The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Eagles Greatest Hits was ahead of Michael Jackson's Thriller a long time ago. However, Michael died and that boosted his sales and then he jumped ahead. It's just restablishing the pecking order.

Hotel California is country rock and it's no big suprise. Streaming is what put it ahead of Rumours, not actual sales. That is the only way this could of changed so fast. Also, Fleetwood Mac is just a mess. Their legacy because of all of the fighting is ending up a mess.

P.S. Because The Eagles album is a Greatest Hits, I really don't consider it the #1 album. It's 10 years worth of their best material. It shouldn't be put up against regular albums.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Perhaps you should consider using Nair? I have heard that it stings in certain...locations, but hell, you might not be scaring them off with wooly C toes.

I have hairy feet too, so I can relate.

Costume. I was going to say costume. Actually I've had laser but do regret not having my toes done.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
The Eagles Greatest Hits was ahead of Michael Jackson's Thriller a long time ago. However, Michael died and that boosted his sales and then he jumped ahead. It's just restablishing the pecking order.

Hotel California is country rock and it's no big suprise. Streaming is what put it ahead of Rumours, not actual sales. That is the only way this could of changed so fast. Also, Fleetwood Mac is just a mess. Their legacy because of all of the fighting is ending up a mess.

P.S. Because The Eagles album is a Greatest Hits, I really don't consider it the #1 album. It's 10 years worth of their best material. It shouldn't be put up against regular albums.

All the certifications are based on official sales. I'd read some years ago that Thriller had likely sold many, many more unofficial copies due to MJ's popularity in Asia and Africa (as well as other parts of the world). In fact, I think it was claimed a while back Thriller had probably been bought by up to twice as many people as Eagles' Greatest Hits.

For some reason Fleetwood Mac's official certifications get updated very, very slowly.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Costume. I was going to say costume. Actually I've had laser but do regret not having my toes done.
I've had my toes done before. But all in all, I'm not that crazy about shrimp.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours certified 19M in 2003. Then updated in 2014 to 20 M. Hotel California last certified in 2001 at 16M. 17 years later, 26M. Hotel California has not charted as well as Rumours in those years and makes it seem like RIAA might have not counted right for Rumours. Or it needs to be re-certified again. This came as a shock to me.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post

I've seen this argument occasionally, and the obvious response is: Just about every band has put out a greatest-hits collection (or 2, or 3) - how many of them have sold 30-gazillion copies? And it's only pulled from five years of their catalog (1971-1975), not ten. The Eagles put out a second greatest hits album for their last 4-5 years together.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
I've seen this argument occasionally, and the obvious response is: Just about every band has put out a greatest-hits collection (or 2, or 3) - how many of them have sold 30-gazillion copies? And it's only pulled from five years of their catalog (1971-1975), not ten. The Eagles put out a second greatest hits album for their last 4-5 years together.
That's right. A lot of people don't realize that it doesn't even include any songs from Hotel California because it preceded that album's release.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
That's right. A lot of people don't realize that it doesn't even include any songs from Hotel California because it preceded that album's release.
Pretty amazing. My two favorite bands of that era were/are FM and the Eagles. So while I'm all for a little friendly competition between the two, I get a little defensive when anyone tries to minimize the amazing chart success of either band!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think any album selling over 10 million copies shouldn't be in a competition any more. Who cares?! Show me the money!