The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I’m an outlier. I finally saw this thing on YouTube and thought it was awful. I know nothing about the woman he sang with other than that she brought less than nothing to the song (to me, she sounded like a banshee with sunburn). The two of them had literally no reason to stand onstage side by side and sing anything, whether it was “Go Your Own Way” or “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat.” Vivfox was right: this was stale cheese — worse than any lame tribute act I ever saw. The 1980 Lindsey Buckingham would have taken this embarrassing marketing ploy and stuffed it back in the jacket pocket of whichever suit suggested it. This TV thing goes against everything Buckingham has ever said he is proud of about his craft. Cheese City. Shameful.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM
Ledgie

Sorry man, it wasn't that bad. I for one am happy he isn't taking himself too seriously and went out and had a good time and gave a young performer a memorable moment. She was obviously grateful for it. His guitar solo was in perfect time (always has the best timing) plus he had to tweak the performance slightly singing a different part than he normally would. The house band was super into it as well. Lindsey and Lionel Richie go way back and it was a good promotional opportunity; I think that is about all there is to it. He put himself in the spotlight for those who don't know anything about him, which made it a success in my eyes. Happy to see it.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Great sentiments.
Also, after not performing on a stage for over 2 years, this was something fun for Lindsey to do.
He didnt have to fly there, he probably drove himself
I thought Cassandra had a fine singing voice.
As a point of personal pleasure, it was nice to see him play his song on a stage for millions after Neil Finn was singing it and Mike Campbell was playing it for 1 year and a half.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The performance was competent and decent, though certainly not gte
Old 06-05-2021, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I guess I’m an outlier. I finally saw this thing on YouTube and thought it was awful. I know nothing about the woman he sang with other than that she brought less than nothing to the song (to me, she sounded like a banshee with sunburn). The two of them had literally no reason to stand onstage side by side and sing anything, whether it was “Go Your Own Way” or “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat.” Vivfox was right: this was stale cheese — worse than any lame tribute act I ever saw. The 1980 Lindsey Buckingham would have taken this embarrassing marketing ploy and stuffed it back in the jacket pocket of whichever suit suggested it. This TV thing goes against everything Buckingham has ever said he is proud of about his craft. Cheese City. Shameful.
Man, after seeing the performance, I was sure you would see you were wrong and eat a tusk, as promised.

Admit this performance was better than Lindsey and Carrie Underwood on Fashion Rocks.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Man, after seeing the performance, I was sure you would see you were wrong and eat a tusk, as promised.

Admit this performance was better than Lindsey and Carrie Underwood on Fashion Rocks.
I had to look that up again, which is as good an indication as any of its lasting power in the memory.

I don't know, I'm just peeved and aggrieved that he does these things (and secondly that Fleetwood Mac does these things). They don't mean anything musically. What is all this talk about Mac reuniting for one of those fogies-in-the-desert festivals where rock megastars rely on anonymous musicians to play a set of fifty-year-old hits? There's no musical point to that. In fact, there's no difference between showing up on American Idol or reunion concerts at Coachella (Classic Southwest?) and selling used cars. In both cases, you're buffing up the old clunker for sale to nostalgia-driven buyers, and Botox is the wax. (I thought our recent discussion about Lindsey's face work was hysterical because how else do you expect to present a nostalgia act? He can't go out there with just clean hair and possibly expect to appeal to Gen Z TV watchers.)

Fleetwood's message to everyone is: "Buy me because of what I used to mean to you." But they don't measure up musically to what they used to mean to us. If people think I'm being ageist about this, I'm not at all. My honest view is that this band is now musically very weak (excusable) and inclined to characterize its cash grabs as beautiful, soul-fulfilling craft (inexcusable and laughable). Fellow ledgies who adore what they're hearing from Fleetwood Lack are under absolutely no threat from me and my good taste.

(Ledgie: "Then why are you here?") I'm here for the White, Rumours, Tusk, and Live deluxe sets! Best music we've heard in decades from them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-06-2021, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I had to look that up again, which is as good an indication as any of its lasting power in the memory.

I don't know, I'm just peeved and aggrieved that he does these things (and secondly that Fleetwood Mac does these things). They don't mean anything musically. What is all this talk about Mac reuniting for one of those fogies-in-the-desert festivals where rock megastars rely on anonymous musicians to play a set of fifty-year-old hits? There's no musical point to that. In fact, there's no difference between showing up on American Idol or reunion concerts at Coachella (Classic Southwest?) and selling used cars. In both cases, you're buffing up the old clunker for sale to nostalgia-driven buyers, and Botox is the wax. (I thought our recent discussion about Lindsey's face work was hysterical because how else do you expect to present a nostalgia act? He can't go out there with just clean hair and possibly expect to appeal to Gen Z TV watchers.)

Fleetwood's message to everyone is: "Buy me because of what I used to mean to you." But they don't measure up musically to what they used to mean to us. If people think I'm being ageist about this, I'm not at all. My honest view is that this band is now musically very weak (excusable) and inclined to characterize its cash grabs as beautiful, soul-fulfilling craft (inexcusable and laughable). Fellow ledgies who adore what they're hearing from Fleetwood Lack are under absolutely no threat from me and my good taste.

(Ledgie: "Then why are you here?") I'm here for the White, Rumours, Tusk, and Live deluxe sets! Best music we've heard in decades from them.
Ha ha very true. I think we all love to live in the past on this board. And yes sometimes its fun when we share our old memories of younger days

These oldie acts do these shows to stay relevant and to make money. In today's digital age, the amount of people buying the download of Go Your Own Way after the show can at least pay Lindsey's family car insurance for the month

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-06-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ha ha very true. I think we all love to live in the past on this board. And yes sometimes its fun when we share our old memories of younger days

These oldie acts do these shows to stay relevant and to make money. In today's digital age, the amount of people buying the download of Go Your Own Way after the show can at least pay Lindsey's family car insurance for the month
Oh, I'd say 98% of us are living in the past, here. I mean, I'll be 28 this coming December.

If I were them, I'd buy myself a lake house with some good neighbors, and go for a wine induced boat ride every evening. The End.

Because it's getting embarrassing for them at this age. Go away gracefully.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Oh, I'd say 98% of us are living in the past, here. I mean, I'll be 28 this coming December.

If I were them, I'd buy myself a lake house with some good neighbors, and go for a wine induced boat ride every evening. The End.

Because it's getting embarrassing for them at this age. Go away gracefully.
It's the ghost of the past that you live in
Old 06-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Living in the past is all you can really do with Fleetwood. It's like with Otis Redding or Jeff Buckley fans, too. I mean, physiologically Fleetwood Mac isn't dead. But musically they are. If they want to become a creative force once again and produce a lovely album or soundtrack or anything that challenges and inspires, I'm all for it. But American Idol? Classic Southwest? These are not creative acts, and they don't make anyone relevant.

Any genuine creativity at this point is coming from a few of the members as solo artists, primarily Stevie and Lindsey, both of whom still occasionally write and record. But they aren't artistic surrogates for Fleetwood Mac, which has run completely dry. And the only thing we have from Fleetwood Mac that's worth paying for are very old albums repackaged. Lindsey still has a lot of talent and capability, and the list of things he could do creatively to challenge and inspire is a mile long. He knows that this stupid TV show meant nothing of any lasting value. He could also distribute branded wine through Costco.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-06-2021, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Time is the ultimate judge, of course, right? We'll see whether we're still talking about this TV appearance a year from now. There are dozens of very old Lindsey Buckingham performances we're still talking about years later, after all. If this was really a great one, it ought to be planted in our memories and resurface on the Ledge. We'll see whether anyone is nostalgic for it in the years to come. (Remember when Steve Pond described the 1990 incarnation of the band as "harder for anyone to be nostalgic about"? And sure enough, very few people really are, aside from the more perverse members of the Ledge.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's the ghost of the past that you live in
Like tracking a ghost through a wine induced fog.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Like tracking a ghost through a wine induced fog.
Just don't let that Grecian Formula hair get in your way babe

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-07-2021 at 04:00 AM..
Old 06-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just don't let that Grecian Formula hair get in your way babe
How's that Depends sponsorship working out for you?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You are right, of course. We all want from them what any of them is unlikely to give. Their last several tours were fueled on aether.

But I did and do love Buckingham/McVie (excepting the terrible opening song). I keep coming around holding out hope there will be another studio collaboration between those two.