User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Below is the text from a post of mine from a month or so ago.

Lindsey to me has always been a master craftsman of songs. In his recent work I personally hear a loss of that wonderful songcraft he has such a gift for. To me it is a combination of things. Guitar playing that was too out front compared to what the song called for. (Songs on Say You Will) A degradation of his vocals that have left some songs whispered instead of sung. (Much of UTS) Use of dated vocal processing effects particulary in the choruses of songs. Engineering choices that leave songs feeling sterile and muted. Finally the songs themselves. While no doubt Lindsey has improved as a lyricist, I hear a lack of melody and a definite lack of hooks more often than not in his more recent song output.

I am not convinced Lindsey has lost this gift and I think an outside co-producer to work with Lindsey and the band may be able to harness and redirect some of Lindsey's creative ideas.
Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
That production aspect aside, I thought he broke down the basic structure of two chord demo and produced a very whistful sound.
It was a three-chord demo, & it's still a three-chord track on the album. But chord complexity never had anything to do with fleetwood mac, anyway. They've always been essentially a I-IV-V band, even back in the blues days. Most pop & rock bands are. (Incidentally, "Goodbye Baby" is a I-IV-V.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It was a three-chord demo, & it's still a three-chord track on the album. But chord complexity never had anything to do with fleetwood mac, anyway. They've always been essentially a I-IV-V band, even back in the blues days. Most pop & rock bands are. (Incidentally, "Goodbye Baby" is a I-IV-V.)
Then I misspoke. But, the sound of the final product is wildly different and IMO better than the staccato (staccati ? ) demo.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it is. I think you think that is snotty of her.
I wasn't talking about her, actually. I was talking about you -- about the way you phrased that comment. Your view seemed to be that Gracious Stevie kindly steps aside so that Unloved Lindsey can experience -- briefly -- what it's like to catch stray Stevie moonbeams.

Quote:
I think she learned a long time ago that she could steal focus without even really trying and it pissed off the other members. So, I think she learned that was not a nice thing to do and adjusted her antics accordingly. Anyone in a band knows everyone has to kind of do that to a degree and the one who stands out the most must make a conscious effort to tone it down at an inappropriate part. How can that be a bad thing?
You're off & running, strand. I can see only the dirt your neurons have kicked up, like the Road Runner.

Meep-meep.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
. . . Meep-meep.
You should see my beak

Old 07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Then I misspoke. But, the sound of the final product is wildly different and IMO better than the staccato (staccati ? ) demo.
It's pretty, yes.

You speak in hyperbole: "wildly different," "divine," "exquisite," "genius," "sublime," etc. Even after all these years, I'm still adjusting to it. But you haven't used your favorite word ("lambent") in about six months. (insert smiley)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I did, however, love her vocals on Miranda and Red Rover. I thought they made his already good songs more complex.
She's on Red Rover? I'd never noticed. I thought that the SYW version was exactly the same as the GOS version except that it had been mastered.

Or do you mean the live versions?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You'd rather meiosis?

I'm a lawyer, I can't help it

Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she should haul out in a red cape during the solo in, say, GYOW and dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other.

Oh please. Stevie would never "dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other." That would require her to actually move, something she hasn't done much of in years. Anyway, if she tried she'd probably trip over her damn orthopedic shoes and fall on her ass. At which point I'd laugh off mine.

If the story is true, then to me it smacks of Stevie trying to wield power in the band, something she probably feels she lacks when Lindsey is in charge of production. It's like a child saying "We play the way I want to play or I'm taking my toys and going home." Grow up, Stevie.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she should haul out in a red cape during the solo in, say, GYOW and dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other.

Let's see whose thunder is stolen then

What she does instead is leave the stage and let him have his moments, which he deserves.
She doesn't leave the stage during GYOW. On the songs where she does leave the stage, like ISA, I'm sure it's less so Lindsey can have the spotlight than so she can get a rest. She does lower her profile during GYOW, just like he deliberately lowers his during Rhiannnon and Stand Back, so that she can have her spotlight. He even lost his guitar riff on Rhiannon, so as to intrude on her song even less.

Furthermore, I believe they were especially deferential to each other during Rhiannon and GYOW this last tour because of the many years they spent upstaging each other during the respective signature songs.

Michele
Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
Oh please. Stevie would never "dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other." That would require her to actually move, something she hasn't done much of in years. Anyway, if she tried she'd probably trip over her damn orthopedic shoes and fall on her ass. At which point I'd laugh off mine.

If the story is true, then to me it smacks of Stevie trying to wield power in the band, something she probably feels she lacks when Lindsey is in charge of production. It's like a child saying "We play the way I want to play or I'm taking my toys and going home." Grow up, Stevie.
Yawn

Old 07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She doesn't leave the stage during GYOW. On the songs where she does leave the stage, like ISA, I'm sure it's less so Lindsey can have the spotlight than so she can get a rest. She does lower her profile during GYOW, just like he deliberately lowers his during Rhiannnon and Stand Back, so that she can have her spotlight. He even lost his guitar riff on Rhiannon, so as to intrude on her song even less.

Furthermore, I believe they were especially deferential to each other during Rhiannon and GYOW this last tour because of the many years they spent upstaging each other during the respective signature songs.

Michele
I think they are very respectful of each other, which is a good thing.

That, of course, translates to some into La Nicks being a power hungry, fake, manipulative, tired, old cu*t and LB being a saint

Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why do y'all perpetuate the BS? Nevermind, it's what they want anyway...
Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Why do y'all perpetuate the BS? Nevermind, it's what they want anyway...
Ha...I don't think Lindsey and La Nicks are sitting in a boardroom somewhere staring at a huge computer screen laughing at us for perpetuating these kinds of things
Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yawn
Okay, you can keep yourself in the delusion that Stevie's still as "enchanting" on stage as she once was and not the lethargic, ho-hum performer she has truly become.

I guess we have an agreement.