User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Christine's Solo Tour

Hello
I Just wondered if any here had atteneted any of Christine's solo shows & What They where like?
And If Any had a boot from this tour the could share apart from the one recorded for the video
Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll always regret never having seen Christine on her solo tour. I believe I saw the Jacksons' Victory tour 11 times that year, but I didn't see Christine once. I only have the video. Here are some reviews.

Miami Herald (FL) June 2, 1984

Section: AMUSEMENTS

A FATIGUED MCVIE IS STILL IN FINE VOICE

LINDA R. THORNTON Herald Arts Writer

A nonstop tour schedule of one-night stands since April 15 has left singer-songwriter Christine McVie more than a mite weary. Her lack of energy was evident in concert Thursday night at Sunrise Musical Theatre, and was the only deterrent to an otherwise fine performance.

McVie was in good voice, right on the mark with her distinctive smoky, sleepy, blues singing style. She was backed by an excellent five-piece band, most of whose members also accompanied her on her recently released solo album, titled Christine McVie. Her repertoire was a well-chosen selection of her solo songs, as well as those she has recorded in her 13-year career with Fleetwood Mac.

McVie's reputation as a laid-back performer seems to have preceded her throughout her first tour apart from the legendary band. Sunrise Theatre was less than half full, as has been the case at many of McVie's other stops. This was unfortunate, not only for McVie and band, but also for those who missed the show, an enjoyable and musically proficient package of ballads, rockabilly and basic rock 'n' roll.

McVie is more than aware that the tour hasn't been a big draw.

"Being on solo tour is less and more than I expected," she said after the show. "Actually, I expected more people, but I'm happy with the response from the people that did come out."

Those who did made up for their small numbers with a warm reception, which became warmer and louder as McVie seemed to pick up on their positive vibes and opened up, if just a little.

Accompanying herself on electric and acoustic piano, McVie sang most of the songs from the Christine McVie album, including its two singles -- Got a Hold on Me, which became a hit soon after its release, and Love Will Show Us How, now rising on the charts. Also memorable were her album cuts Ask Anybody, a haunting ballad that clearly displays the soulful emotion of McVie's voice, and So Excited, a rollicking rockabilly-style number.

For the most part, the songs from McVie's solo album sounded better than the Fleetwood Mac hits she sang -- Hold Me, Over My Head, You Make Loving Fun and Don't Stop. Don't Stop, especially, sounded rather empty without Stevie Nicks' high accompanying vocals.

McVie's back-up band nearly made up for her subdued manner with an energetic, rhythmic performance. Lead guitarist Todd Sharp (especially notable for some hot breaks), guitarist Steve Bruton, bassist George Hawkins, drummer Steve Ferrone and keyboardist Eddy Quintela formed a tight, balanced unit. When the three guitarists performed without McVie on Guitar Bug, a bouncy rocker a la Chuck Berry, the audience responded almost as enthusiastically as it did at McVie's encore.

McVie, who said she plans to record another solo album after helping Fleetwood Mac complete its new LP, looked smashingly British in red suede boots, a black and white leopard-spotted blouse, black vest and jeans.

Opening the show for McVie was the Baxter Robertson Band, a five-piece Los Angeles-based rock group with a good beat, some promising songs, and a hard-working lead singer-guitarist-saxophone player.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Philadelphia Inquirer, May 18, 1984

Christine McVie, who will appear at the Tower Theater tomorrow night, has two big hits just now with "Got a Hold on Me" and "Love Will Show Us How," songs from her first solo album since the late '60s, "Christine McVie" (Warner Bros.).

Most of the time, of course, McVie is a vocalist, songwriter and keyboardist for Fleetwood Mac, one of the most popular bands of the last decade. It has often seemed as if McVie's clear, calm voice represented some measure of maturity and grace within the context of a band that also includes the charmingly loony Lindsey Buckingham and the spacily romantic Stevie Nicks.

"Christine McVie" features a band that McVie assembled just for this
project, and if the album has a certain slickness, it also features a few
sharply phrased songs and some of McVie's finest singing - all in all, it's a
first-rate pop album.

Christine McVie will be at the Tower Theater tomorrow at 8 p.m. Tickets are
$12.50 and $10.50. For more information, call LOVE-222.

The Inquirer's Concert Review is already on the site: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/archive/philly6.htm

Also see Philadelphia Daily News: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...dailynews3.htm
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A962948260

New York Times (NY), May 17, 1984

Section: C
ROCK: CHRISTINE MCVIE SINGS

Stephen Holden

WITH her smoky folk -blues voice and original songs that suggest stormy emotions brewing beneath a placid surface, Christine McVie is the musical center of the British-American folk-rock group Fleetwood Mac. Miss McVie is the latest member of the group to record a solo album. Monday, the singer and keyboardist appeared at the Beacon Theater with a solidly professional band that included Todd Sharp, the guitarist with whom she has collaborated on many of her recent songs.

The concert exemplified both the pleasures and the limitations of the Southern California rock style that Fleetwood Mac represents. The music's smooth steady rhythms, hummable tunes and fluid instrumental interchanges involving various configurations of two keyboards and two guitars maintained a pleasantly luxuriant musical ambiance.

