User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pentagon "accidentally" destroys Bush's military records

From the NY Times this morning:

"Military records that could help establish President Bush's whereabouts during his disputed service in the Texas Air National Guard more than 30 years ago have been inadvertently destroyed, according to the Pentagon.

It said the payroll records of "numerous service members," including former First Lt. Bush, had been ruined in 1996 and 1997 by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service during a project to salvage deteriorating microfilm. No back-up paper copies could be found, it added in notices dated June 25.

The loss was announced by the Defense Department's Office of Freedom of Information and Security Review in letters to The New York Times and other news organizations that for nearly half a year have sought Mr. Bush's complete service file under the open-records law.

There was no mention of the loss, for example, when White House officials released hundreds of pages of the President's military records last February in an effort to stem Democratic accusations that he was "AWOL" for a time during his commitment to fly at home in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.

Dan Bartlett, the White House communications director who has said that the released records confirmed the president's fulfillment of his National Guard commitment, did not return two calls for a response."

More here at
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/09/po...09records.html

But you'll have to register to see the story.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You've got to be kidding me. I'm really surprised at this announcement, even though I know I shouldn't be. What a dirty, corrupt bunch "running" our country. I'm disgusted.

Patti
Old 07-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this really suprising at all? I mean, this is the same man who basically robbed the last election, took us to war on a lie, and all while not being able to speak English properly...still there hasn't been action taken against him. Clinton does a couple of personal immoralities (and people) and suddenly we have an investigation because we just cannot have that now...can we? It makes me sick...seriously.

The Right claims to be so moral and all...I'll shut up now...that seems to be the thing that people have to do these days with that dictator in office, right Natalie Maines??? lol...I shouldn't let Bush ruin every other day for me like this...

Last edited by Jason T.; 07-09-2004 at 11:42 AM..
Old 07-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bull****! They were not "inadvertently destroyed." Busllhsit, bull****, bull****. The Propaganda Ministry is at it again.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason T.
Is this really suprising at all? I mean, this is the same man who basically robbed the last election, took us to war on a lie, and all while not being able to speak English properly...still there hasn't been action taken against him. Clinton does a couple of personal immoralities (and people) and suddenly we have an investigation because we just cannot have that now...can we? It makes me sick...seriously.
That's because all branches of our government are being run by one party. It's not supposed to be that way. VOTE THEM OUT!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 07-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

FYI, average shelf life of microfilm is 500 YEARS.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/005292.html

Retired National Guard Lt. Col. Bill Burkett said Tuesday that in 1997, then-Gov. Bush's chief of staff, Joe Allbaugh, told the National Guard chief to get the Bush file and make certain "there's not anything there that will embarrass the governor."

Col. Burkett said that a few days later at Camp Mabry in Austin, he saw Mr. Bush's file and documents from it discarded in a trash can. He said he recognized the documents as retirement point summaries and pay forms.

Bush aides denied any destruction of records in Mr. Bush's personnel file. "The charges are just flat-out not true," said Dan Bartlett, White House communications director. He said the president has been forthright in producing all documents relevant to his stint in the Texas Air National Guard, from 1968 to 1973. He dismissed Col. Burkett as a disgruntled former officer of the Texas Guard. Mr. Allbaugh, now a Washington lobbyist, called Col. Burkett's assertions "hogwash."
Old 07-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
http://talkleft.com/new_archives/005292.html

Retired National Guard Lt. Col. Bill Burkett said Tuesday that in 1997, then-Gov. Bush's chief of staff, Joe Allbaugh, told the National Guard chief to get the Bush file and make certain "there's not anything there that will embarrass the governor."

Col. Burkett said that a few days later at Camp Mabry in Austin, he saw Mr. Bush's file and documents from it discarded in a trash can. He said he recognized the documents as retirement point summaries and pay forms.
He was on MSNBC in January and said those exact things.

