The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My point wasn't to revisit the who-wrote-what discussion so much as to provide actual audio (which some ledgies may not have ever heard) of the three songwriters working out the verses. Listening to that audio clarifies a great deal in my mind. But threads have a life of their own!

Adding that Mick seems to like covering songs when he likes them. Case in point: You Might Need Somebody, a Tom Snow song that's been recorded by several artists (including Turley Richards and Joe Walsh). The recording that Mick & Co. did for I'm Not Me is imo the best of them all—smooth, sexy, and ever-so-slightly Fleetwood Mac prickly.

Was it Mick's idea to record For Your Love in the early seventies?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Was it Mick's idea to record For Your Love in the early seventies?
That was Bob Weston’s idea.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know we've started a million threads on how The Chain got finalized. But has everyone heard these 1976 audio clips of Christine, Lindsey, and Stevie working out harmonies, lyrics, rhythms?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...V4?usp=sharing
Good grief! This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it! WHY aren't there box sets and deluxe editions with stuff like THIS on them???
Old 01-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

great stuff, looks like they seriously considered having a different melody for the chorus with the lyrics "write me a love song, take away the sadness..."

Last edited by secondhandchain; 01-21-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

This is fascinating. Thanks for the audio clips. Such gems to hear.

And even though the thread is older and was boosted, I enjoyed reading through on the purported backstory of the song. I knew it was a collaboration of various works put together, and John's baseline, etc, but not so many details. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still don't get how they got from those demos recorded at Sausalito, to the compressed vocals on the final track - why are they so tiny? It ruins the track for me, and many other Rumours songs, and makes me doubt the quality of the production that went into that album.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And HOW can a kick drum be recorded so badly that it is reduced to a tap.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just reading this old stuff and saw one of my favorite past quotes. Actually Stevie is genuinely funny. I’m not even saying she’s lying a lot here. We know she did most of the words. I can even believe she did the melody. What makes me laugh is the thought of Lindsey and Christine just sitting there like losers not being able to write one song for nine whole months and they finally swallowed their pride and asked her to help. I see Lindsey asking to use a song of hers, but not coming up to her and asking her to help him write, because he and Christine were so pathetic alone.

Stevie comes in and “valiantly” saves the day.

Quote:
Well The Chain: about nine months into the album, they
only had the solo, the part, I always call it when the
monsters come, when it goes dun, dun, dun, it's really
creepy. They only had from that part out and Christine and
Lindsey were really writing it and finally after about nine
months they said can you help us with this because we
need this rock and roll song on this record and so I
valiantly said alright. And so I dug out an old song I had
written called “The Chain” a long time before and I
thought that melody-wise it would work and it did. Lindsey
wrote the words “listen to the wind blow” and I wrote all
the other words and the melody even the singing melody.
I even wrote the “running through the shadows” at the
end and Lindsey actually, in one of the few times he’s
ever done that, sang exactly what I told him to sing cause I
went out and did it and then he went out with me and
then we just took my voice off. Then I just said that The
Chain should belong to everybody because for nine
months its been this solo that we have all been listening to
and its just been great and so it should belong to
everybody.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Just reading this old stuff and saw one of my favorite past quotes. Actually Stevie is genuinely funny. I’m not even saying she’s lying a lot here. We know she did most of the words. I can even believe she did the melody. What makes me laugh is the thought of Lindsey and Christine just sitting there like losers not being able to write one song for nine whole months and they finally swallowed their pride and asked her to help. I see Lindsey asking to use a song of hers, but not coming up to her and asking her to help him write, because he and Christine were so pathetic alone.

Stevie comes in and “valiantly” saves the day.
Freaking hilarious, considering in doing interviews late 70s/early80s she actually said that Lindsey came to her and said, "Can we use the 'and if you don't love me now' part?" and she said to him "You are ripping the chorus out of my song" and said "he didn't care that much" and that she was the one who had the whole idea of "the chain" and never breaking the chain
Old 10-16-2020, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes. Mick too mentioned that Lindsey had a good memory for his own songs and Stevie and Christine’s and he wanted to use Stevie’s song.

She’s so ridiculous though. It’s like she talks about the Botox and she correctly says that you can tell that all those women look alike. Sisters of Satan. Similarly, even if you weren’t familiar with Stevie, sometimes her descriptions of events gets so overblown that you would know she was lying even if you just met her.

She was the savior who wrote The Chain (except for 4 trite words, which make LB sound pretty unimaginative) because Lindsey and Christine could not function. But then she decided they should all share credit on her song, because she’s just that generous.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She was the savior who wrote The Chain (except for 4 trite words, which make LB sound pretty unimaginative) because Lindsey and Christine could not function. But then she decided they should all share credit on her song, because she’s just that generous.
Of course what really proved to be her undoing in her story about “The Chain” were the tracks of “Keep Me There” that were included on several of those Rumours specialty releases. We could all finally hear exactly what was what.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course what really proved to be her undoing in her story about “The Chain” were the tracks of “Keep Me There” that were included on several of those Rumours specialty releases. We could all finally hear exactly what was what.
Yes, even before they came out for everyone to hear I think we knew about Butter Cookie vs. Keep Me There etc. We talked about it amongst ourselves.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think overtime most of us have come to discern that song grew from Christine's Keep Me There, Stevie then brought the chorus and the lyrical hook of "if you don't love me now" Lindsey wrote the verses and then built the disparate pieces into a cohesive track linked by John's bass solo. And well Mick, he had the ear.

You know, from my previous writings - I think the real writing conspiracy, mystery on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know and how much of that is really a Lindsey lyric and track. We will never know. Just fun to speculate and offer conjecture based on informed knowledge of both of their writing styles.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
I think overtime most of us have come to discern that song grew from Christine's Keep Me There, Stevie then brought the chorus and the lyrical hook of "if you don't love me now" Lindsey wrote the verses and then built the disparate pieces into a cohesive track linked by John's bass solo. And well Mick, he had the ear.

You know, from my previous writings - I think the real writing conspiracy, mystery on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know and how much of that is really a Lindsey lyric and track. We will never know. Just fun to speculate and offer conjecture based on informed knowledge of both of their writing styles.
I swear I've always thought the same about IDWK. It's such a Lindsey feel and lyric. Was there bargaining going on?

Take this song and we'll give you writing credit.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I swear I've always thought the same about IDWK. It's such a Lindsey feel and lyric. Was there bargaining going on?

Take this song and we'll give you writing credit.
No, because that song was identified as belonging to Stevie before they were ever in FM. Aside from that, I don’t think Stevie would take such a bargain. She wanted her songs out there, as many as possible. As evidenced by her not wanting to use Crystal.

I think she didn’t want IDWTK because it was an older song and she would rather have a fresh song of hers on there.