The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Did you get any LB stuff for Xmas?

Well...I got Go Insane... and it's SO .....WEIRD!!! I'm having great difficulty, thinking it's the same man, I'm currently listening to! All these strange noises like clocks and bells and breaking glass, a whole PinkFloyd / 80's Disco thing going on..but I've only heard it twice and already I can feel a couple of songs growing on me. I think Mick was right when he said his " you'll never be bored by this man " statement recently! I am glad though he seems to have gotten over that stage and appears to be going back to basics now ( just him and his guitar and his pretty voice)..much nicer.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't get any LB stuff for Xmas, but I might get OOTC tommorow, if I can find it, in town.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Fan
I didn't get any LB stuff for Xmas, but I might get OOTC tommorow, if I can find it, in town.
If you get OOTC you will be in for a treat, interested to hear your opinion.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 12-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If you only have one of Lindsey's solo albums in your collection, 'Out Of The Cradle' is the one to own.
I hate to say this, but aside from a few tracks, the other two albums are fairly expendable.... IMHO.

Back to the original topic... I didn't receive any Lindsey, Stevie, or Mac related gifts this year, but then, I can't really think of anything I'm looking for either.

Johnny Stew
Old 12-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i didnt get any lb stuff.. but i'm not looking for anything, either.

oh wait, i did get the very best of.. i waited for somebody to buy it for me, i just couldnt bear to crank out the dough for a bunch of songs i already have (Even tho I wanted the VBO baaaaaaadly cuz i'm all OCD & have to have everything.)

But anyway.. they're right, OOTC is the one to have. But I absolutely adore Go Insane.. i LOVE that cd. Law & Order is my least favorite of the 3, but I still like it a lot. I've had all of his cds for quite some time.. I just haven't completely warmed up to L&O yet. I need to do that.

Sarah
Old 12-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by nodmod
If you get OOTC you will be in for a treat, interested to hear your opinion.
It's absoulytely impossible to get hold of. I've looked in 3 different shops, in 2 cities.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
...But I absolutely adore Go Insane.. i LOVE that cd...
I share that sentiment exactly! "Go Insane" is like a collection of art, with "Play In The Rain (Parts 1 and 2)" as the masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Fan
It's absoulytely impossible to get hold of. I've looked in 3 different shops, in 2 cities.
Mac Fan, if you're ever in London, have a look for it...you should find it almost immediately: it's the only LB album that's always available in every HMV & Virgin Megastore that I've been inside. Another, probably more easy option, is to order it online.

Old 12-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seceta, I've already decided that I'll get it online. I should have it soon.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe it.....my kids who listen to Linds with great reluctance, (mainly in a car speeding down the motorway!) today declared that Play in the Rain part II,was a "cool" song AND that Go Insane was "more interesting than any of his other albums!"...Will wonders never cease!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Go Insane

Go Insane, Loving Cup, Slow Dancing and especially Play In The Rain (I & II) are some of my favorite Buckingham songs. I would say Out Of The Cradle is a more complete album as a whole but those songs on the Go Insane album are great.

Go Insane was one of the first songs to get major airplay on MTV and it was even used in a classic episode of Miami Vice when Crockett bets his Ferrari on a game of pool to enter a powerboat race way back in the first series, he won of course

I'm off to play in the rain now. We do that a lot in the UK!

Old 12-29-2002, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink LB fans...

...are cool because they seem to be a rare breed of people. LOL They are all about the music and they love the mainstream stuff (OOTC) as well as the wierd stuff (L&O and GI).

OOTC and GI were the first two CD's I bought when I became a LB fan last March. I remember getting them in the mail, listening to them with my window open, it was a BEAUTIFUL day and I just enjoyed my CD's, looking out the window, letting the breeze come into my room...what a ride it's been!! I know I'm a newbie FM/LB/SN fan, but it feels like I've been listening to this band FOREVER...well, I do remember hearing their music as a kid, but didn't know it was them...so I guess it was meant to be. \

Anywho, OOTC is good for the "average" music listener to "teeth" on, then when you fall in love with Lindsey's music, you can get the sippy cup...that would be GI and L&O. LOL
Old 12-30-2002, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I hate to say this, but aside from a few tracks, the other two albums are fairly expendable.... IMHO.
Expendable? Certainly not. You must have been thinking of most of Stevie's solo stuff.

Out of the Cradle gets a lot of praise, and rightly so. I just turned some people on to it over on the Cracker web site. It's a timeless album. And it is my favorite Lindsey album.

Go Insane is every bit as creative, but it is not timeless because of the heavy 80s production on it. Even so, some of the stuff was ahead of its time. Listen to "The Fly" off U2's masterpiece "Achtung Baby" or some of the stuff in U2's "Pop." I would say our Irish friends might have taken some production cues from our man Lindsey. Also, listen to Wilco's "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel" and you might detect some influence there. And that's just to name a couple of bands that were (or are) media darlings. Far-fetched, you say? Oh sure. Who woulda a thunk when the Smashing Pumpkins and Hole first came out that they were influenced by Lindsey (and Fleetwood Mac in general)? And who woulda thunk that Camper Van Beethoven, the poster boys of anti-classic rock music, were closet Lindsey fans?

As for Law and Order, in some ways it gave a glimpse of what was to come and in others it was a continuation of "Tusk." Certainly "Trouble" was about as different as anything on the radio in 1981-82. And it was ubiquitous, as "Go Insane" was later.

Think about it: Every time Lindsey has gotten his songs played on the radio with any kind of regularity -- Go Your Own Way, Tusk, Trouble, Go Insane -- they have broken some kind of ground in the commercial music world.

And you call that expendable? No, not even close. The perverse irony is that "Out of the Cradle," musically Lindsey's most accomplished album, is the least accomplished commercially.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Please just get back on topic. I will hopefully be getting OOTC soon, And when I do, I'll post a review of it.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Go Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac
Go Insane, Loving Cup, Slow Dancing and especially Play In The Rain (I & II) are some of my favorite Buckingham songs.

Slow Dancing is wayyyyyyy up there on my LB-favorites list. I don't know why.. but I can just put Go Insane in.. skip to Slow Dancing & put it on repeat. I seriously think I could listen to it over & over for a long time before being ready to go to the next song. Yayyy!

But OOTC.. I can put the whole cd on repeat & just listen to it over and over. Mmhm. Good stuff right there.

Sarah
Old 12-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]I'm off to play in the rain now. We do that a lot in the UK!

...heheheee...yeah tell me about it !!