This is all utter ****. They either destroyed them on purpose or they still have them but are saying they're gone. Bastards.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down All I can say about this is...

What a crock of ca-ca!!!!

Man, Our government sure loves to destroy and/or lose doctuments when something is questioned.

Brian "Dontcha love my new avatar?" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
That's because all branches of our government are being run by one party. It's not supposed to be that way. VOTE THEM OUT!
I just got back from seeing 9/11 (it took it this look to make it to my GOP run hometown). And you know--I'm so mad right now that I swear I think I'm voting for Nader in protest. I live in a solid Bush state anyway and it's not like my vote is going to matter. And it's not like I didn't know this stuff but I've spent so much of my time focused on my anger towards the current administration in the past four years that I've failed to see that the Democrats were at least partially to blame for the mess too. How in the world did the Democratic party play dead and let the Bushies roll over them? Why didn't our press stand up? Why have they not persecuted this president they way they did Clinton? If Clinton would have tried to get away with one milli-percentage of the **** that Bush has gotten away with--they would have drawn & quartered him and publically beheaded him in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
And it's not like I didn't know this stuff but I've spent so much of my time focused on my anger towards the current administration in the past four years that I've failed to see that the Democrats were at least partially to blame for the mess too. How in the world did the Democratic party play dead and let the Bushies roll over them?

AHHHHHH my point exactly.

It just brings me back to my thought that politics is ALWAYS about the polls no matter how sincere a politician looks when they are telling you differently. Slimy business no doubt

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've calmed down some since seeing 9/11 earlier this afternoon. I refuse to NOT participate because I'm cynical about the system. I think the biggest mistake that the Democrats ever made was swinging to the right and turning off their core base. They also allowed Repugs to make liberal into a four-letter word. Howard Dean was able to energize the base and bring new people into the Democratic party because he appealed to these voters. And that's what the Democrats are going to have to do to win again. And instead of becoming cynical about the process, more people have got to get involved. The percentage of Americans not voting in this country is a national disgrace. The problem is that the American people do not hold politicans accountable. They're more interested in voting for American Idol than they are for politicans. And that's an even bigger disgrace. I for one, refuse to become cynical about the process and I will always hold the politicans that serve me accountable for their actions. I do not hesitate to pick up the phone or send them an e-mail to let them know how I feel about the issues and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I just got back from seeing 9/11 (it took it this look to make it to my GOP run hometown). And you know--I'm so mad right now that I swear I think I'm voting for Nader in protest. I live in a solid Bush state anyway and it's not like my vote is going to matter. And it's not like I didn't know this stuff but I've spent so much of my time focused on my anger towards the current administration in the past four years that I've failed to see that the Democrats were at least partially to blame for the mess too. How in the world did the Democratic party play dead and let the Bushies roll over them? Why didn't our press stand up? Why have they not persecuted this president they way they did Clinton?
Sweetie, round my neck of the family, we call them demopublicans, and everything in the world is controlled by money and power over resources and that includes the media...I remember when I was still suprised and disillusioned, when i was about 8 or 9...
Buck up!
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I've calmed down some since seeing 9/11 earlier this afternoon. I refuse to NOT participate because I'm cynical about the system. I think the biggest mistake that the Democrats ever made was swinging to the right and turning off their core base. They also allowed Repugs to make liberal into a four-letter word. Howard Dean was able to energize the base and bring new people into the Democratic party because he appealed to these voters. And that's what the Democrats are going to have to do to win again. And instead of becoming cynical about the process, more people have got to get involved. The percentage of Americans not voting in this country is a national disgrace. The problem is that the American people do not hold politicans accountable. They're more interested in voting for American Idol than they are for politicans. And that's an even bigger disgrace. I for one, refuse to become cynical about the process and I will always hold the politicans that serve me accountable for their actions. I do not hesitate to pick up the phone or send them an e-mail to let them know how I feel about the issues and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Thank God! Way ta be...
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -