Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Paper

Do you read a newspaper regularly?
Do you have it delivered?
What is your local paper(s) like? Does it have a consertative or liberal bias?
Whose columns do you enjoy?
What cities do you think have the best papers?

When I lived in Philly I much preferred the Daily News to the Inquirer. I'm old enough to remember the Bulletin as well. My parents also subscribe to the Main Line Times as well as some special interest papers, so I grew up in a house with several papers every day.

I will mention that Houston has the Chronicle, which is often accused of being too liberal. There is a website devoted to bashing it for this bias.
Molly Ivins continues to be a hero for many locals though she does not live in this city. I enjoy her books (though her 60 Minutes gig stunk) but only read her column some of the time.

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes I read the paper but only on the weekends. I have it delivered Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's The Kansas City Star. It's a pretty balanced paper, but leans a bit toward the conservative side. I actually don't read the thing too carefully, but I always check out the political columns and stories, the sports page (looking for Chiefs information--LOVE football!) and any stories about dogs/cats/animal rescue.

I used to spend a lot more time reading the paper, but with the proliferation of news on the internet, by the time the paper comes out, it's "old news".

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 07-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Do you read a newspaper regularly?
Do you have it delivered?
What is your local paper(s) like? Does it have a consertative or liberal bias?
Whose columns do you enjoy?
What cities do you think have the best papers?
I read several each day.

I have several delivered each day. Washington Post, both top Boston papers, LA Times, and NY Times. Plus a local paper. Three of the papers were free trials that I just stuck with, the others I had subscribed to for years.

My local paper has a liberal bias, no surprise since I live in MA. I found it funny that they renamed it "The Republican" last year. The whole paper is like a hate letter to Mitt Romney and Shrub.

For columns, I LOVE Molly Ivins and Maureen Dowd. Those two are some sharp cookies.

I think Boston and LA have the best papers. I love the NY Times, but they are just unreliable these days. Washington Post has been getting up there, though, they are doing a fantastic job as of late.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I read several each day.

I have several delivered each day. Washington Post, both top Boston papers, LA Times, and NY Times. Plus a local paper. Three of the papers were free trials that I just stuck with, the others I had subscribed to for years.

My local paper has a liberal bias, no surprise since I live in MA. I found it funny that they renamed it "The Republican" last year. The whole paper is like a hate letter to Mitt Romney and Shrub.

For columns, I LOVE Molly Ivins and Maureen Dowd. Those two are some sharp cookies.

I think Boston and LA have the best papers. I love the NY Times, but they are just unreliable these days. Washington Post has been getting up there, though, they are doing a fantastic job as of late.
Man, you see all the movies, read all these papers, watch all the tv shows, post here and I'm sure several other places--do you sleep??????

Old 07-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read two papers a day including the pitiful effort of the city I live in as well as receiving The State--which is exactly what it sounds like it would be--the "big-city" newspaper from our state capitol. Both, alas, have conservative, republican tilts. Then again, I live in South Carolina--so what else would I expect???? That's why I tend to read editorals on line and read content from the LA Times & NY Times & Washington Post. Yes, in addition to my FM & Stevie addictions, I am a news junkie!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
Man, you see all the movies, read all these papers, watch all the tv shows, post here and I'm sure several other places--do you sleep??????
I never read all the papers cover to cover, I just read select parts from them! I never read the local sections because they're terrible bores and I never glimpse at the sports pages. I pretty much just read the first section and the op-eds. And this is pretty much the only place I post.

It helps that I work from home. I always have a movie or a TV show playing while I'm working (I have a Sigourney Weaver movie on at the moment LOL). I enjoy the company.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never read all the papers cover to cover, I just read select parts from them! I never read the local sections because they're terrible bores and I never glimpse at the sports pages. I pretty much just read the first section and the op-eds. And this is pretty much the only place I post.

It helps that I work from home. I always have a movie or a TV show playing while I'm working (I have a Sigourney Weaver movie on at the moment LOL). I enjoy the company.
Whew, I was really feeling pathetic there for a while! I used to work from home, so now I get it--I was much more informed and up-to-date on the movies and tv stuff than I am now. Thanks for sharing...

Old 07-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I get the local paper. Even though I don't read very much of it I'm bummed when I house sit for someone and they don't get the paper. I'll read the top headlines and sometimes a few of the front page articles. I like to check the weather and my favorite part is the entertainment section.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes I read the paper but only on the weekends. I have it delivered Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's The Kansas City Star. It's a pretty balanced paper, but leans a bit toward the conservative side. I actually don't read the thing too carefully, but I always check out the political columns and stories, the sports page (looking for Chiefs information--LOVE football!) and any stories about dogs/cats/animal rescue.

I used to spend a lot more time reading the paper, but with the proliferation of news on the internet, by the time the paper comes out, it's "old news".
Yeah, I have to admit the proliferation of other news sources has affected the frequency of my reaching for the paper.

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I read several each day.

Molly Ivins definitely has some voice in her writing.
Hey, nothing wrong with naming a paper The Republican. It's a shame that & Democrat, such nice words, conjure up ill feelings in people based on their party connections.

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not to mention he bashes WISYA and RAL. Dissention, how DO you sleep at night?

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Not to mention he bashes WISYA and RAL. Dissention, how DO you sleep at night?

- Jake
On my stomach.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
I read two papers a day including the pitiful effort of the city I live in as well as receiving The State--which is exactly what it sounds like it would be--the "big-city" newspaper from our state capitol. Both, alas, have conservative, republican tilts. Then again, I live in South Carolina--so what else would I expect???? That's why I tend to read editorals on line and read content from the LA Times & NY Times & Washington Post. Yes, in addition to my FM & Stevie addictions, I am a news junkie!
(Just had my daily "I got bumped from the board when trying to post" fit. )

Nothing wrong with reading a paper you diagree with as long as you know its shortcomings & your own & you don't mind putting money in its coffers.

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I like the local sections, & I even tend to read the obituaries.

- Jake
Old 07-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Whew, I was really feeling pathetic there for a while! I used to work from home, so now I get it--I was much more informed and up-to-date on the movies and tv stuff than I am now. Thanks for sharing...
Being off this month I feel like I'm reconnecting to things that I miss out on when I'm working, like renting movies, catching up on doctors' stuff, & spending lots of money on frivolous things. Being home is dangerous.

- Jake