The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't listened to Time for quite a while, I really like Time, but I don't like 'These strange times.' I think Bekka's song are great.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:29 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Just bumping this old one up, in case some people from the Rumours board might actually take the bait.

I guess I'm using both points (on 10/10 scale) and a ranking order here:

1. "Sooner Or Later" (right up there in darkness with "Oh Daddy" and "Behind The Mask") / "All Over Again" (should be the album closer!) 9,5/10 each.

3. "I Do" (Buckingham/Dashut-like quirkiness in the chorus) 9/10

4. "Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)" (maybe a bit too long) 8,5/10

5. "Nights In Estoril" (at least it has more details than "Temporary One") 8/10

6. "I Wonder Why" (love that riff underneath the verses) 7,5/10

7. "Dreamin' The Dream" (it's not too original in songwriting, but it's ear-candy all the same. The vocals are vulnerable.) 7/10

From here on it becomes pretty much mediocre for me:

8. "I Got It In For You" / "Nothing Without You" / "Talkin' To My Heart" / "Winds Of Change" (they're not bad, but they don't make any lasting impression on me.) 6/10

12. "Blow By Blow" (hookless and simplistic but still listenable) / "These Strange Times" (designed to look like the second coming of Christ. But if you get over the lyrics, it's actually interesting to listen to). 5/10

The songs on the album (that are not by Chris) represent the kind of AOR that I don't listen to. Yet I found that it's still good within its own genre. Tolerance and unbiased listening are the keys. So yes, I guess I do like the album, somewhat. Just don't tell those people at the Rumours board!

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 11-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In addition, I found Bekka's songs to be true highlights of this album.
Amen. I was really disappointed(at first) when I saw this tour, when I realized who all was NOT in the band. Bekka completely won me over. I think she could've made a whole new hit era for the band, IF she'd only been given the chance.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hollywood (SOKOT) 9
All Over Again (I cannot listen to this song anymore...I bawl like a baby...even more than I do during "Songbird". I once made the mistake of listening to it twice in a row one night and was in consolable) 8.5
Talkin' To My Heart 7
I Got It In For You 7
Sooner or Later 7
Nights In Estoril 7
Nothing Without You 7
I Do 6
Blow By Blow 4
I Wonder Why 2.5
Winds of Change 1
Dreamin' The Dream 0.5
These Strange Times 0
Old 11-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Ledgie

Time

1.Talkin' To My Heart- 7
2.Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)- 6
3.Blow By Blow- 1
4.Winds Of Change- 7
5.I Do- 6
6.Nothing Without You- 6
7.Dreamin' The Dream- 6
8.Sooner Or Later- 6
9.I Wonder Why- 6
10.Nights In Estoril- 7
11.I Got It In For You- 5
12.All Over Again- 6
13.These Strange Times- 4

Album as a Whole- 5.8
Old 11-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SmthngOfADreamr
Did she tour with them to promote the album? And did they just play all new material except for Christine's older songs (that is if she toured)?
As Michelle already replied, no, Christine didn't tour with them. In fact, the tour ENDED (they'd toured for the previous 18 months) before the album was released. (some sharp promotion/marketing THERE, eh?)

The set list only included TWO songs that would appear on Time (again, real sharp promotional skills there); "Blow By Blow" throughout MOST of the tour and "Dreaming The Dream" the last couple of months.