Singing Fleetwood Mac songs as well as her solo album material, the singer projected an appealing sweetness, but her placidity ultimately worked against her. Where Fleetwood Mac's individual quirks have given the group's music a satisfying stylistic diversity, Miss McVie embraced only one idiom - the midtempo folk-rock ballad - without offering any significant change in mood.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
Hello
I Just wondered if any here had atteneted any of Christine's solo shows & What They where like?
And If Any had a boot from this tour the could share apart from the one recorded for the video
Thanks
I saw the show at Universal City, Los Angeles. A star-studded gala! Well, not exactly, but Mick & Lindsey attended. Mick came down front & sat in the audience, & Lindsey stayed backstage. Word was that Stevie came backstage, too, but I don't know.
I brought my Sony Recording Walkman to this show to tape, but I didn't have the power on until halfway through the show when I looked down & saw the little red light was not on!! So I cussed & turned it on quickly, just in time for "Hold Me."

I bought the long-sleeve white shirt with the piano keys on the front & "Universal 6.15.84" on the back. That same year at the same venue I also saw Rickie Lee Jones, with George Hawkins on bass & backup vocals. George had already played with Christine's band as well as with Mick Fleetwood's band.

Connie Johnson or Kristine McKenna reviewed Christine's concert in the L.A. Times.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 AM

Thumbs up

I saw this concert in Cleveland, I believe in April of 1984. My parents took me because i begged and begged them until they couldn't take it anymore. I was 15 years old and knew Christine from Mystery and Heroes FM etc. I saw the MTV special and was a little dissappointed, but her show in Cleveland was amazing. It was a small bar called the Agora. She came out and said, sorry we moved you (the venue). It was originally scheduled to be at Music Hall. "We're gonna play a little extra for you tonight for that little mishap." Todd Sharp, from Parma Ohio did a little solo that I didn't hear in the bootlegs. It wasn't Guitar Bug, but I can't remember what it was. Other than that I don't remember the set list being any different from anything else I've seen since.

I thought Hold Me a bit better by her solo ensemble than FM in the Mirage Concert. This show was really explosive and not nearly as flat as it sounded on MTV. I'd never seen Christine so alive... She was hammered on Champagne too... Nobody plays better drunk than Christine.....

Highlights... This Smile I Live For, Hold Me, Ask Anybody, Just Crazy Love, Too Much Is Not Enough, Over My Head, Songbird... I was under her piano on the right hand side and she smiled at me while singing it. She did say that she really appreciated our reaction to her songs as she wasn't used to being a soloist. She really had a lot of fun up there. I'll never forget it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this show at the Orpheum in Boston (a mid-sized theater). I don't remember specifically how big the crowd was, but I think it was sold out. I bought the short-sleeved version of the t-shirt with the flowing keyboard. I wore it every time I went to see Fleetwood Mac afterwards.

It was a wonderful show; just to see Christine in her rightful place as the leader of the band was such a thrill. I don't understand the lukewarm reviews; that band was lively and exciting, and Chris more than held her own in the spotlight. I think she succeeded in this, even with her relatively modest personality, exactly because she let the band stretch out a little. As she has said herself, she's not comfortable in a role as the big star of a band; she thinks of herself as a musician with other musicians in a band. Having recorded the album with that band they were very familiar with the material and they sounded great.

The band did get to play that one song without Christine, when she said she was going off stage "to dry my hair."

The musical highlights for me were the two 'Welch era' songs -- "Spare Me a Little" and "Just Crazy Love." I remember she introduced JCL as a song that was a particular favorite of hers. (I agree, wholeheartedly.) Of course she ended with "Songbird," and it was mesmerizing.

After the show an audience member who had been sitting across the aisle to my right (we were close to the front, second row, maybe) jumped up on stage and ran over to Christine. I forget the dude's name, but he posted about this over on the now-defunct Christine McVie website message board. He said he had intended to buy her flowers but then he spent the money on drinks. (I think that was it.) Christine seemed mildly startled, but he was just trying to show her that he adored her, and only good came of the incident.

That's one show I will revisit if they ever invent that time machine that lets you go back to concerts of the past.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Junior Ledgie

I did'nt know she performed "Just Crazy Love" did shestep out fom behind the keyboard/piano for any songs?
I love to hear a boot with "Just Crazy Love" On
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
I did'nt know she performed "Just Crazy Love" did shestep out fom behind the keyboard/piano for any songs?
I love to hear a boot with "Just Crazy Love" On
World Turning
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she only did "World Turning" at the Country Club show when Mick was a guest (as was Billy Burnette)...the one they filmed for the video release. I don't think it was a regular tune in her touring set.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I think she only did "World Turning" at the Country Club show when Mick was a guest (as was Billy Burnette)...the one they filmed for the video release. I don't think it was a regular tune in her touring set.
Maybe it was Too much is not enough... She was up front with maracas for sure I do know that.... It was so long ago...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Chris at the Tower Theatre in Philly. I had the same feeling that Joanne did. It was a thrill to see just Christine, without Fleetwood Mac. It was a pretty good crowd, but if I remember correctly(this was nearly 25 years ago), it wasn't sold out. The band was really good & Chris herself sounded fantastic! At that time, I didn't have any of the Bob Welch era FM albums, so "Just Crazy Love" & "Spare Me A Little" were new to me. I also thought that "Hold Me" sounded better than the FM live version on the Mirage tour. She definitely didn't do "World Turning". She only played that for the video, as far as I know. I think she played keyboards on "Too Much Is Not Enough", which I thought sounded great.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Maybe it was Too much is not enough... She was up front with maracas for sure I do know that.... It was so long ago...
Nobody seems to remember. Was it "So Excited"? I think she played her accordion for that.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nobody seems to remember. Was it "So Excited"? I think she played her accordion for that.
Didn't she play piano on "so excited"

Last edited by trotter; 01-24-2008 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

I Found the date of the show i wanted if any has it Chicago IL 5/6/84