The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I think Lindsey’s songwriting has matured much more over the years compared to the other 2. His lyrics now are normally quite interesting whereas they used to be rather throwaway.

Lindsey’s songwriting has matured
Christines generally stayed the same
Steve’s fell away dramatically

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I'm sorry, nothing against Christine but the above is just not the case because–if nothing else–Christine didn't "consistently" release material post-1987. One song on Greatest Hits, her contributions to Behind The Mask and to Time (her contributions to Time were "fantastic"?), "Temporary One" (fantastic?), In The Meantime, and Buckingham McVie. That is not consistent output – and I would argue not "fantastic" output either, though that much is a matter of opinion.

Compare the above to Lindsey's contributions to SYW, Extended Play, Buckingham McVie, his rejected '95 album (some of which is on YT), OOTC, and his 2006-present solo albums. Lindsey is the only one with consistent post-Tango output at all, much less the only one with post-Tango output that is consistently good (not fantastic, but solidly good).

As for Christine's post '70's material being better than her '70s songs? Again I'm sorry, but I find the suggestion absurd. I love "Little Lies" and can appreciate why others love "Everywhere." But compared to "Over My Head" "Say You Love Me" "Songbird" and "You Make Loving Fun"? Not even close. And the idea that any of her post-'87 material (including that on BM, and yes I think "CB" is great) is as good or better than her material from 1975-79 such as the four songs referenced above? Again, I find such a suggestion absurd.

Hey. Sorry…..what is ‘CB’???
Edit: okay….Carnival Begin…..just got it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-08-2023, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Oh the Facebook comments when that monotonous mess gets posted are always top of the line. “My queen slayyyyying this one!!” Please, slaughtering is more applicable.
Exactly.

She could eat a case of White Castles and blow the song out her ass, and BW would rave about how great it was.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Since Rock a Little, Rooms on Fire, the long version of Planets of the Universe, Moonlight, and Secret Love. So four songs, I guess. And then with Fleetwood Mac, Thrown Down is my favorite Stevie song since Tango. And considering Stevie has released so many albums compared to Christine, that’s a pretty poor showing. I no longer even have the last few albums by Stevie. You mentioned Blue Denim and Trouble in Shangri-La- are they some of your favorites? I thought they were ok, I didn’t dislike them at all but I found them unmemorable. Show Them the Way IMO, is really really bad. Right up there with What’s the Matter Baby.
I like the music of Show Them The Way. What bothers me about that song is that there is no message. She sings about a dream but she doesn't say what The Way is. Is it kindness? Is it voting? All I know is people are drinking champagne in The Hamptons.

I do think Blue Denim and TISL are her strongest solo songs in the last 30 years. Now I find her songs on SYW as my favorite. I think someone posted once that her 9 songs are her best solo album and I agree with it. I am a Silver Girl sucker. I think the lyrics are great on that song and I get what she's trying to get across.

To this day, Stevie says that four songs on SYW are among her best. I think those are Destiny Rules, Silver Girl, Say You Will, and Everybody Finds Out
Old 01-08-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Exactly.

She could eat a case of White Castles and blow the song out her ass, and BW would rave about how great it was.
You be quiet! He was saying Christine is the best!!! And he is right!
Old 01-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You be quiet! He was saying Christine is the best!!! And he is right!
In his eyes, Stevie can do no wrong.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
In his eyes, Stevie can do no wrong.
Well, that's good. Because otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about around here.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I do think Blue Denim and TISL are her strongest solo songs in the last 30 years. Now I find her songs on SYW as my favorite. I think someone posted once that her 9 songs are her best solo album and I agree with it. I am a Silver Girl sucker. I think the lyrics are great on that song and I get what she's trying to get across.

To this day, Stevie says that four songs on SYW are among her best. I think those are Destiny Rules, Silver Girl, Say You Will, and Everybody Finds Out
I remember reading several reviews of Trouble in Shangri-La that said if was her best album since Bella Donna. While I can recognize the production is fantastic, for some reason I just couldn’t get into it. I don’t hate it, but except for Planets of the Universe, I found it unmemorable. Yet I can can listen to Rock a Little pretty much from the first song to the last song without skipping one track, even though I recognize that When I See You Again and the Nightmare are kind of, well, crappy lol. I had to look at Wikipedia to remember what else was on Trouble, and I couldn’t even remember how Love Is or Candlebright went.

Same thing with Say You Will- I had such high hopes but except for Thrown Down, I find Stevie’s songs unmemorable. Well, I like Say You Will, too. And by Lindsey I loved Peacekeeper and What’s the World Coming To. Goodbye Baby sounds like a mistake, like Lindsey put the wrong take on the album! But it’s interesting that you mention Silver Girl, Destiny Rules, and Everybody Finds Out. I actively dislike Silver Girl and Everybody Finds Out but can tolerate Destiny Rules. I recognize they’re well done, I just don’t like them. When I saw this tour on opening night, I remember thinking it was too bad the one time FM performs a lot of new songs from an album, it had to be from an album I didn’t care for lol.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly.

As a matter of fact, she did eat a case of White Castle hamburgers once and then write a song about ir- Storms from Tusk! And it is a great song, damnit!
Old 01-08-2023, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yet I can can listen to Rock a Little pretty much from the first song to the last song without skipping one track, even though I recognize that When I See You Again and the Nightmare are kind of, well, crappy lol.
Is the hate for When I See You Again the "Whatsamattababy?"? I like that song except for Lindsey's loud singing at the end.

Yet people love The Second Time. That is the most depressing song I've heard from Stevie or Mac. Feel like I'm dying when I hear it.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As a matter of fact, she did eat a case of White Castle hamburgers once and then write a song about ir- Storms from Tusk! And it is a great song, damnit!
No wonder Storms is my least favorite song on Tusk. It's the Gassy $tevie anthem. Enjoy the stench.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Shoot I thought that’s where Rooms on Fire came from!
Old 01-08-2023, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Is the hate for When I See You Again the "Whatsamattababy?"? I like that song except for Lindsey's loud singing at the end.

Yet people love The Second Time. That is the most depressing song I've heard from Stevie or Mac. Feel like I'm dying when I hear it.
As far as WISYA, those incessant Whassamattababayyyys are definitely at the top of my list. But her voice throughout and the rest of the lyrics are also awful. “She walks slowly down the hall, there are many doors in the hallway…she stares at the stairs, oooh there are many things to stare at these days.” Holy hell, we’ve come a long way from Gold Dust Woman and Gypsy. And I’d say Lindsey’s part at the end is probably the best part of the whole shambles.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
As far as WISYA, those incessant Whassamattababayyyys are definitely at the top of my list. But her voice throughout and the rest of the lyrics are also awful. “She walks slowly down the hall, there are many doors in the hallway…she stares at the stairs, oooh there are many things to stare at these days.” Holy hell, we’ve come a long way from Gold Dust Woman and Gypsy. And I’d say Lindsey’s part at the end is probably the best part of the whole shambles.
Well at least there is a dream left.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Shoot I thought that’s where Rooms on Fire came from!
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Rooms on Fire Greasy Mix lol!

That case of White Castle burgers also inspired Whole Lotta Trouble Extra Onions Remix, as well as the previously unreleased take of Show Them the Way (To the Ladies Room). And it also added new meaning to the classic Landslide!

Last edited by bwboy; 01-08-2023 at 06:24 PM..