They played "Don't Stop", "Say You Love Me" & "You Make Loving Fun" of Christine's and "Gold Dust Woman" & "Dreams" of Stevie's...all sung by Bekka. As usual, they opened with "The Chain" & closed with "Go Your Own Way" (with Billy Burnette on vocals). Mick still did his "vest solo" during "World Turning". Bekka & Billy duetted on "Oh Well". The rest of the set was filled out with Dave Mason solo hits "Only You Know & I Know, "We Just Disagree", his version of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower", an old Traffic tune that Dave Mason had no involvement with, "Dear Mr Fantasy", Billy Burnette's solo semi-hit (and John McVie's favorite song) "The Bigger The Love" and Billy's dad's tune which he has covered twice "Tear It Up". Early in the tour, their final encore song was a torch-blues version of John Lennon's "Imagine" sung by Bekka. (a clip of which, I think is still on Bekka's own site)
Old 11-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
They played "Don't Stop", "Say You Love Me" & "You Make Loving Fun" of Christine's and "Gold Dust Woman" & "Dreams" of Stevie's...all sung by Bekka. As usual, they opened with "The Chain" & closed with "Go Your Own Way" (with Billy Burnette on vocals). Mick still did his "vest solo" during "World Turning". Bekka & Billy duetted on "Oh Well". The rest of the set was filled out with Dave Mason solo hits "Only You Know & I Know, "We Just Disagree", his version of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower", an old Traffic tune that Dave Mason had no involvement with, "Dear Mr Fantasy", Billy Burnette's solo semi-hit (and John McVie's favorite song) "The Bigger The Love" and Billy's dad's tune which he has covered twice "Tear It Up". Early in the tour, their final encore song was a torch-blues version of John Lennon's "Imagine" sung by Bekka. (a clip of which, I think is still on Bekka's own site)
I saw them in '94 & again in '95, both times at Konocti, but I didn't get to hear "Dreams" or "Imagine." Konocti must have missed out. Maybe it was the prime rib or the rice pilaf. Should I seek out MP3s of "Imagine"? I'm sure I could track it down. They should have done more material from Mick's 1983 solo album, like "Angel Come Home" or even "Tonight." The bass player in my band now sings just like George Hawkins!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I forgot to add my "Time" favorite:

1. These Strange Times (by a loooooooong shot)

I like the peppy, perky McVie material, also, as well as Bekka's "Dreaming the Dream," which is a tender ballad in which her naturally overwrought vocal style is toned waaaay down, & she winds up sounding a lot more convincing.

Dave's material on "Time" is not special, & his performances in Northern California were phoned in. He wasn't interested in being in Fleetwood Mac once he was in Fleetwood Mac. I know he asked Mick whether he could join, but his interest in joining must have been extremely short-lived.

Richard Dashut as producer is a godsend, especially compared with the previous producer, Greg Ladanyi, who apparently thinks that "The Bigger the Sludge, the Harder They Fall."
Old 11-26-2003, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
He wasn't interested in being in Fleetwood Mac once he was in Fleetwood Mac. I know he asked Mick whether he could join, but his interest in joining must have been extremely short-lived.
OK, I'm feeling lazy today, so I'm going to paste over an answer I made related to this on another Mac board recently as a lame excuse of an answer to this and to also chuck something else up in the air for thoughts on as I'd like to hear some other views on this. Thanks in advance. OK, here it is:

"You'd think he'd have enough money to put out his own CD's etc. and I guess he did kinda do this with some live recordings but I'm betting that all those covers of "Feelin' alright" that he musta gotten royalties from he probably spent in those wild 70's thinking the money would come in for ever more but of course, it dried up so he may not be as financially sound as we think he is. That's something about his involvement with "Time" that I never understood, he never seemed like a member (though he was), one really got the feeling that he was just doing the favor for Mick and once the tour and album were done then that would be it, he would've left anyways and I do admit that he doesn't strike me as a "team player" for a band (hence the problems he had with Winwood and co. in Traffic). However, I've read some bios on him that referred to his Mac stint as the "most high profile thing he'd done in the last 20 years". So if he was considered "better off" in FM, then why would he choose to go back to grinding out endless solo concerts for chump change? I mean, it's not like they were forcing him to "sound Macish when he was there (as Mick had done with Bekka, Billy & Rick). I guess none of this really matters now because Mick puckered up to BN after the "Time" project finished so the others wold've been kicked out to make room for those of more use to him and his wallet anyways but just something I had always wondered is all."

