The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-04-2022, 11:11 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Curious as to why you feel Save Me wasn’t a good choice for a first single. And what you think might have been a better choice.

By process of elimination, I think a shortened In the Back of My Mind might have been a good choice for a lead single. None of Stevie’s songs would have been hit singles, nor Rick’s, so that left Christine and Billy. Skies imo was too light and poppy for a lead single, and Behind the Mask was too dark. Do You Know is a personal favorite, but too intimate. I love When It Comes to Love and Hard Feelings, but I don’t think they would have been hits.

Save Me and ITBOMM seem like they are very radio friendly and have gravitas to get the attention the first single needs. Save Me is quite a rocker compared to Christine’s other songs. I also love Isn’t It Midnight. Im sure the band and the record label wanted a single that featured Christine or Stevie first, and hoped subsequent singles could come from Billy, but it didn’t work out that way
I just think Save Me was a bit too MOR/meh for the mainstream charts. Its okay, but kind of bland. I think they released it as it was the most in keeping with their 80's hits. Its the song that mostly follows the Hold Me/Little Lies/Everywhere formula....just not as good. By that time though chart music had really moved on. Save Me was a bit behind the times.
Yes, I think a single version of Behind The Mask or Do You Know would have had a better chance of impacting on the charts. Think of the success of Extreme: More Than Words. I'm not for one minute saying Do You Know is as good a song as that, but I think it had a similar sort of vibe.

I actually remember reading Save Me was out in the charts...but I hadnt heard it yet. I remember Baywatch came out at around that time and it had a song called Save Me as the theme song. I had kinda hoped that was it.
....but no...that was by Peter Cetera.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 12-04-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-04-2022, 03:56 PM
bwboy's Avatar
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Stevie fans are always numbers people.

"$he's the BEST, because $he sold the most!"
Well, Stevie was the only member who had a #1 single
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,277
Default

Numbers numbers numbers
who had more hit singles? Christine
who had the single with most weeks on the chart? Christine
touch
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-04-2022 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2022, 04:50 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Numbers numbers numbers
who had more hit singles? Christine
who had the single with most weeks on the chart? Christine
touch
Yeah, but he doesn't have a Christine shrine.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2022, 04:51 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Well, Stevie was the only member who had a #1 single
Thank you for proving my point.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Numbers numbers numbers
who had more hit singles? Christine
who had the single with most weeks on the chart? Christine
touch
Christine also had hits in the United Kingdom where Stevie did not.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-04-2022, 05:33 PM
Karlie's Avatar
Karlie Karlie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Christine also had hits in the United Kingdom where Stevie did not.
She also had the best legs in Britain which Stevie did not!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2022, 05:51 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
She also had the best legs in Britain which Stevie did not!
Has anyone ever wondered if Stevie was tall enough to ride the rides at an amusement park?

I mean, as a child or adult.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-04-2022, 06:10 PM
bwboy's Avatar
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Thank you for proving my point.
And may I remind you Stevie was the first woman to be inducted into the RRHOF two times. Two times.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-04-2022, 06:20 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
And may I remind you Stevie was the first woman to be inducted into the RRHOF two times. Two times.
Well there's certainly no accounting for taste. See Roseanne and The Kardashians. Appealing to the lowest common denominator isn't a goal sought by those of greater taste.



__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-04-2022 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-04-2022, 06:39 PM
bwboy's Avatar
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I just think Save Me was a bit too MOR/meh for the mainstream charts. Its okay, but kind of bland. I think they released it as it was the most in keeping with their 80's hits. Its the song that mostly follows the Hold Me/Little Lies/Everywhere formula....just not as good. By that time though chart music had really moved on. Save Me was a bit behind the times.
Yes, I think a single version of Behind The Mask or Do You Know would have had a better chance of impacting on the charts. Think of the success of Extreme: More Than Words. I'm not for one minute saying Do You Know is as good a song as that, but I think it had a similar sort of vibe.

I actually remember reading Save Me was out in the charts...but I hadnt heard it yet. I remember Baywatch came out at around that time and it had a song called Save Me as the theme song. I had kinda hoped that was it.
....but no...that was by Peter Cetera.
I think youre pretty much spot on re Save Me. It was a bit behind the times in 1990. If it had only come out one year earlier, it might have been a bigger hit. Love that guitar by Rick Vito so much, though.

Now Im picturing Pamela Anderson and David Hasselfoff running on the beach to Save Me- Im running for cover
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-04-2022, 07:12 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
And may I remind you Stevie was the first woman to be inducted into the RRHOF two times. Two times.
She should have deferred to the true Queen of Rock, Tina Turner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie picture

Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie

$9.00



Christine McVie …1984 Original Video Promo Poster  24” x 36” picture

Christine McVie …1984 Original Video Promo Poster 24” x 36”

$19.99



Christine McVie  Posing Headshot 8x10 PHOTO PRINT picture

Christine McVie Posing Headshot 8x10 PHOTO PRINT

$7.98



Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie : Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie CD picture

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie : Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie CD

$7.77



Christine McVie picture

Christine McVie

$8.56




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved