Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb Gift of Screws Status Report

With the availability of Peacekeeper, I think we have everything Lindsey had intended for the now apparently abandoned Gift of Screws project (with the exception of Big Yellow Taxi, which, though I regret not having, was probably never intended for the GOS project anyway). If my figuring is correct, the total of all the tracks (including the dubious inclusion of the raw demos of My Little Demon, Given Thing, Wear You Down, and Blue Turns to Grey) we have 90 minutes of music. By todays standards this is not quite enough for two CDs (45 mins each), but when you consider that Lindsey was raised on records, which were rarely longer that 45 mins, I think it safe to say that the Gift of Screws might have turned out a double CD. In any case, Lindsey could have delivered a double CD. Now, with Stevie's material, we have even more music. Surely Lindsey will not take more than half of the time available at Stevie's expense. He's not gonna include his entire GOS repatoi (did I spell that correct?). So what do you think he will include? If Lindsey and Stevie each get 60 mins, an Lindsey doesn't have anything new up his sleeve, I hope the following will constitute his part of the album:

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Miranda
Steal Your Heart Away
Red Rover
She Smiled Sweetly
Down On Rodeo
Come
Try For The Sun
Shuffle Riff
Murrow
Gift Of Screws
Say Goodbye
The Singer Not The Song
Deep Dense
Peacekeeper

Because I feel these are some his greatest tracks. It would be a shame if they never became commercially available. What songs do you guys think should be on the CD?

John
Old 01-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Gotta Get Away" is the best of Lindsey's 4 or 5 Stones covers, I think. You didn't list it. Nor did you list "Bleed To Love Her"...which I DO think will make the cut, despite it being on "The Dance"

(oh, and it's spelled "repertoire")
Old 01-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gotta Get Away & Bleed to Love Her? Fair enough, but you forgot to mention what you'd cut in favor of those two tracks.

John
Old 01-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if Lindsey were to release his GOS solo...it would be one disc...and there would not be 4 Stones covers, prolly just one.

This is how I imagine it...

1. Gift Of Screws
2. Steal Your Heart Away
3. Come
4. Down On Rodeo
5. Miranda
6. Murrow
7. Red Rover
8. Say Goodbye
9. Shuffle Rift
10. Red Rover
11. Deep Dense
12. She Smiled Sweetly
13. Peacekeeper
14. Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
15. Try For The Sun
16. Twist Of Fate

I would leave out BTLH and the other RS covers cause Lindsey needs a slow ballad of sorts.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick's already hinted at a "Stones" vibe with the new album, so at least ONE of the four WILL be on it. My guess is "Gotta Get Away" since its the most "finished" sounding of the four...AND, the most obscure of the four.

It should COME as no surprise that I would jettison "Come" in no time flat. It has NO commercial potential, has NO potential of ANY sort...just flat out goes NOWHERE. Its worse than the studio version of "Not That Funny". If it DOES make the album, I'll have to revise my "Bottom Five" Fleetwood Mac song list.

I don't think "Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind" will make the album. And, unless Lindsey's done some major polishing, "Shuffle Riff" won't be there either.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chiliD
Mick's already hinted at a "Stones" vibe with the new album, so at least ONE of the four WILL be on it. My guess is "Gotta Get Away" since its the most "finished" sounding of the four...AND, the most obscure of the four.

I hope it's Gotta Get Away too . . .

It should COME as no surprise that I would jettison "Come" in no time flat. It has NO commercial potential, has NO potential of ANY sort...just flat out goes NOWHERE.

I strongly agree!

I don't think "Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind" will make the album. And, unless Lindsey's done some major polishing, "Shuffle Riff" won't be there either.

I really love Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind - the horns are wonderful (or whatever that sound is - it could be Lindsey making his guitar sound like horns) . . .Shuffle Riff, I can do without unless it's been finished (as you said).

Barbara
Old 01-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Gift of Screws Status Report

Quote:
Originally posted by jwys_soapbox
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Miranda
Steal Your Heart Away
Red Rover
She Smiled Sweetly
Down On Rodeo
Come
Try For The Sun
Shuffle Riff
Murrow
Gift Of Screws
Say Goodbye
The Singer Not The Song
Deep Dense
Peacekeeper

Replace SGCYM with Bleed To Love Her, and you get my list!

