User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You know, I've been thinking about stardom, and how it changes people...

So I do sound for what I'd call mid-level acts. Acts that sell 300-3000 tickets. So what I've really been thinking about is how much some of them change, even from tour to tour. I did sound for a fairly big country name, last Friday. I did the same band, last summer(when they were still fairly fresh and new), and the whole entourage was FAR more friendly, a year ago(and I've witnessed this quite a few times). It's like "stardom" has made them guarded and distant, and avoid much personal contact.
Another example....Hank Williams III. When he first started, 10 or so years ago, he helped carry gear, and was just a regular Joe. A couple years later, he was much more guarded, and the last time I worked for him, he was so distant. NOTHING like the guy I initially met.
So yeah, I'm rambling here, but I guess my point is, that I can't imagine what 40 years of touring, and avoiding people, would manifest itself...
It doesn't happen to everyone, but it seems like it does to most of them.....

(pardon the ramble)
Although I have no first-hand experience, I'm sure everything you say is true. Unfortunately, when stars begin acting guarded I think we all tend to think it's because success has gone to their head and they have become egomaniacs, and sometimes that's exactly what it is. But in a lot of cases, I bet it's just because they've been used and/or betrayed by people they thought they could trust. Certainly Fleetwood Mac had its share of hangers-on over the years.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Especially since we always hear how life on the road is a lot of waiting around in hotels, lonely etc. so why not haul out the laptop, nothin' else to do right?

John
I agree with you, John and still I wonder why men do it and women not...
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. Musicians tend to suck at GH and the like. I heard Rush had one of the lowest scores ever recorded.
that's because playing the guitar in Guitar Hero is NOTHING like playing a real guitar. Most real guitarists, and good guitarists, suck at it. I would expect Lindsey to totally suck at it and would be disappointed otherwise.

Now the drums in Rock Band are actually quite realistic....and super hard to play.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
that's because playing the guitar in Guitar Hero is NOTHING like playing a real guitar. Most real guitarists, and good guitarists, suck at it. I would expect Lindsey to totally suck at it and would be disappointed otherwise.

Now the drums in Rock Band are actually quite realistic....and super hard to play.
Yeah, the GH guitar is very different from a real one, and when you are used to play a real guitar you may find it difficult having to press buttons instead of different chords. The RB drums are "almost" similar to the real ones (the plates are missing), but can you imagine Mick playing it?

Or Chris playing the piano on 2 iPad via Pianist Pro? Naaaa, NEVER!

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-29-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Two or three years ago I ordered CD's from Rick Vito's website and he offered to autograph them for me, no charge.

I obviously jumped at that chance, and he not only signed them all, he individualized each one and offered to sign any other CD's of his (FM material included), all I had to do was send it to him.

We exchanged emails a few times, general type stuff and found him to be a really down to earth, accessible, friendly guy who definitely/genuinely cares about his fans.

Great guy in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
How cool is technology these days, that I've had ~real time~ online discussions with Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, and Bob Welch? Just been trading comments with Rick, on his new signature guitar line, that Reverent Guitars put out.
....Of course the technology isn't what makes those members accessible. It's just the natural, humble nature of the artists. I can't imagine Stevie, Lindsey, or my beloved Christine, ever bothering to do that!
I do agree about humble nature, specially after reading all those short laconic and succinct.. almost reluctant answers at the Ask Stevie section of the nicksfix.com (after all, I think nobody forced her to open that section, so what did she agree? I never understood, it was like she didn't enjoy answering, then why??), I think your comment applies specially on Stevie.

But on the other hand, can you imagine going to every place and everybody wants to tell you Hello!!, ask for a picture (or just take them without asking you), an autograph, touch you, hug you, etc.? Almost impossible to run some errands alone, stop at a gas station, hang around in Disney World, walk in your street with your dog, enter the Louvre museum, walk in Sunset Blvd., enjoy the sand in Venice beach etc..

Bekka, Rick and the others weren't that famous (maybe Bob was), and their fame momentum were shorter than the Rumours lineup singers. I guess Lindsey, Stevie, Chris, got reeeeally tired of fame during the 70s and 80s. Oversaturated actually. So I'm not surprised they are not accesible at all.

I like to go Broadway theatres every time I go to NYC. Once I saw Tom Hanks with Rita and their sons. He was very serious and entered and left the theatre thru a backstage door (even at intermission) so there was llitle chance to contact him. I just saw him few seconds. Of cours he didn't want to be annoyed. Of course I didn't try to reach him for an autograph or something. I considered it completely inaapropiate.

The 2nd time I saw a movie star was again at a Broadway theatre. It was Whoopi Goldberg. She remained seated during the intermissions (2 friends at her sides) but she was very smiling and friendly so I dared to ask her for an autograph and she signed it for me, very kind.

Yes you are right, there are people and people. But I wouldn't blame on Tom, Stevie, Christine, Prince Charles, etc. I can't imagine how difficult their life must be, in many aspects.

Privacy is something I would never give up (as freedom). In fact privacy is a kind of freedom.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But on the other hand, can you imagine going to every place and everybody wants to tell you Hello!!, ask for a picture (or just take them without asking you), an autograph, touch you, hug you, etc.? Almost impossible to run some errands alone, stop at a gas station, hang around in Disney World, walk in your street with your dog, enter the Louvre museum, walk in Sunset Blvd., enjoy the sand in Venice beach etc..

Privacy is something I would never give up (as freedom). In fact privacy is a kind of freedom.
I totally agree with you, Villavic! Great post and you did the right thing choosing not to follow Tom Hanks for an autograph. Whoopi as always was so sweet
When you love an artist you must respect his/her privacy and think about what you'd do if you were famous too and you couldn't even go in your backyard or at the bathroom without fans or paparazzi following you everywhere, trying to enter in your house, trying to kiss and touch you, always asking for autographs or photos...I'd go crazy! O_o