The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Oakdale theater in town was busted with violations with their sound level outside the venue .

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/walli...r-alleged.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meriden, CT Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Published: January 21, 2015 | Last Modified: January 23, 2015 04:02PM
By Eric Vo Record-Journal staff

WALLINGFORD — The town recently issued a cease-and-desist order to the Toyota Oakdale Theatre, saying the music venue is violating its permit by holding concerts in an area that was supposed to be used as a lobby. Live Nation Worldwide Inc. countered by filing an appeal and is expected to make its case at a meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals next month.

The cease-and-desist order was issued last month, but the town detailed the Oakdale violations in a letter by Town Planner Kacie in July. The town says the theater is also violating its permit by exceeding noise levels and using an unapproved parking area. Corporation Counsel Janis Small said Wednesday that she expects the town to cite Oakdale for additional violations.

“Based upon a site visit ... this office has concluded that you are in violation of certain elements of your special permit and associated site plan,” Costello wrote in a July 17 letter. “Specifically, the violations that this office is aware of are as follows: you are holding events within the ‘dome’ ... There is noise that can be heard from outside of the building ... Your approved parking layout and circulation did not incorporate any ‘VIP Parking Area’ ...”

Joan Molloy, a Wallingford attorney representing Live Nation, said she believes Costello is misinterpreting Oakdale’s permit.

“We certainly recognize that the town has an issue with some of the operations at the Oakdale,” Molloy said Wednesday. “We’re trying to work with the town ... and understand their issues and coming up with a solution to them.”

The company agreed to various conditions in its special permit in 1989, Costello said Wednesday. The dome was only be used as a lobby, she said. Numerous concerts are held in the area, which is known as “The Dome at Toyota Oakdale Theatre.” Two shows are scheduled in January and another five between February and June.

Costello also wrote that the Planning and Zoning Department received complaints from neighbors about noise and vibration levels and traffic. Small said the town has received complaints about noise levels at the Oakdale for years, but it became more prevalent when the venue began hosting concerts featuring electronic dance music.

“The town is looking into it. It’s a serious noise problem,” Small said. “At some point, the town needs to address it.”

Brooks Acoustics Corp., a Vernon-based company, measured sound levels at houses near the Oakdale in September. The study found that the music theater “did not exceed the sound emission limits of the Wallingford noise ordinance,” according to a Sept. 17 letter written by company president Bennett Brooks.

Despite the findings, the company developed “sound mitigation recommendations” for the main theater, including properly sealing a fire exit on the west side of the main theater; installing sub-woofer vibration isolation pads; and imposing a sound level limit during shows at the main theater.

The town also takes issue with a “VIP Parking Area” in the Oakdale lot, which is located closest to the South Turnpike Road exit. This lot has to be approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission, “as it could potentially impact the parking layout and circulation as approved,” Costello wrote.

The ZBA is expected to discuss the appeal at its February meeting. ZBA Chairman Michael Glidden said he couldn’t comment on the specific case, but added the process is different than a person seeking a special exception or zoning variance.

“We’re looking at the legality of the zoning (enforcement) officer,” Glidden said. “What kind of documents are there? What do our regulations say and is there testimony that needs to be presented?”

evo@record-journal.com (203) 317-2235 Twitter: @EricVoRJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend and his wife went on vaca for a week so I was taking care of their cat for a week at their condo which is right next to the venues parking lot.I said holy wow the band playing there is loud tonight.

They just have to sound proof the building better were the problem is.

"Fitz and the Tantrums," in the photo .I never heard of them .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'd say the loudest and clearest volume was The Rolling Stones at Seattle Coliseum 18th July 1975.
I was standing directly underneath the speakers. I can still hear how clear it was! They are one band who, at least in those days, spent good money on good sound technicians and good sound equipment.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 PM

That's really interesting. I've never been to RS. I wish I had gone to one of those.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's really interesting. I've never been to RS. I wish I had gone to one of those.
I ONLY saw them on the Steel Wheels tour, in what, 1990? Because everyone was saying it was the last time they were ever going to tour.

