Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Star Wars - The Force Awakens"

Hands up all the Star Wars nerds out there!!!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread about the upcoming installment in the Star Wars franchise, episode VII - "The Force Awakens". Now that the posters and all three trailers have been released and there's only two more months left to go before release day, this would be a nice time to discuss what we've seen so far and what we HAVEN'T seen.

The trailers have all been very vague, including this new "official and final" trailer, as to what the plot line entails. The only thing I can surmise is that 30 years have passed and a new evil regime has formed within that time period, led by Adam Driver's character Kylo Ren, who seems to be a Sith/Vader worshipper and/or someone who has tapped into the Dark Side of the Force. What his intentions are is still a mystery. Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth from "Game Of Thrones") is playing Captain Phasma, leader of some sort of new Storm Trooper brigade, and John Boyega plays one of those troopers, who apparently crash lands on a "Tatooine-esque" planet (if not Tatooine itself) and uses it as an opportunity to escape the regime he used to work for. Apparently he meets a girl named Rey and an X-Wing Pilot named Poe and with the help of Han and Chewie and other new people, try to stop the bad guys from doing whatever they are planning to do...

LOL! Um...yeah, that's all I can seem to figure out. It's still unclear how any of these characters relate to each other and our favorite heroes from the original Trilogy. It appears Han will play a bigger part than Leia or Luke based on how much the trailers have focused on him. Leia merely got a millisecond worth of screen time in the final trailer only...and where the HELL is Luke??? You get to see his mechanical hand reach out from his cloak and pet R2-D2 in the final trailer, but you never see his face...it's more than likely HIM but we don't really KNOW if it is.

Han, Luke and Leia are probably going to be relegated to supporting characters in this movie, seeing as how most of what we've seen has revolved around twenty-something, skinny and attractive actors and actresses, which is to be expected. A lot of people have been speculating that Luke won't have very much screen time in this episode. I guess we'll see. If the original three are merely supporting, then you can bet the other familiar faces, C-3p0, Chewie and R2-D2 are going to get even less screen time, which is also to be expected. It is, after all, a brand new story with new main characters to focus on. So I'd imagine seeing our old friends in this will be more of a "familiarity" sort of thing in regards to "bridging the gap" between the events of episodes 4, 5 and 6 and this new trilogy.

Then again, maybe they WILL have a much bigger part than expected. Part of me really wishes it to be so...but I'm not getting my hopes up. Regardless, with Harrison, Carrie, and Mark involved...as well as J.J. Abrams at the helm, this film has, at the very least, GOT TO BE BETTER than George Lucas' boring and lame ass prequels, wouldn't you say?

So what does everyone else think? Are you excited? Worried? How do you think this film will fare compared to the prequels and even the original trilogy (which can't be beat, in my opinion)? What are your speculations as to plot lines or who is related to who, character-wise? Let's start a discussion thread and get wild and crazy with our speculations these next two months while we wait. I have some theories of my own but want to hear what you all have to say before I chime in.

And (as always) everything I type in this forum is merely my opinion.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great thread.
Kylo Ren and Rey to be son and daughter of Han and Leia?
Kylo Ren seduced to the dark side?
Sibling battle for good/evil?

My understanding is Luke will only come into it towards the end. Perhaps he'll be sought out to train Rey in the ways of the force.
He'll play a bigger part in the second film (don't throw all your aces in in one go).

Really excited, lots to find out- what will Andy Serkis' character look like?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

Really excited, lots to find out- what will Andy Serkis' character look like?
Oh yeah! I forgot all about Andy Serkis! And Simon Pegg is also in it, although I'm not sure who or what his character is.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just heard on the radio that the movie website got overloaded with a million hits from fans and it crashed a couple times.

It reminds me when Stevie's IYD and 24K was released and the Ledge was getting overloaded.

Hahahahaha.I was in high school when the first movie came out .Its nice to see these old movies with their sequels go on for generations.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the fact that the absence of Luke has spawned a fan theory about him actually being Kylo Ren. They think that Adam Driver was just hired as a stunt double... Who in their right mind would cast someone over six feet tall with a quite slim body type as a stand-in for Mark Hamill? No offense meant, truly, but that's amusing.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know I just recently watched all 6 movie for the first time, and I have to say I prefer the prequels by a long shot. I know that's a really rare opinion but does anyone here also feel that way.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You know I just recently watched all 6 movie for the first time, and I have to say I prefer the prequels by a long shot. I know that's a really rare opinion but does anyone here also feel that way.

