User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Nile speaks with Linds

https://music.apple.com/us/post/1566398049

It's really special how much admiration Nile has for LB. Nile is the best in the business for production.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 05-07-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for this. Yes, isn't it great? I think they probably share the same 'total vision' approach to production, where they can see exactly what they want from a song. Lovely to see them together here.

Lindsey and Mick are having a real love-in at the moment, aren't they? They must be cooking something up...
Old 05-07-2021, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Thank you for this. Yes, isn't it great? I think they probably share the same 'total vision' approach to production, where they can see exactly what they want from a song. Lovely to see them together here.

Lindsey and Mick are having a real love-in at the moment, aren't they? They must be cooking something up...
It's my pleasure!

There's going to be a longer conversation airing tomorrow on Apple Music.

Good pickup on the Lindsey/Mick love-in. I guess Stevie's the lone member of FM who thinks Lindsey is a POS. Mick wants to be creative and you're not going to be creative with Stevie unless she calls you into to play drums on a song or two for her solo album.
Lindsey's always about making art. As you sure know!
Old 05-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was such a pleasure to listen to. I wished it had been longer.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It's my pleasure!

There's going to be a longer conversation airing tomorrow on Apple Music.

Good pickup on the Lindsey/Mick love-in. I guess Stevie's the lone member of FM who thinks Lindsey is a POS. Mick wants to be creative and you're not going to be creative with Stevie unless she calls you into to play drums on a song or two for her solo album.
Lindsey's always about making art. As you sure know!
Oh good, looking forward to the rest of it tomorrow.

Quite right - Mick knows that Lindsey's his only chance for a last shot at an ending with any sort of integrity.

Wasn't there a story that Nile was originally brought in to produce Tango In The Night, but it wasn't happening so Lindsey took over? I can see those two really getting on, but maybe two huge creative egos in the same studio would be too much!
Old 05-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His eyes look different, a little wonky... Botox?? eye lift??
Old 05-07-2021, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh good, looking forward to the rest of it tomorrow.

Quite right - Mick knows that Lindsey's his only chance for a last shot at an ending with any sort of integrity.

Wasn't there a story that Nile was originally brought in to produce Tango In The Night, but it wasn't happening so Lindsey took over? I can see those two really getting on, but maybe two huge creative egos in the same studio would be too much!
I believe the producer was Bernard Edwards, who produced The Power Station’s first album. But some musician from Chic was in that band, just not Nile.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
His eyes look different, a little wonky... Botox?? eye lift??
I'd rather say very prominent cheekbones.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://americansongwriter.com/nile-...meaning-radio/

Nile Rodgers Welcomes Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham on ‘Deep Hidden Meaning Radio‘
Videos by American Songwriter

by Lisa Konicki about 13 hours ago

Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham is the latest artist to sit down and chat with Nile Rodgers on Deep Hidden Meaning Radio on Apple Music 1, due out May 8.

“I’m really excited to have Lindsey Buckingham joining me on this month’s Deep Hidden Meaning show. He will be sharing some amazing backstories from the classic Fleetwood Mac songs that we all know and love,” Nile Rodgers tells American Songwriter. “Throughout our conversation, Lindsey also describes how the complex dynamics of the band were a breeding ground for their incredible songwriting which helped to inspire some of the most iconic lyrics of all time. Be sure to tune in for this great conversation!”

In an exclusive sneak peek, Rodgers shares snippets from their conversation where Buckingham reveals the secrets behind writing some of his best-loved songs from Fleetwood Mac, including “Go Your Own Way,” and his solo career.

Nile Rodgers: “Go Your Own Way.” Damn.

Lindsey Buckingham: That was interesting because that’s sort of Act Two, we had joined the band and Stevie and I are basically history, but still there’s some residue leftover and we’re still writing songs about each other a couple of years later. Musically, “Go Your Own Way” was just very, very interesting on a lot of levels because of the timing of the parts in there. We had cut it as a basic eighth note kind of chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk guitar. Then Mick had added… I’d really actually wanted Mick to play the pattern from “Street Fighting Man” that Charlie Watts plays, [imitates drum beat]. He had to sort of do it his own way and he left out some beats and it became more syncopated and a little bit harder to sort of follow in a way until the chorus kicked in. And then that led me to add this sort of back rhythm guitar part, which in some ways was even made the first verse even more disorienting in terms of finding the beat.
There is actually a story from that. I remember the first time I heard “Go Your Own Way” on the radio when it had just come out as a single. I was in my car and I was listening to KLOS or whatever it was. The famous classical DJ B. Mitchel Reed was on. He said, ‘Well, we got the new one from Fleetwood Mac. It’s called ‘Go Your Own Way,’’ and he played it and it sounded great on the radio. Then it was over and he came back on and there was a pause, and he says, ‘That was Fleetwood Mac, ‘Go Your Own Way.’’ Pause. ‘I’m not sure about that one.‘
Me being the ballsy person that I was back then, and I suppose still am, somehow I got the number of the station and I called him up and he, to his credit, got on the phone with me. I said, ‘B., What do you mean? What don’t you like about ‘Go Your Own Way?’ He says, ‘Well, I can’t find the beat.‘

Nile Rodgers: Find the one. Right.

