The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I did an IMDB search and Eddy's name came up when Little Lies appeared on Dancing with the Stars and in some movie. So, if it ever breaks out again the way Everywhere just did, he can be rolling in the moolah like it was still 1987.

Michele
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Ledgie

By all accounts he seemed like a pretty decent guy and they were certainly together for quite a while (14 years). I think it's great that they were able to separate and have it kept very quiet and private without having a tabloid-spun blow by blow in the press; that says a lot about both of them. I know he was into music before he met Chris, and certainly was during their marriage, and I thought I read he moved back to Lisbon - was just curious if he was still in the music business at all.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eddy Quintela was a musician and song writer before crossing paths with Christine. He was very talented in both areas and the songs are great but the heavy-handed, usually boringly synthesized, product that was produced in those years doesn't stand up well I don't feel. People like Buckingham are to blame spending over a year per album polishing and tweaking... it probably really got started with Brian Wilson and John Phillips before him though. I would love to have earlier versions of all those songs!

I gave away the double LP Tusk after one listen in 1979-80, so if someone did the same with Time I can't really fault them on just that. I didn't even buy Time myself until quite some time later. I like and respect Buckingham as a guitarist and singer, but most of Tusk belonged on a solo album of his own.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Eddy Quintela was a musician and song writer before crossing paths with Christine. He was very talented in both areas and the songs are great but the heavy-handed, usually boringly synthesized, product that was produced in those years doesn't stand up well I don't feel.
I can see how people could think that. But heavily-synthed and arguably over-produced Christine songs are actually the ones that work best for me. Maybe because she's never been a singer/songwriter that packs a huge emotional wallop for me (with a few exceptions), I find that sort of treatment suits her songs well in a way that I don't find at all when LB does it to his own writing. With Chris, I don't feel like anything is really lost in the production, and I don't think I'd really appreciate an earlier demo of these songs all that much. The finished products are pure pop perfection to my ears, and in a way I'm sorry that a lot of her best Quintela collabs are on BTM and Time, because a lot of people are really missing out.

I'm actually a bad Mac fan. I just assumed that Everywhere was a Quintela collaboration along with Little Lies, just because of how darn snappy it is. I need to pay more attention to liner notes!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Ledgie

Does anyone else get a chuckle out of the fact that Eddy's daughters name is "Sara"?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellolovely View Post
Does anyone else get a chuckle out of the fact that Eddy's daughters name is "Sara"?
How do we know this? I missed out that he had kid(s).
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Ledgie

Unfortunately all I know for sure is that he has a daughter named Sara. She was born sometime after he and Chris divorced, I believe.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course, I don't know what Eddy looks like these days and what kind of shape he is in, but remember back then it was noteworthy that Chris was with a younger man. Today, I'm sure if you saw them together, no one would guess that he was the younger one.

Michele
Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Of course, I don't know what Eddy looks like these days and what kind of shape he is in, but remember back then it was noteworthy that Chris was with a younger man. Today, I'm sure if you saw them together, no one would guess that he was the younger one.

Michele
I saw some photos of him circa 2000 and he had a new girlfriend and had become, recently, a US citizen. I still have no idea what he does (or did). He could still be involved in music somehow. Who knows?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
How do we know this? I missed out that he had kid(s).
And Sara's sisters are Greta, Jane and Annabel Lee?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not my favorite era, but I don't know if it's because of Eddy Quintela or if it's just some of the musical fashions of that time period that I don't care for. Lots of artists have written differently in different pop culture environments. And there are other Christine/Mac songs from that era that weren't co-written by him that I also don't care for. So I dunno if it has much to do with him in particular. I do like "Little Lies" a lot.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To my ears, the best Christine-Eddy collaborations are "Little Lies," Hollywood," "Nights in Estoril" and "Temporary One."

I am not a huge fan of their collaborations in general. A song like "Skies the Limit": decent, attractive verse ruined by a bad chorus. The same thing with "Love Will Show Us How" (not an Eddy collaboration). In both cases, the verse sounds very much like Christine. The chorus--whoever penned it, doesn't fit with her voice. One of the things I love about In the Meantime is that the Christine-Dan Perfect collaborations sound a lot tighter and more original. I know some people don't like the production on the album but I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about the songs...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
To my ears, the best Christine-Eddy collaborations are "Little Lies," Hollywood," "Nights in Estoril" and "Temporary One."

I am not a huge fan of their collaborations in general. A song like "Skies the Limit": decent, attractive verse ruined by a bad chorus. The same thing with "Love Will Show Us How" (not an Eddy collaboration). In both cases, the verse sounds very much like Christine. The chorus--whoever penned it, doesn't fit with her voice. One of the things I love about In the Meantime is that the Christine-Dan Perfect collaborations sound a lot tighter and more original. I know some people don't like the production on the album but I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about the songs...
I can say a lot of bad things about the songs (Liar). But the ones Dan wrote alone, Calumny and Northern Star are some of the most perfect things I've ever heard, with Christine singing them the way she does.

Michele
Old 06-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I can say a lot of bad things about the songs (Liar). But the ones Dan wrote alone, Calumny and Northern Star are some of the most perfect things I've ever heard, with Christine singing them the way she does.

Michele
Boooh. Those songs are terrific. I even love Liar. No lie.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Boooh. Those songs are terrific. I even love Liar. No lie.
Liar has really grown on me recently!! I can't believe it either. I completely understand exactly what she means in the lyrics.