writers. Someone else may know more.

I copied one article somewhere in one of these threads in which Mick basically said having all this money up front now would allow him to do things he wouldn't be able to do for more years (i.e., after more lucrative tours. Now they've all cashed out, the impetus or incentive for more big tours goes wayyy down). One imagines maybe he meant his restaurant, and whatever other splurges he wants before he kicks. I don't recall he said anything about what he could leave to his kids, just what he would need money to do and that having the cash now meant he could do those things sooner rather than later. we all KNOW he'll be broke again in a few years.

Stevie notoriously gave away rights to songs willy-nilly back in the day, including numerous boyfriends. The lay that keeps on giving! We know the rights Silver Springs went to her mother, it would be interesting to know who the mother left them to-- if she didn't specify it likely went to Stevie and her brother as her heirs. Beautiful Child went to UNICEF but not clear if that was in perpetuity or for x number of years. I think Sara went to a boyfriend .... can't recall what else. If she was smart she never gave anyone else a piece of Landslide as that one alone would have paid her til her kicked.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I copied one article somewhere in one of these threads in which Mick basically said having all this money up front now would allow him to do things he wouldn't be able to do for more years (i.e., after more lucrative tours. Now they've all cashed out, the impetus or incentive for more big tours goes wayyy down). One imagines maybe he meant his restaurant, and whatever other splurges he wants before he kicks. I don't recall he said anything about what he could leave to his kids, just what he would need money to do and that having the cash now meant he could do those things sooner rather than later. we all KNOW he'll be broke again in a few years.
Do you really think Mick intends on leaving anything for anyone? I mean, on paper, yes. I leave you $10,000,000.00!!!!

In reality, they're left owing his bar tab down the street. Such is the life of Mick....
Old 08-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's pretty funny. I always tell my mother to plan her lie in advance, so that she won't be scrambling when the time comes. She stopped driving and I knew her family members would be asking to drive her car, because they can't bear to think of it sitting in the garage minding its own business when they could be driving it.

I said, "Mom, think of an excuse why they can't drive it NOW. Don't wait until they ask you because then you'll be caught off guard and the next thing you know, they'll be grabbing your car keys."

Poor Christine didn't want to tell Lindsey, "I just really can't stand you," so she thought of the house thing instead.
I do the same. When I'm facing a messy situation, I know what the outcome MUST be, and know the navigational points to get there. People are sheep, you just have to guide them to their destiny.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I do the same. When I'm facing a messy situation, I know what the outcome MUST be, and know the navigational points to get there. People are sheep, you just have to guide them to their destiny.
How could you say people are sheep in a FM message board? ???
Old 08-18-2021, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How could you say people are sheep in a FM message board? ???
I can be BRUTALLY honest.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I can be BRUTALLY honest.
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think Crest should do a commercial to "The smile I live for"
Old 08-18-2021, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Crest should do a commercial to "The smile I live for"
And then she removes her dentures and lays them on the piano.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
And then she removes her dentures and lays them on the piano.
And Lindsey puts them in his mouth and smiles for the guitar solo.