Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Christine was the spark for Fleetwood Mac that really made them so much better as a band. Bob was a later spark where he and Christine could sing together. In the early days before Christine, the Mac was not known for singers. You can hear Christine progress with every album. She really had the knack of writing and performing great songs. I love Sugar Daddy because its a post Stevie/Lindsey era song that easily could have been performed on an earlier album. Dont Stop's shuffle could have been on Heroes without Lindsey's slick production and it still would have been excellent.

My early favorites are Mystery to Me and Heroes are Hard to Find. Bare Trees is good too. "Why" makes Mystery to Me a gem. But overall Chris's songs on Heroes are her best. She got better with every album. Prove your love and Come A Little Bit Closer are insanely good. I wish during the Stevie/Lindsey era that Chris would have remade Come A Little Bit Closer with Stevie and Linsey's harmonies. I think it would have been a smash hit.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-09-2020 at 02:10 PM..
Old 09-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had never heard the Future Games story until hearing this box set. This set really leaves me wanting more which is both a good and bad thing. I love it but at the same time, I want more but I know this is probably as much as we're going to get from this period of Fleetwood Mac. It's a fantastic release though and there were a lot of little things in songs that I was able to pick up that I hadn't heard or paid attention to before.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 PM

UHHHHHH they edited Christine's piano solo out of Bermuda Triangle!!!
Old 09-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I am not really familiar with the original lineup save a few songs. I would like to add it to my FM collection but not sure if LP or CD is the way to go given the fact I don't really know the majority of the songs. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi GoldDustWoman,
Just to be clear, this new box set doesn't actually feature the original line-up.
I'd personally suggest you start with Future Games and work your way through to Heroes Are Hard to Find. There's a nice progression in the music towards Rumours. Then, go back to Then Play On and then onto Kiln House.
After that you could start to investigate the original band.
Cheers

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone have the CD version? Are the disc in paper sleeves and is there liner notes or a book with credits and text/pics? I guess the vinyl version doesn't contain the bonus tracks?
Old 09-11-2020, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
UHHHHHH they edited Christine's piano solo out of Bermuda Triangle!!!
Yes—it’s more than annoying. I’ve always loved that extended vamp where’s she’s really hitting those chords with gusto. Why do they always mess with her piano parts? Ugh.

I’m also annoyed that they leave in basically all of Bob’s spoken bits but none of Christine’s. They omit several bits of her banter with the crowd on the Remastered ‘75 live set, too. So annoying.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Anyone have the CD version? Are the disc in paper sleeves and is there liner notes or a book with credits and text/pics? I guess the vinyl version doesn't contain the bonus tracks?
All the cds reproduce the original packaging (photo gallery insert for Kiln House, lyric sheet for MTM). But there is no one booklet with pics or liner notes, just a small booklet without pics and the most basic information about the tracks included.

Each cd sounds very crisp.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes—it’s more than annoying. I’ve always loved that extended vamp where’s she’s really hitting those chords with gusto. Why do they always mess with her piano parts? Ugh.

I’m also annoyed that they leave in basically all of Bob’s spoken bits but none of Christine’s. They omit several bits of her banter with the crowd on the Remastered ‘75 live set, too. So annoying.
They actually mute it on the 75 Live set. You can hear it wayyyy in the background. (At least on Station Man Intro)

But, to take out a whole solo before the vamp section??? Why??????
Old 09-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
They actually mute it on the 75 Live set. You can hear it wayyyy in the background. (At least on Station Man Intro)

But, to take out a whole solo before the vamp section??? Why??????
Yes, for the ‘75 set, they muted her on the intro to Station Man and the intro to Spare Me. Then a little later in the concert....

Taking out her BT solo is inexcusable. Wtf?
Old 09-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
All the cds reproduce the original packaging (photo gallery insert for Kiln House, lyric sheet for MTM). But there is no one booklet with pics or liner notes, just a small booklet without pics and the most basic information about the tracks included.

Each cd sounds very crisp.
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Hi GoldDustWoman,
Just to be clear, this new box set doesn't actually feature the original line-up.
I'd personally suggest you start with Future Games and work your way through to Heroes Are Hard to Find. There's a nice progression in the music towards Rumours. Then, go back to Then Play On and then onto Kiln House.
After that you could start to investigate the original band.
Cheers
Thanks so much for that tip! I thought this was post Peter Green at least for the LP set it is. The CDs contain the final album with Peter it looks like. Still a good way to get familiar and expand my knowledge of the Mac as whole.

Last edited by ~GoldDustWoman~; 09-11-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-17-2020, 04:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I'm sure these have already been shared before but in case someone doesn't have them.

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=4919

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2262
Are these concerts from March '10' & 12 actually the same and from March 12?
Old 09-17-2020, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Are these concerts from March '10' & 12 actually the same and from March 12?
I think so. There's some confusion on the date and one is more complete.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My set only came at the weekend. Working my way through- up to Bare Tress for today's commute.

Not quite sure what to make of the live Homeward Bound...
...it really rocks...but at times Chris doesn't sound like Chris.

Trinity sounds amazing.
Danny was a tune-genius. If only Elvis Costello or someone could have supplied him with lyrics.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After waiting patiently for the set to show up digitally, finally ordered the box set from Amazon last night and can't wait till its arrival on Friday!

Re Danny a tune genius, he certainly was and most arguably on par with Green with his blistering guitar and wonderful music. His lyrics were a little spare and repetitive, but look what happens when he uses other lyrics, a soaring masterpiece such as Dust- arguably one of the best songs the band ever recorded. Future Games being the notable exception to the lyrical issues.