They've been on tour ever since!!!
Old 09-08-2021, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The loudest concert I ever attended was Motley Crue Theater of Pain tour. My ears were ringing and I was partially deaf for hours. AC/DC packs a punch too but the Crue was by far the loudest concert I experienced. I heard the Who was always the loudest but I never saw them in concert. IMHO, I don't think concerts are as loud as they used to be. So much has changed. I just hate the way concerts are put on today. I miss the floor speakers and now performers have ear pieces so they can hear themselves instead of those floor speakers pointed towards the microphone.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 AM

The loudest I've ever been was Judas Priest in the 80's.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The loudest I've ever been was Judas Priest in the 80's.
Yes they were really loud too. I saw the Turbo tour in 1986. WASP was really loud too.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The loudest concert I ever attended was Motley Crue Theater of Pain tour. My ears were ringing and I was partially deaf for hours. AC/DC packs a punch too but the Crue was by far the loudest concert I experienced. I heard the Who was always the loudest but I never saw them in concert. IMHO, I don't think concerts are as loud as they used to be. So much has changed. I just hate the way concerts are put on today. I miss the floor speakers and now performers have ear pieces so they can hear themselves instead of those floor speakers pointed towards the microphone.
I saw The Who just a few years ago and it was so loud at one point that I felt like I went deaf for a second or two and my ears rung for days. And this was literally like 2017 or 2018...I was actually surprised that they were THAT loud still.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In Mick's first book he said that in Japan on the Tusk tour, the sound engineers would turn up Lindsey's guitar solo during Go Your Own Way to drive the audience nuts
Old 09-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to go see the Mac before they started going for the Smooth, and I was often shocked at just how much feedback their setup generated. You’d hear ear-shattering feedback six, seven, or eight times a night. There was some flaw in their live sound. I concluded that they must like it. There’s even feedback on their 1980 Live album!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I used to go see the Mac before they started going for the Smooth, and I was often shocked at just how much feedback their setup generated. You’d hear ear-shattering feedback six, seven, or eight times a night. There was some flaw in their live sound. I concluded that they must like it. There’s even feedback on their 1980 Live album!
Oh yeah. On the "for screening only" live show(is that Largo? I can't keep that sh*t straight), Lindsey even stops and says, "there's a lot of feedback going on". Who the Hell was doing their monitors back then? The Colonel?

Clearly they either didn't sound check, or the person didn't know what the Hell they were doing(I've done monitors for 30 years, so I DO know what I'm talking about).
Old 09-08-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
God, yes!! So much feedback throughout the years with FM.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Richard talked about doing the live sound on his online chats with fans. He put up some pics of himself at the sound board. Not sure it would have been him on their first tour, but def for Rumours and Tusk.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Richard talked about doing the live sound on his online chats with fans. He put up some pics of himself at the sound board. Not sure it would have been him on their first tour, but def for Rumours and Tusk.
Well Richard was doing Front Of House(FOH), not monitors.

In a chat with Bob Welch years ago, I asked him if in the early days, they had a separate monitor board and guy running it, and he said they did. He said it was usually just a roadie running monitors(which gave me the impression that it wasn't a REAL monitor guy...maybe just their guitar tech or someone doing it). I was kind of surprised(you CAN run monitors from front of house - but the biggest challenge is that the performers can't make eye contact with the FOH guy, showing them what they want changed - instead, they'd have to ASK for it over mics), because in the early Bob Welch days, I wouldn't have thought they'd have been doing big numbers. Bands don't usually hire monitor guys until they're making bank. I've made most of my living doing the up and comers. Sometimes they even have a couple hits, and haven't made the step yet to "full blown production". I've done Miranda Lambert, John Mayer, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, and many more. It's a thrill catching them on their rise.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well Richard was doing Front Of House(FOH), not monitors.

In a chat with Bob Welch years ago, I asked him if in the early days, they had a separate monitor board and guy running it, and he said they did. He said it was usually just a roadie running monitors(which gave me the impression that it wasn't a REAL monitor guy...maybe just their guitar tech or someone doing it). I was kind of surprised(you CAN run monitors from front of house - but the biggest challenge is that the performers can't make eye contact with the FOH guy, showing them what they want changed - instead, they'd have to ASK for it over mics), because in the early Bob Welch days, I wouldn't have thought they'd have been doing big numbers. Bands don't usually hire monitor guys until they're making bank. I've made most of my living doing the up and comers. Sometimes they even have a couple hits, and haven't made the step yet to "full blown production". I've done Miranda Lambert, John Mayer, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, and many more. It's a thrill catching them on their rise.
are the monitor guys off to the side?