Lindsey Buckingham: I mean, that was sort of a surprising aspect that never really even occurred to us while we were putting it together, because obviously we knew where the one was.

In the episode, Buckingham goes on to tell Rodgers about the “musical soap opera” of Fleetwood Mac, and how he and Mick Fleetwood are “kindred spirits” and share a special bond.

Nile Rodgers: Speaking of Mick, he’s always looked like a real imposing figure to me, and just recently, I think it was about a week ago, I saw that he had a restaurant, or has a restaurant in Maui and he was talking about having to furlough employees because of the situation, and he seemed like such a gentle, loving soul, and the one thing that instantly came across, which had nothing to do with the restaurant, was his attachment towards you, or for you. I was like, wow. So the drummer and the guitar player are the two guys who were really down, or at least that’s what it felt like to me.

Lindsey Buckingham: Oh yeah, we’re definitely kindred spirits, and because I don’t read music and I never had a lesson in my life and it was kind of the same thing. I mean, obviously, in a more sort of articulated way what I do, but his intuition for what feels right and what is truthful, is just beyond reproach, and he and I have always shared that bond. I think in many ways you are correct that he and I were kind of the spine of what held Fleetwood Mac together in that way.

To hear all of Lindsey and Nile’s conversation, tune in to the full episode for free on Saturday, May 8 at 8 a.m. LA / 11a.m. NY / 4p.m. London or anytime on-demand at apple.co/_DHMRadio

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a big deal to be asked by Nile to be featured on his show. I'm glad Lindsey's getting recognition.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone know if there’s going to be a rebroadcast or where to find a recording of the whole interview? I am only able to see the section on Go Your Own Way and Tusk without Apple Music.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

another article with some excerpts (and a spin) from the same interview -

https://www.nme.com/news/music/linds...noagchdXzKl5TY

NEWS MUSIC NEWS
Lindsey Buckingham says he never got “closure” with Stevie Nicks
"We had to spend an awful lot of time together without ever having gotten closure from each other"

By
Will Lavin
8th May 2021
Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. CREDIT: Lester Cohen/Getty Images

Lindsey Buckingham has said he never got “closure” with former Fleetwood Mac bandmate and ex-parter Stevie Nicks following their much-publicised breakup.

Speaking in a new interview, Buckingham, who was fired from the band in April 2018, discussed his relationship with Nicks and reflected on not getting any closure after their fallout.

“And really, again, that was part of the deal with Stevie and me was that we had to spend an awful lot of time together without ever having gotten closure from each other,” he told Nile Rodgers on his Apple Music 1 show Deep Hidden Meaning Radio With Nile Rodgers.

Buckingham continued: “Most people, when they break up, they don’t see each other for a long time or maybe ever again. But you’re not constantly having to not only see someone but, in my case, make the choice to do right for someone when I didn’t always feel that I wanted to, you know?

“In order to take a song of hers, like ‘Dreams’, which needed so much construction around it to take those same two chords and make them evolve from section A to section B to section C. And the love and the choice to do the right thing and to have the integrity to do that. It comes at a price sometimes, you know? It comes at the price of having your defences come up, and sometimes over a period of time, it’s hard to get those down.

“So I think ‘Big Love’ was really about someone who was functioning quite well in his professional world but had become quite guarded emotionally, had an emotional moat around him, say, in his personal life.” See the interview with Buckingham above.

Last year, Nicks revealed she contacted Buckingham after he suffered a heart attack in 2019.

The Fleetwood Mac singer said she urged Buckingham to look after himself. It happened in the year following Buckingham’s firing from the legendary folk/blues rock group.

Nicks told the Los Angeles Times that she hasn’t spoken to Buckingham since his departure but did write him a note following his health scare. “You better take care of yourself. You better take it easy and you better do everything they tell you and get your voice back and feel the grace that you have made it through this,” she recalled.

She added that she “never planned” for Buckingham to leave the band and was “disappointed” when it happened. “Any time we re-formed to do a tour or a record, I always walked in with hope in my heart. And I just was so disappointed. I felt like all the wind had gone out of my sails,” she said.

Earlier this year, Mick Fleetwood reconciled with Buckingham and said he would like to think a Fleetwood Mac reunion could happen.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-08-2021, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably not much we didn’t already know — lots of references to the spectre of Stevie tho.

Most disappointed it not cover his 5 21st century albums.

Can’t wait for Eponymous

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So good to see Lindsey healthy and in high spirits, but I very much prefer to think he's cooking something up alone and not with Mick.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.