Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Default album reviews i found

review of 2 albums, w/ some Chris mentions:

By the time Bare Trees appeared in 1972, Fleetwood Mac seemed to be largely a spent force, at least in Britain and Europe, although they always managed to keep a grassroots following in the States throughout their many early-'70s lineup changes. Apart from the ever-present rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (good job, considering the band's name), the only member still present from their Peter Green glory days was guitarist Danny Kirwan, who only lasted a matter of months following its release himself. The music was the usual blues-based style that the band's fans had come to expect, with no hint yet of the smooth AOR-isms that were ushered in by their new American contingent a mere three years later; I don't know how fans rate this album, but it sounds perfectly respectable to me, although with little of the spark of their earlier material.

Christine Perfect (later McVie, of course) had joined a couple of albums earlier, and very much made her presence felt here with good helpings of organ and various pianos, plus, of course, Mellotron on a couple of tracks. Well, I say a couple, but that's working on the assumption that no-one's playing real cello on the album, and it is 'Tron on 'Sunny Side of Heaven'. It's most certainly a nice, melodic Mellotron flute part on 'The Ghost', though, although I'd have trouble recommending the album just for the track. Actually, although it's not bad, I'd have trouble genuinely recommending it to anyone who isn't a major fan of rather average UK rock of the period (and I know you're out there); it has neither the raw talent of their early work, or the radio-friendliness of the West Coast version of the band.

The following year's Penguin shows the first signs of the Mac's musical move towards the West Coast, with a smoother, more Americanised sound than Bare Trees. It's not entirely bereft of energy, although even the more rock'n'roll numbers like '(I'm a) Road Runner' still lack a certain something. Christine's Mellotron use is again on two tracks only; 'Bright Fire' has a flute line running all the way through (I presume it's 'Tron flute), while 'Night Watch' has a good chunk of strings, although I couldn't really call either track essential.

I found a Christine McVie interview on the Web where she states that there was 'a lot of Mellotron' on 'Why' from next album up, Mystery to Me (**½), but all I can hear on the thing is straight orchestral strings, so I've no idea where that one comes from. I've heard their two subsequent albums, too, Heroes Are Hard to Find (***) (nice pants, Mick!) and their commercial breakthrough, 1975's Fleetwood Mac (***), but there's not a trace of 'Tron, unless my ears are seriously deceiving me. Interestingly, at a recent-ish auction of old Mac gear, most of Christine's keyboards were put up for sale, except her Mellotron, which she explicitly instructed was NOT to be sold. So, can we expect it to turn up on something in future? Well, don't hold your breath, OK?

-Lis
Old 02-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting. It sounds like this person was a big fan of Christine's Mellotron.