Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:46 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Please remind me why it's not four new songs... was one of Lindsey's heard before The Dance?
3 songwriters, 3 new songs, I guess? Lindsey re-worked "Go Insane" from his solo album so I guess that doesn't count amongst My Little Demon, Temporary One, and Sweet Girl. I had never heard Silver Springs prior to the Dance, so I still think of it as 4 new songs.

Quote:
Was reuniting the Rumours lineup Carl Stubner's idea?
Seems more like Rob Cavallo pushed for it in '96 while helping Lindsey record his solo album.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
3 songwriters, 3 new songs, I guess? Lindsey re-worked "Go Insane" from his solo album so I guess that doesn't count amongst My Little Demon, Temporary One, and Sweet Girl. I had never heard Silver Springs prior to the Dance, so I still think of it as 4 new songs.
You forgot "Bleed To Love Her."

Quote:
Seems more like Rob Cavallo pushed for it in '96 while helping Lindsey record his solo album.
There were numerous people pushing for it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 AM

He even announced "Bleed to Love Her" as a new song. (If I recall correctly)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

One other Dance memory that was sort of scary. The Dance was sold out in every city. Christine only agreed to 40 shows so the band did not schedule other shows at the same cities that would sell out in an hour. This only led to a more demand for tickets. I saw one of the last shows at the West Palm Beach amphitheater. The band rented 3 entire floors at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach. I had a friend who worked at the Breakers and he told me the silly names the band used when checking in. I think Mick was something like "Corona Light."
With the extreme crowds, I arrived at the amphitheater early and stood in line with thousands of others. I think the gates were to open at 7 and the concert began at 8. Stevie arrived late for sound check. I was in line when the gates were supposed to open but the band was performing Dreams for their sound check. Suddenly the 1979 Cincinatti Who concert came to my mind. I started to panic a bit because my fear was what happened in 1979. The amphitheater had grass seating similar to the first come seating the Who concert had. Was the crowd thinking the band performing Dreams after 7pm the concert had started? My fear was pushing would start and we would be trampled to death. Not cool. It was a foolish move by the band and the venue. If you arrive late for a sound check either do the sound check without Stevie or don't do it at all. You don't do a sound check after the gates are supposed to open and thousands are in line at an outside venue where the fans can hear you. The Palm Beach post reported on this the next day and pinpointed Stevie's late arrival for such a late sound check.
Lindsey cut his hand during the ending of Go Your Own Way this night and had to be rushed to the hospital for multiple stitches. However he did finish the concert. Because the stampede fear was still in my mind, I left during the end of Go Your Own Way. I did not get to see Farmer's Daughter but I heard it in the car.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-25-2022 at 08:13 AM..
Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok. I had seen a video in 97 where Lindsey asked Mick and John to work on an album with him. Then Lindsey asked Chris to come join their sessions.
Stevie asked Lindsey to do Twisted with her.
And Carl Stubner from seeing this, proposed a live concert to the group.
But I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok. I had seen a video in 97 where Lindsey asked Mick and John to work on an album with him. Then Lindsey asked Chris to come join their sessions.
Stevie asked Lindsey to do Twisted with her.
And Carl Stubner from seeing this, proposed a live concert to the group.
But I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.
Warner, Clear Channel, and Viacom started pushing it after the massive success of “Hell Freezes Over.”

As it is, OOTC was such a commercial disaster that Lindsey and the label realized that he wasn’t commercially viable outside of Fleetwood Mac. Of course, Fleetwood Mac had been touring as an opening act or as part of the oldies package tour circuit with a new lineup.

That’s when things began to thaw and Lindsey started working with Mick. The band then finished up its commitments and the label let Time arrive DOA. Why spend money on promoting a new lineup of Fleetwood Mac when a project with Lindsey and Mick had more commercial potential? Billy Burnette knew it was coming simply based on which industry people started coming around and warned Bekka and Dave.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Warner, Clear Channel, and Viacom started pushing it after the massive success of “Hell Freezes Over.”

As it is, OOTC was such a commercial disaster that Lindsey and the label realized that he wasn’t commercially viable outside of Fleetwood Mac. Of course, Fleetwood Mac had been touring as an opening act or as part of the oldies package tour circuit with a new lineup.

That’s when things began to thaw and Lindsey started working with Mick. The band then finished up its commitments and the label let Time arrive DOA. Why spend money on promoting a new lineup of Fleetwood Mac when a project with Lindsey and Mick had more commercial potential? Billy Burnette knew it was coming simply based on which industry people started coming around and warned Bekka and Dave.
Thank you.
As for Lindsey and Stevie thawing then, did Stevie call Lindsey to come record Twister with her before Lindsey called Mick to work on Gift of Screws?

I wonder why Rick didn't join Bekka and Billy too.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

that's the story Rob himself tells in the dvd.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:00 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You forgot "Bleed To Love Her."
Holy cow! *facepalm* Talk about dementia setting in during my old age!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Holy cow! *facepalm* Talk about dementia setting in during my old age!
I was jaw dropped. (well, at first I thought you were going to mention it later).

Then I was jaw dropped you forgot it.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Besides Silver Springs...

... it's my favourite of the new songs, so... even more jaw-dropping!
Old 05-27-2022, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If The Dance was a reunion of Stevie, Billy, Rick, Chris, Mick, and John playing the same set (heavy on Rumours songs), would it have had the same success as an album and tour?
Old 05-27-2022, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If The Dance was a reunion of Stevie, Billy, Rick, Chris, Mick, and John playing the same set (heavy on Rumours songs), would it have had the same success as an album and tour?
No. The return of Lindsey was a key factor. Plus, I'm sure it wouldn't have had the same support of the record company. But it would have been moderately successful.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
It would have been a mildly successful tour but not a sold out freak show the Dance was. When the Dance happened, it was almost like Rick and Billy never existed. Remember hearing how the band reunited and touring for the first time in 15 years. That was said all the time. People forgot that the band carried on with Chris and Stevie for several year and again without them.
It was huge. Chris's return was huge too but it was blunted by the fact the band had just toured the world without her the year before. If they had disbanded after Say You Will, I think her return would have been even bigger.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Just like Christine's return, they had that extra marketing of playing her songs, and the FAB 5 Rumours reunited... So, I suppose not quite as impactful as Lindsey's return.

Agree that Warner Brothers would not have cared as much as they do/did for Rumours line up.