I grew up with the original 3, so the prequels to me were just popcorn movies... a bit of fun while you're in the theatre, but easily forgotten afterwards. The themes revolving around family (especially the son attempting to redeem the father) in the original movies is much more powerful than seeing the fall of Anakin Skywalker. Anakin's descent into the dark side, to me, wasn't nearly as interesting to watch. There are other aspects of the original trilogy that I prefer too... for example, Yoda being a puppet (and looking like a real creature) is much more rewarding to see than a grasshopper-like light-saber wielding fully CGI Yoda.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm really looking forward to the new trilogy. I expect that it won't surpass the original films, but they look a damn sight better than the prequels.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my God! Brandon! That gif from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is EVERYTHING!!! Hilarious!!! Perhaps more Ruprect gifs ("Dot Buther?") need to come into play in regards to the prequels versus original trilogy?!

Hawkeye, I love you so much...and the two of us have pretty much always agreed on everything involving Stevie and Fleetwood Mac...but ARE YOU INSANE??? It would seem you are of a different generation than those of us who grew up with the original trilogy firsthand and experienced the films on the big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I love the fact that the absence of Luke has spawned a fan theory about him actually being Kylo Ren. They think that Adam Driver was just hired as a stunt double... Who in their right mind would cast someone over six feet tall with a quite slim body type as a stand-in for Mark Hamill? No offense meant, truly, but that's amusing.
Agreed. I am also guilty of thinking maybe Luke would be the bad guy...but I'm quickly discounting that theory! However, I still believe that Mark Hamill (Luke's) screen time will be severely limited in comparison to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. But I'm really hoping I'm wrong!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Agreed. I am also guilty of thinking maybe Luke would be the bad guy...but I'm quickly discounting that theory! However, I still believe that Mark Hamill (Luke's) screen time will be severely limited in comparison to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. But I'm really hoping I'm wrong!!!
I don't believe they've made Luke into a villain. He just doesn't look the part...

(yes, possible spoiler ahead)

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/ima...kens.png?w=685
Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't hate the prequels... but there's so much to dislike.

One thing that really bugged me was that they didnt really feel like they took place before A New Hope. I remember watching something where they showed how they used 1940's and 50's streamlining and even Art Deco architecture to help influence the design of buildings and vehicles in the prequels. I thought that was quite clever at the time. When I saw the films I never quite got that feeling. I went away thinking everything seemed a lot newer and more advanced than the original films.

Also, its really odd watching the prequels knowing what is coming. I spent much of the films wondering how they were going to weave certain things into the storyline.
It must be so different watching them in chronological order if you've never seen the original films before.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
There are other aspects of the original trilogy that I prefer too... for example, Yoda being a puppet (and looking like a real creature) is much more rewarding to see than a grasshopper-like light-saber wielding fully CGI Yoda.

Yes, I agree Yoda looked much better in the originals. That said, I still enjoyed seeing the badass Yoda weilding his lightsabre in Revenge of the Sith.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't hate the prequels because I grew up with them and fondly remember going to see them as a kid, but they certainly are nowhere near as good as the OT. Nearly everything is CGI, wooden acting, weaker storyline...
Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 PM
sorcerer999
This message has been deleted by sorcerer999. Reason: didnt embed properly
Old 10-22-2015, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Also, its really odd watching the prequels knowing what is coming. I spent much of the films wondering how they were going to weave certain things into the storyline.
You hit the nail on the head. And honestly, I think that is what doomed the prequels most of all, in regards to the enjoyment and surprises. Yes, we all knew Palpatine would become the Emperor. We knew Anakin would turn to the dark side. We knew he would end up missing limbs are have severe scarification on his head. We knew that Padme would give birth to Luke and Leia and they would end up separated, that the Jedi's would eventually become extinct and Yoda would disappear into hiding...shall I go on? Watching the prequels was almost like watching a historical drama. There aren't any surprises. Every new character introduced (Mace, Jango Fett, Darth Maul, Qui'gon, etc) died within all of their respective movies and didn't give the audience time to care about any of them.

These things, in my opinion, plus uninteresting plot points and less than stellar acting were a huge combination for failure. I have yet to talk to any fellow Star Wars fan who squeals with delight when talking about the Prequels and watches them over and over again.

And here I am once again getting off of the thread topic. Sorry.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'm passing over what most of you said as I don't
want any ideas floating around in my head. I want to
watch the movie and find out that way.

That said, this old chunk of coal doesn't get too excited
about many (if any) movies. But this one is giving me
goosebumps!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this article online today and had to share it! The author of this story hits the nail right on the head. When I was a child, my two favorite gals were Stevie Nicks and Carrie Fisher. Thirty plus years later, nothing has changed.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/20/star...ium=socialflow