Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy RIP B B King

I was lucky to get to see him play @ a Blues Festival in Atlantic City about 9 years ago, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd & B B King. It was a show that I'll never forget. Mr. King performed alone & with Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Not only was Mr. King an excellent blues player, but the was also an excellent story teller.

RIP B B King, you will be remembered & missed.

Lee
Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

King was one of the last with firsthand knowledge of some of the originators of recorded blues, following in their footsteps even blazed a trail for others to follow as he sought wider audiences and greater acceptance of the music he so loved.

Among the countless artists that King inspired was Peter Green. He was a major influence on Peter Green’s playing early in his career. I have posted a partial list of songs associated with King that Green either recorded or performed live during his years with Fleetwood Mac in the Peter Green forum.

King's music, and the music of those he inspired will live on.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I was lucky to get to see him play @ a Blues Festival in Atlantic City about 9 years ago, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd & B B King. It was a show that I'll never forget. Mr. King performed alone & with Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Not only was Mr. King an excellent blues player, but the was also an excellent story teller.

RIP B B King, you will be remembered & missed.

Lee
I caught him on tour around 7 years ago myself, and it had a similar effect on me. Obviously he was an impressive performer, but his storytelling was what I really walked away remembering. My friend Bill always says there are two types of old men: grumpy old men, and senile old men. BB didn't seem to be either- he was very sharp, funny, and impressively positive; especially given he was in his 80s and touring relentlessly at the time. We definitely lost a big link in the musical chain with his passing- he tied together multiple eras and genres. There can never be another like him!
Old 05-16-2015, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I mixed monitors for him(for a one off) about 6-7 years ago. Truly a gentleman, and he played a very long show(given his age - it was about 2 hours). After he introduced his band, he waved at me(since I was standing on the side of the stage) and thanked the "sound guys", and said that he was very happy with the sound.

My little B.B. King moment to always remember...
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He was the real deal. And there's not many of them left anymore.

I wish I could have seen him when he was young and healthy.

In one of my books I have a really cool picture of him and Elvis together.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 AM

B.B. King’s Daughters Say He Was Murdered
By Nick DeRiso May 25, 2015 9:23 PM

Homicide detectives in Clark County, Nevada, are investigating the death of B.B. King, after King’s daughters charged his long-time manager with murdering the blues legend.
Patty King has, in fact, made a series of thus-far-unproven claims against Laverne Toney, who held B.B. King’s power of attorney – including an elder-abuse charge just before he died on May 14. Investigations into that allegation, as well as a similar charge from back in November, found no evidence of wrong doing.

They’ve been making allegations all along,” Toney told the Associated Press. “What’s new?” Toney’s lawyer has similarly deemed this new charge “ridiculous.” Patty King and her sister Karen Williams filed identically worded affidavits stating their belief that B.B. King “was poisoned and that he was administered foreign substances. I believe my father was murdered.” They are blaming both Toney and personal assistant Myron Johnson.

Clark County coroner John Fudenberg performed an autopsy Sunday on B.B. King’s embalmed body. Toxicological results won’t be available, however, for as many as eight weeks. Fudenberg confirmed that King’s body has now been returned to a mortuary in Las Vegas. The latest investigation was confirmed by Lt. Ray Steiber of the Las Vegas police department.

Initially, B.B. King’s death was linked to the 89-year-old’s lengthy, and very public, battle with Type 2 diabetes. A memorial service was held in Las Vegas late last week.
A lawyer representing Patty King and Karen Williams – as well as other heirs including B.B. King’s daughters Michelle King, Barbara King Winfree and Claudette King Robinson – is also challenging King’s will. Attorney Larissa Drohobyczer claims Toney misappropriated millions of dollars, and is thus unqualified to serve as executor of the King estate.

Read More: B.B. King's Daughters Say He Was Murdered | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/b-b-k...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes we lost another great in music .

RIP B.B.

I hope they will find out the truth of what happen there.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Lawyer for B.B. King’s Manager Calls Murder Accusation ‘Baseless’
By Nick DeRiso May 29, 2015 9:45 AM

A lawyer for longtime B.B. King manager LaVerne Toney is calling explosive allegations that she poisoned the late blues legend ”baseless and unfounded.

This official press statement comes days after two of King’s daughters filed identical complaints against Toney, as well as personal assistant Myron Johnson, stating their belief that King was murdered. He died on May 14 at age 89 after waging a lengthy battle with Type 2 diabetes.

Unfortunately, even musical icons die,” attorney Brent Bryson says in the statement. “Ms. Toney did everything she could to carry out the wishes of Mr. King while he was alive, and continues to carry out Mr. King’s wishes after his death. I hope over these next few days we can focus on Mr. King’s musical gifts to the world, and not fictional statements made by those seeking attention at the expense of Mr. King.

Memorial events were held last week in Las Vegas, where King lived in his final years, and this week in Memphis, where he first rose to fame.

Meanwhile, police are investigating claims made by Patty King and her sister Karen Williams, though a coroner involved with the case has already confirmed that no immediate signs of foul play were found. A complete autopsy report will take weeks.

Bryson adds that King was under 24-hour care during his last illness, and overseen by certified nursing assistants and evaluated by registered nurses. Medical opinions from three doctors are also included in Bryson’s statement. They’re quoted as saying that no action was taken “to hasten the demise of Mr. King” and they saw “no evidence of inappropriate medications.

Read More: Lawyer for B.B. King's Manager Calls Murder Accusation 'Baseless' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/b-b-k...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]

A lawyer... – is also challenging King’s will.

Attorney Larissa Drohobyczer claims Toney misappropriated millions of dollars...

Here we go again. I love lawyers.

I'd bet Mr. King was worth a lot less than most would
guess at the time of his death.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I'd bet Mr. King was worth a lot less than most would
guess at the time of his death.
now whaddya mean with this? talking "money", you can be assured that b.b. king died as a RICH man - there's definitely no doubt about that. and he deserved it. but it's a cryin' shame that his death had to get associated with a turmoil like this!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Warren Haynes on His New Solo Album, Gov’t Mule’s Future and Working With B.B. King: Exclusive Interview
By Matt Wardlaw May 27, 2015 12:41 PM

You paid tribute to the music of the “Three Kings,” Albert King, Freddie King and B.B. King during Gov’t Mule’s New Year’s Eve performance in 2012. With the passing of B.B., I wanted to ask you about your specific love for his music and what you learned from him as a player and music fan.

I was in love with B.B.’s voice before I ever picked up a guitar. It was him, along with Ray Charles, that helped me realize I could focus equally on singing and playing. B.B. had a huge voice – and I tried to capture that sort of sound as well and to make my guitar sound like my voice the way he did. His sense of space in his phrasing was a lesson to all guitar players. Whenever I feel like I’m playing too many notes I say to myself, “Just think B.B. King.”

Did you ever have the chance to share the stage with B.B.?

A couple of times. It was a huge honor for me.

Read More: Warren Haynes on His New Solo Album, Gov't Mule's Future and Working With B.B. King: Exclusive Interview | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/warre...ckback=tsmclip
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
now whaddya mean with this? talking "money", you can be assured that b.b. king died as a RICH man...
I hope he did. I keep reading he had a net worth of about ten million dollars at
the time of his death, but I doubt it. How many living Blues guitarist can you name
that are rich? Eric Clapton excluded.

Considering how the music industry has cheated artist over the years from his
era, even more so black artists. And the track record of financial mistakes made
by most recording artist, I'm guessing that 10 million figure is exaggerated.

As sick as he's been these past many years, why would a multi-millionaire keep
touring? For love or money?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I hope he did. I keep reading he had a net worth of about ten million dollars at
the time of his death, but I doubt it. How many living Blues guitarist can you name
that are rich? Eric Clapton excluded.

Considering how the music industry has cheated artist over the years from his
era, even more so black artists. And the track record of financial mistakes made
by most recording artist, I'm guessing that 10 million figure is exaggerated.

As sick as he's been these past many years, why would a multi-millionaire keep
touring? For love or money?
to be quite honest: i'm not really interested in guesswork like that - what's the point anyway? my only wish is that b.b. may rest in peace finally. but that's what money can do for you . . .
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 AM

B.B. King Murder Investigation Results Revealed
By Jeff Giles July 14, 2015 9:26 AM

B.B. King‘s lawyer has revealed the results of an autopsy held to determine whether there’s any evidence to support allegations that his death on May 14 was the result of being poisoned by his business manager and personal assistant.

ABC News Radio quotes a statement from King’s attorney, E. Brent Bryson, which lists King’s actual cause of death as Alzheimer’s disease, along with coronary disease, heart failure and the effects of Type 2 diabetes. “It is unfortunate,” added Bryson, “that Mr. King’s body had to be subjected to a needless autopsy based upon fictional assertions.

As previously reported, a homicide investigation was opened after a pair of King’s daughters accused his manager, Laverne Toney, of poisoning him with the involvement of his assistant, Myron Johnson. That allegation followed a series of similar complaints brought against Toney by King’s heirs, including charges of elder abuse, all of which have been proven unfounded. King’s will has also been contested.

Toney’s lawyer immediately dismissed the accusations as “baseless and unfounded,” and preliminary results of the investigation turned up no evidence of wrongdoing, but these findings should clear up any lingering suspicion regarding King’s passing.

Both Ms. Toney and Mr. Johnson are happy that the spurious and disparaging allegations made by certain of Mr. King’s children against them, have been dispelled,” continues Bryson’s statement. “Perhaps we can now focus on the body of musical work Mr. King left the world and stop the ‘witch hunt’ so that Mr. King may now finally rest in peace.

Read More: B.B. King Murder Investigation Results Revealed | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/b-b-k...ckback=tsmclip