User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
If you think it will be a tremendous success in your town, imagine an A-bomb explosion in NYC, home of the $3 tomato. Back when TJ's first store opened near Union Square, there were literally lines down the block just to get into the store. Even today, there are still lines to get into TJ Wines, which is a separate store next door. I heard somewhere that this TJ receives 10,000 customers every day and has the highest gross revenue per square foot of any store in the entire city. It's a tiny store too- perhaps as big as a typical pharmacy.
I can certainly imagine that that's what it will be like, here. My town is, quite literally, a liberal OASIS, in a sea of redneck mediocrity. We always say, go 30 miles in any given direction, and it's a different world! A scary world.
I can't wait to get me some TJ's!

I do worry, somewhat, about what it will do to all of our already existing healthfood/international markets that we have(and we have quite a few for a town of only 100K). Obviously, the weaker ones will fail. UGH! My favorite one, is directly across the street, from the location where TJ's is going in.

I almost feel a Walmart analogy coming to mind. Company comes in, and does everything better(not) and cheaper than anyone else can do, and runs everyone else out of business.
I'm still excited about TJ's, but the possible ramifications just crossed my mind.....
Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I can certainly imagine that that's what it will be like, here. My town is, quite literally, a liberal OASIS, in a sea of redneck mediocrity. We always say, go 30 miles in any given direction, and it's a different world! A scary world.
I can't wait to get me some TJ's!

I do worry, somewhat, about what it will do to all of our already existing healthfood/international markets that we have(and we have quite a few for a town of only 100K). Obviously, the weaker ones will fail. UGH! My favorite one, is directly across the street, from the location where TJ's is going in.

I almost feel a Walmart analogy coming to mind. Company comes in, and does everything better(not) and cheaper than anyone else can do, and runs everyone else out of business.
I'm still excited about TJ's, but the possible ramifications just crossed my mind.....
TJs does carry some quas-international fare (veggie dumplings, curries, pad thai, etc.), but it's hardly enough to replace a real ethnic grocery. They don't carry soba noodles or seaweed. The reason why TJ will not run other businesses out of business is that their selection is very, very limited. For example, you really will not find cleaning products, cosmetics and many toiletries there (although they do carry Tom's of Maine products). TJ does excel in terms of baked deserts, breads, snack food, cheese, frozen burritos (??) and coffee.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I had an anxiety attack in TJ's near Union Square. I was with a friend who wanted to "pick up a few things" on the way back to his apartment. It was sooooo crowded, and we wound up in a traffic jam of carts. I knew that so far, my friend only had a few plums in his cart, and yet we were going to endure the crowd of carts just to pay for them. My face and ears turned scarlet, I broke out in hives on my neck and started to hyperventilate because I felt trapped. I told him I'd wait outside because I couldn't handle it. I'm just not a crowd person anymore.
Yeah, the Union Square TJ's is not for the faint of heart. Have you been to the new one in Chelsea? It is enormous! Plenty of elbow room and the lines are not so "snaky." And not so full of those annoying NYU kids.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
petep9000
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tonight, I'm having a turkey & spinach lasagna I bought at Costco.

I want to drizzle some bearnaise sauce on it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Tonight, I'm having a turkey & spinach lasagna I bought at Costco.

I want to drizzle some bearnaise sauce on it.
I must have missed my invitation.

For me tonight... a protein (whey) shake.
Mmm good.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

Ham and muenster paninis, spring mix salad and soup. A comfort dinner...mmmm.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was too lazy to make food tonight, so I just had a leftover sandwhich of Quorn Chicken, Sugar Snap Peas and Carrots. Accompanied by a small pot of fat free Rice Pudding and a handful of Raspberries.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

God, I hit a China Buffet, and hate myself for it. I DID get it to go, but still put too much food in the box.

I've gained 6 lbs since Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to lose it. And I WILL. But I was starving when I went there, and put about 33% more than I needed, in the box. And I never waste food.....

But still, it was delicious. I LOVE me some chinese!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I LOVE me some chinese!

I never dated one.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
TJs does carry some quas-international fare (veggie dumplings, curries, pad thai, etc.), but it's hardly enough to replace a real ethnic grocery. They don't carry soba noodles or seaweed. The reason why TJ will not run other businesses out of business is that their selection is very, very limited. For example, you really will not find cleaning products, cosmetics and many toiletries there (although they do carry Tom's of Maine products). TJ does excel in terms of baked deserts, breads, snack food, cheese, frozen burritos (??) and coffee.
Ah, I had no idea about the limited selection.

Brainstorm! I'm on vacation in Nashville, and I just did a search, and there's a TJ down on the south side. I know this town like the back of my hand, but I've never seen TJ's down there. But tomorrow, I will pop my TJ cherry! I might have to take me home a case of Two Buck Chuck!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I never dated one.
I've dated several.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For Supper...I had a whole lot of mushrooms. Turns out my Mom's been cooking her Chicken Pot Pie for years with effin Creme of Mushroom Soup, and today decides to tell me before I eat it. I hate mushrooms, and just knowing it had a billion little minced mushrooms in it had a great enough psychological effect on me that I had to eat it very carefully trying not to get a big piece of mushroom. And after supper I felt sick to my stomach
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
petep9000
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I had an anxiety attack in TJ's near Union Square. I was with a friend who wanted to "pick up a few things" on the way back to his apartment. It was sooooo crowded, and we wound up in a traffic jam of carts. I knew that so far, my friend only had a few plums in his cart, and yet we were going to endure the crowd of carts just to pay for them. My face and ears turned scarlet, I broke out in hives on my neck and started to hyperventilate because I felt trapped. I told him I'd wait outside because I couldn't handle it. I'm just not a crowd person anymore.
I seriously couldn't deal. I had to leave. Not only was it crowded as hell, but there was NO FOOD. I guess that's what they get for putting it directly below an NYU dorm. Unfortunately, it's the most convenient TJ for me, so I got TJ-less. The one in Chelsea and the one on the UWS are both pointless because of how annoying it is to get to them from my locations.

Tonight, I sauteed up some onions, broccoli and spinach in some oyster sauce and mixed in some pre-cooked udon noodles that are meant to be made into soup (they come with a flavor packet) but that I never eat in the intended way, mostly because the instructions for making the soup are in Japanese.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

No love for my pot roast?

I was going to post a photo of my wild boar agnolotti (w/ torn herb panzanella) & avocado deviled eggs evening tonight, but maybe I'll just listen to "Smiling Islands" instead !
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I'm obsessed with Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives...

A couple of weeks ago, they featured a Jamaican restaurant in Nashville(where I'm vacationing now). So, I searched it out, and went there today. If anyone saw this episode, the lady was even nicer than she was to Guy Fieri. Gave me like 5 different samples of different dishes, so I could decide. We talked for about 10 minutes, before I picked something. She kept asking me, and everyone else, if we thought she looked like Oprah, because she said everyone who saw 3D, thought she looked like Oprah.

Anyway, she asked me if I like spicy(which I love), so I went with the spicy jerk chicken, with cabbage, red beans and rice, and a jonny cake(bread). But I got some mango hot chili sauce on the side, and that sh*t would melt steel! I mean, it was good, but I left there, drenched in sweat!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jam...46065705414331

http://www.jamaicawaycatering.com/restaurantmenu.html