User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Bands lucky enough to have a string of hits and well known songs bowed to the pressure to restrict their sets to those songs --the ones the market demanded.
i have no idea which bands other than FM you or other people here go see live, but from my experience this is completely untrue. many bands have at least as many hits as FM does, and they don't do all of them every tour and definitely not every evening, and they alternate their setlists and do tons of deep cuts.

i do agree that with FM the problem may be that there are 3 songwriters (and at least 2 of them are fiercely competitive so they want the balance between them) so it's very possible that plays into their unbelievably conservative and stale set choices. but there is no excuse - other than laziness to rehearse extra songs or complete insecurity in their abilities - for not changing setlists from date to date.

every single band or solo performer i've seen in the last 2 years (and i've seen quite a few) varies their setlists from date to date; whether they are old legendary bands or young ones. people who say it's just Bruce must not go to see many different bands, i suppose. because it's not just Bruce (or Grateful Dead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I know Dave Matthews does it too. Bob Dylan as well...doing shows without Like a Rolling Stone or The Times They Are a' Changin.
like i said, tons of other bands do it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FM must've been really shaken by that show Mick always references from 1976-77.
What show is that?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The show they played all the new Rumours songs and nobody knew them. The reaction was dead...pretty funny in hindsight when we all know what eventually happened with that album. He mentions it in many interviews...I think Behind the Music and the press junket for the 2013 tour. Speaking of press junket, shouldn't they be starting to promote this next tour? Also, will we actually hear how Christine sounds anywhere before the tour begins?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks! Hadn't read that before. Pretty hard to believe people not responding to GYOW, etc. And to be the first to hear it, that'd be awesome.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Thanks! Hadn't read that before. Pretty hard to believe people not responding to GYOW, etc. And to be the first to hear it, that'd be awesome.
I think Chili here has written about hearing it, but it was missing something, so I don't know how impressed he was with it.

Michele
Old 09-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This will be a surprise if she will play the tune.I agree with PenguinHead about FM will focus on market demand popular tunes that the public knows.I love to see them do true fan shows where they play non hit tunes but there is no money in doing that.

I hope the tour will be more focused on Chris since we missed her so much.Its time to shine the spotlight on her.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They should do a Rolling Stones-type show in NYC's Beacon Theater, maybe when it gets close to the 50th anniversary year of the band. A small intimate setting filmed by a great director like Martin Scorsese or Jonathan Demme, who have done many distinguished music films. A taped concert with hits, but also the essential songs in the catalogue that they're leaving off for their tours: Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Oh Well, Why, Get Like You Used to Be, Think About Me, Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight, Beautiful Child, etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They should do a Rolling Stones-type show in NYC's Beacon Theater, maybe when it gets close to the 50th anniversary year of the band. A small intimate setting filmed by a great director like Martin Scorsese or Jonathan Demme, who have done many distinguished music films. A taped concert with hits, but also the essential songs in the catalogue that they're leaving off for their tours: Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Oh Well, Why, Get Like You Used to Be, Think About Me, Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight, Beautiful Child, etc.
In Your Dreams! pun intended.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The show they played all the new Rumours songs and nobody knew them. The reaction was dead...pretty funny in hindsight when we all know what eventually happened with that album. He mentions it in many interviews...I think Behind the Music and the press junket for the 2013 tour. Speaking of press junket, shouldn't they be starting to promote this next tour? Also, will we actually hear how Christine sounds anywhere before the tour begins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Chili here has written about hearing it, but it was missing something, so I don't know how impressed he was with it.

Michele
Yeah, heard GYOW a few times well before Rumours was released. (the first time was Nov '75) It wasn't close to the version we've come to know & love, but it was still really good. They also debuted "You Make Loving Fun" at the Universal Amphitheatre in mid-summer 1976. It was more like the alternate verson on this latest Rumours deluxe set. They even did "Silver Springs" at a couple of shows. I don't think they ever did a show where they played the entire album, but from March '77 onwards, they were playing a majority of the album. (Every show I saw them do during that spring/summer the new songs were extremely well-received). By August of '77, they were playing everything from Rumours except "Don't Stop" & "I Don't Want To Know"...and the crowds were rabid. (yes, I typed "rabid").
Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
In Your Dreams! pun intended.
That is something they should seriously consider. The shows with air time on HBO and Showtime, following their release, have done huge business. I see The History of the Eagles on every week. Plus, FM has never done an exceptional concert film.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=elle;1141790]
i do agree that with FM the problem may be that there are 3 songwriters (and at least 2 of them are fiercely competitive so they want the balance between them) so it's very possible that plays into their unbelievably conservative and stale set choices. but there is no excuse - other than laziness to rehearse extra songs or complete insecurity in their abilities - for not changing setlists from date to date.
/QUOTE]

Perhaps I was overstating a generalization --speaking more about how big corporations have taken over and how the demands and costs of touring has changed the landscape, and the experience of going to a big show is different now, especially the cost of tickets!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-08-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
That is something they should seriously consider. The shows with air time on HBO and Showtime, following their release, have done huge business. I see The History of the Eagles on every week. Plus, FM has never done an exceptional concert film.
This is a fantastic idea, and I would love it.