Old 01-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

It should COME as no surprise that I would jettison "Come" in no time flat. Its worse than the studio version of "Not That Funny". If it DOES make the album, I'll have to revise my "Bottom Five" Fleetwood Mac song list.
The studio version of Not That Funny is crazyfun!

Quote:
And, unless Lindsey's done some major polishing, "Shuffle Riff" won't be there either.
No, I'm sure he'd release it just like it was!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default If NONE of those songs, but...

RED ROVER make the album, I will be ECSTATIC!!!!!!!! That HAS to be on the album, and even if it's tweaked (PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!), I have the version I am in love with...but still..PLEASE GOD NO, DON'T LET HIM TWEAK RED ROVER!!!!!!!! It's PERFECTION AS IS!!!!

I want to FORCE all my friends and family to listen to an ACTUAL FM song, called...RED ROVER! LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Gift of Screws Status Report

Quote:
With the availability of Peacekeeper, I think we have everything Lindsey had intended for the now apparently abandoned Gift of Screws project (with the exception of Big Yellow Taxi, which, though I regret not having, was probably never intended for the GOS project anyway).
I don`t think so. Stevie mentioned in an interview last year, that he had far too much material even for a double album. No wonder
after 10 years of studio hiding.

Quote:
If my figuring is correct, the total of all the tracks (including the dubious inclusion of the raw demos of My Little Demon, Given
Thing, Wear You Down, and Blue Turns to Grey) we have 90 minutes of music. By todays standards this is not quite enough
for two CDs (45 mins each), but when you consider that Lindsey was raised on records, which were rarely longer that 45 mins,
I think it safe to say that the Gift of Screws might have turned out a double CD. In any case, Lindsey could have delivered a
double CD. Now, with Stevie's material, we have even more music. Surely Lindsey will not take more than half of the time
available at Stevie's expense. He's not gonna include his entire GOS repatoi (did I spell that correct?). So what do you think he
will include? If Lindsey and Stevie each get 60 mins,
Yeah that would be nice. But we already heard rumours (from Johnny Stews reliable sources ;-) that it will be a single CD so
we can expect 35 minutes of LB written songs and 35 minutes of SN written songs. I seem to be the only one here, who would
appreciate to get as much songs that I never heard before as possible. So if this was a musical request program
(=Wunschkonzert ;-) there would be 20 new songs without the great GOS tunes on this CD. And the album should contain LB
songs, SN songs and songs that are featuring both of them. F.e. Big love studio version with Stevie on it? No. On the other
hand the "Tell me lies" chorus with the three of them was also great. There needs to be the right mix of both aspects.
And yes I know the argument that we must not complain that the GOS songs are not new to us, as we were not forced to
download the songs. I don't state that it`s illegitime and not right to handover the GOS material to FM. It's just nicer from my
fan position to get fresh material considering that FM is not to be regarded as a CDspitting machine and the waiting has been
pretty long. Who knows if and how it goes on... And by the way- what if GOS wouldn't have been published and there also
wouldn't have been a new FM project. Or if these GOS tunes would have been skipped and other ones would have been
chosen. Remember the interview from one of LB's 92 bandmate, stating that LB already had an entire album in the mid90's
ready. Don't know how many of these songs then were replaced by what we now know as GOS. So of course one tries to get
as many songs as possible. So I was lucky to get the files via audiogalaxy and only a few days later it was shut down... And
imagine Come won't be on the upcoming CD...? ChiliD would be missing his favorite without even knowing about the loss ;-)))
But seriously, it`s one of my favorites and I like it a lot. Perhaps there are more no GOS tunes like "Peacekeeper" in the storage
room or even new written ones and we simply don`t know about yet. That'll be great.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default No BTLH

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Nor did you list "Bleed To Love Her"...which I DO think will make the cut, despite it being on "The Dance"
Bleed to Love Her? I hope not. The version on the Dance is great, and why waste space on a new album with a song that's already been released? I would be disappointed if we got a rehash of it on the new album. It's not like the GOS version is really that different anyway. Frankly, although the extra guitar is nice, I like it less without the melodic "woah, ho, hos" at the end.