John
Old 12-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm one of those who will say: Umm I've never heard this album. Always thought about buying it just to complete my collection but even at bargain bin prices I still don't shell out for it. These reviews definately make me want to hear it more though. I'm sure to keep an audience they had to play some Mac classics but when I downloaded a clip of Bekka singing Gold Dust Woman I thought: Uggh , this version of FM had become their own worst version of a FM cover band. Some songs are just too strongly connected to their original performer to ever allow you to accept another persons version, good or not. I mean, I've seen a million bits about Stevie in the media where they say things like "Rock's Gold Dust Woman, Stevie Nicks..." . Without even having heard them, I bet this version of FM would've stood a better chance if they were a new band w/o the FM legacy hovering over them. Without any one of the 3 vocalists of the Rumours era on stage and performing songs by all 3 of them (and only 2 from the Time album?) they didn't stand a chance, JMO!
Ricoh
Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ricohv
Without even having heard them, I bet this version of FM would've stood a better chance if they were a new band w/o the FM legacy hovering over them.
I think you're quite right. That weight of having that background of Buckingham, Nicks, McVie, Green, etc... songs must have been an obstacle (esp. to Bekka and Billy) to develop their own style and make better aportations to Fleetwood Mac than the ones they were allowed to do. Fleetwood Mac didn't "let them be", as they said later.

Other than that, Time is quite a pleasant listening experience, although it's a little bit fragmented. I haven't found a solution to that problem (even re-sequencing it like ChiliD has suggested it many times before), I think the lack of participation of Christine in Bekka and Billy's songs an vice-versa, plus Dave Mason as a fourth vocalist, and Mick Fleetwood as a fifth one (how's that for an album... they didn't let John McVie sing )... it's sort of terribly fragmented to my tastes. But it has some great songs... my rating:

Sooner Or Later - 9
All Over Again - 9
Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town) - 8
Talkin' To My Heart - 8
I Do - 7.5
Dreamin' The Dream - 7
Nights In Estoril - 7
Blow By Blow - 7
I Wonder Why - 6
Winds Of Change - 5
Nothing Without You - 3
I Got It In For You - 2.5
These Strange Times - 1

And I think I was a good guy... more than half of the songs did pass the test!

Song of the moment - Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You
Old 12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I saw them in '94 & again in '95, both times at Konocti, but I didn't get to hear "Dreams" or "Imagine." Konocti must have missed out. Maybe it was the prime rib or the rice pilaf. Should I seek out MP3s of "Imagine"? I'm sure I could track it down. They should have done more material from Mick's 1983 solo album, like "Angel Come Home" or even "Tonight." The bass player in my band now sings just like George Hawkins!
Yeah, DEFINITELY "Angel Come Home"...plus, "I'm Not Me"...Billy could've even taken a vocal crack at "I Want You Back" or even Lindsey's "Oh Diane"!! Billy had already sang "Don't Let Me Down Again" on the '87/88 tour. Why didn't they keep "In The Back Of My Mind" in the set?? Or even added the Behind The Mask outtake of Billy's ("Victim Of Love")?? Or Billy & Rick's Cajun romp "When The Sun Goes Down"??

And, just look at the wealth of material that Billy had, that already SOUNDED "Mac-ish"...

What's A Little Love Between Friends
Are You Dreaming The Same Dream
In A Heartbeat
Don't Say No
Danger Zone
(NO, not the Kenny Loggins song from Top Gun)
Gone Again
Try Me
It Ain't Over
Brother To Brother
Let Your Heart Make Up Your Mind

Being a direct rockabilly decendant, in addition to "Tear It Up" that they WERE doing, they could've done "Honey Hush" which Fleetwood Mac had covered 22 years earlier on Kiln House (under the title "Hi Ho Silver") or even covering a couple of Jeremy's rockabilly parodies/covers would've been really cool...

Buddy's Song
Keep A-Knockin'
Mighty Cold

etc.

It's borderline CRIMINAL that they didn't allow Billy to really flourish as a member of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!

i don't own 'time' but i hear nothing but praise of bekka. lb and sn aren't on it so i'm still debating.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally posted by AgainLindsey
i hear nothing but praise of bekka.
In this forum alright!

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by AgainLindsey
lb and sn aren't on it so i'm still debating.

Has that prevented you from getting Fleetwood Mac albums from BEFORE they joined, too?