Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I can't

Time is one of the few albums I don't listen often. Hard to say but it is happening almost the same with Say you Will, I still don't "get" that album, I miss Chris a lot. To me it's like a mixing of 2 solo albums (LB & SN)

Time didn't fill my expetations, so I don't listen often
Old 12-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!

i like chris too but i think she may be ill.

she would have joined the band in london for at least one number.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: I can't

Quote:
Originally posted by Villavic
Time is one of the few albums I don't listen often. Hard to say but it is happening almost the same with Say you Will, I still don't "get" that album, I miss Chris a lot. To me it's like a mixing of 2 solo albums (LB & SN)
I've actually heard quite a few fans (and critics) say this. That 'Say You Will' sounds like two solo albums pieced together.

It's funny though, because I actually find 'SYW' to be far more cohesive than, say, 'Mirage' and 'Tusk.' Especially the latter.

Stevie's & Lindsey's (and Christine's) writing styles are so different, that I think there's always going to tend to be a bit of a fragmented feel to the albums.
Every album is truly going in three directions at once.

Apparently a lot of fans feel that the difference is all the more prominent now without Christine. She's considered to be the middle-ground between Stevie & Lindsey.

Oddly enough, I always felt Stevie was the middle-ground.
Her songs tend to be bittersweet, while Chris' are sweet, and Lindsey's are bitter (generally speaking).

So it must be another case of perception!

At any rate, Villavic... don't give up on 'Say You Will.' It just might grow on you.

If you're of the mind to, give this re-sequencing a try....
[list=1][*]What's The World Coming To[*]Say You Will[*]Bleed To Love Her[*]Thrown Down[*]Peacekeeper[*]Smile At You[*]Murrow Turning Over In His Grave[*]Illumé[*]Say Goodbye[*]Running Through The Garden[*]Miranda[*]Everybody Finds Out[*]Steal Your Heart Away[*]Silver Girl[*]Come[*]Destiny Rules[*]Red Rover[*]Goodbye Baby[/list=1]

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 12-13-2003 at 12:30 AM..
Old 12-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always felt that Chris' songs were what really represented the FM sound. YMLF, Hold Me, Think About It, Love Shines........for me, that's what it's always been about.
God, I miss her. Truly.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Re: Re: I can't

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
It's funny though, because I actually find 'SYW' to be far more cohesive than, say, 'Mirage' and 'Tusk.' Especially the latter.
For me it's always been the "schizophrenic diversity" of the band that appeals to me the most. I've never had any problems with any particular running order on a FM album, unlike you and ChiliD for example. I don't need a smooth, flowing order. But I guess that for many people it is necessary. In that case SYW does suffer from it, and so does Time.

And I think that there's two Christine-like tunes on SYW anyway, the title track and "Steal Your Heart Away". They might add to the diversity but I don't know if Stevie and Lindsey are entirely pleased with those.

Ok, off to another board for this.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by HomerMcvie
I've always felt that Chris' songs were what really represented the FM sound. YMLF, Hold Me, Think About It, Love Shines........for me, that's what it's always been about.
God, I miss her. Truly.
I agree with this to the extent that the Stevie-Lindsey back-up harmonies are an instantly recognizable part of the sound as well.

- Jake
Old 12-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Her songs tend to be bittersweet, while Chris' are sweet, and Lindsey's are bitter (generally speaking).
ITA.

- Jake
Old 12-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you're of the mind to, give this re-sequencing a try....
[list=1][*]What's The World Coming To[*]Say You Will[*]Bleed To Love Her[*]Thrown Down[*]Peacekeeper[*]Smile At You[*]Murrow Turning Over In His Grave[*]Illumé[*]Say Goodbye[*]Running Through The Garden[*]Miranda[*]Everybody Finds Out[*]Steal Your Heart Away[*]Silver Girl[*]Come[*]Destiny Rules[*]Red Rover[*]Goodbye Baby[/list=1]
Johnny Stew-- I must tell you that this is a brilliant resequence! You must have put a lot of thought into it. I listened to the album in this order and it flows so much better. Too bad you weren't there when the band was rehashing the song order. They certainly could have used an objective opinion. I think Stevie would approve!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've actually heard quite a few fans (and critics) say this. That 'Say You Will' sounds like two solo albums pieced together.

Stevie's & Lindsey's (and Christine's) writing styles are so different, that I think there's always going to tend to be a bit of a fragmented feel to the albums.
"Say You Will" sounds really disjointed to me, too, but not because of the supposed different writing styles. The three of them don't write songs all that differently: they're all pretty basic I-IV-V songwriters. I think the schizoid nature of the album is due to the unconnected sense you get of the ambience & sound. The album's lengthy, scattered, confused gestation shows, unfortunately. By contrast, "Tusk" & "Mirage" each took about a solid year in, for the most part, a single recording environment, & I think they both sound unified--like single projects, the way "Rumours" & "Fleetwood Mac" do. You never get the sense from them that you're listening to different configurations of people, or even different bands, at different points in time, which you do get from "Say You Will." The presence of so many people over the years with their grubby hands on the mixing board probably contributes to the problem.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: I can't

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
Johnny Stew-- I must tell you that this is a brilliant resequence! You must have put a lot of thought into it. I listened to the album in this order and it flows so much better. Too bad you weren't there when the band was rehashing the song order. They certainly could have used an objective opinion. I think Stevie would approve!
Thanks, PenguinHead, I'm glad you liked it!

Be sure to thank chiliD too... the running order of the first four tracks, and the "Smile At You"/"Murrow" coupling, were his ideas, and then I arranged the other tracks (almost obssessively, until I got it "just right").

So hopefully FM will hire both of us to sequence the next album!