The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Mirage: Side 1 or Side 2?
Side 1 14 73.68%
Side 2 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2021, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mirage: Side 1 or Side 2?

Side one
1. "Love in Store"
2. "Can't Go Back"
3. "That's Alright"
4. "Book of Love"
5. "Gypsy"
6. "Only Over You"

Side two
1. "Empire State"
2. "Straight Back"
3. "Hold Me"
4. "Oh Diane"
5. "Eyes of the World"
6. "Wish You Were Here"
Old 04-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like Tango, I have to pick the side that doesn't have the best song- Hold Me. Side one has great running order and flows to the wondrous Gypsy- second best song and a career high for Stevie. IMO Lindsey's best production on any of her songs including all of Rumours and Tusk. I like Lindsey's songs better on side one and Love in Store, while not Christine's best song, starts the album off just fine. That's Alright features one of the 3 stellar vocals from Stevie as well. She really knocks it out of the part vocally.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Side one for me. But, if you dropped Only Over You and replaced it with Hold Me, I'd be even more fore side one!
Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love them all, but side one is a knockout. Perfect sequencing of candy.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I would have to go with side one too. It pains me because Straight Back and Wish you were here and Hold me are on side 2. But side one is better overall IMHO
Old 04-20-2021, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can’t decide. Overall side one? But “Eyes” and “Hold Me” are essential to the success of the record. “Straight Back” is strong, and “Empire State” is so aggressively stupid I cannot not laugh and listen along. But I couldn’t imagine being without “Gypsy” or “Love in Store” either, so...no vote here.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Side one ..like Tango it kind of falls apart a bit on side two but not as badly. Those two Stevie songs should have never seen a major release.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Can't Go Back and Book of Love are the standout gems on the album. They're what makes side one the best. It flows perfectly because of them.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
For me, Can't Go Back and Book of Love are the standout gems on the album. They're what makes side one the best. It flows perfectly because of them.
I would surrender Book of Love and Diane for the cut Smile At You.

Straight back should have been the album opener or first track on side two. No way after Bella Donna stardom were they going to let that happen. Its funny because the song is actually about her having to return to Fleetwood Mac so quickly. "The dream is not over, the dream has just begun" IMHO sounds like her reality of having to shelve her successful solo career for a contract obligation with the Mac. But she did go "Straight Back" to the Mac. The song is also about breaking up with Jimmy. I love Mirage but it needed some rawness and some anger, and more rock. The album is very good but a few tweaks, it could have been sensational.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-20-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Old 04-21-2021, 07:38 AM

Never understood why Hold Me was put where it was, but I love side 2 because of it.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM
jbrownsjr
This message has been deleted by jbrownsjr. Reason: duplicate
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Never understood why Hold Me was put where it was, but I love side 2 because of it.
I think it was strategic. They knew it’d be a hit and its placement on side two therefore would familiarize casual (“hit”-based) fans with album tracks around it. How many people, beyond fans, would have even tried to listened, for example, to “Straight Back” if it were buried in the sequencing among other non-hits?

For the same reason the lovely opening to “Only Over You” is more widely known because it followed “Gypsy.” Whether one stayed tune or not...well, I can’t say. But they were aware of it unless they bolted to the tuning arm.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think it was strategic. They knew it’d be a hit and its placement on side two therefore would familiarize casual (“hit”-based) fans with album tracks around it. How many people, beyond fans, would have even tried to listened, for example, to “Straight Back” if it were buried in the sequencing among other non-hits?

For the same reason the lovely opening to “Only Over You” is more widely known because it followed “Gypsy.” Whether one stayed tune or not...well, I can’t say. But they were aware of it unless they bolted to the tuning arm.
I agree, maybe Judy Wong did the track list.

And I'm sick of Gypsy and not sick of Hold Me (which shows how they held up) I actually sometimes skip Gypsy when listening to Mirage. Great song, I'm just done with it.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-21-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love In Store is such a snoozer to open the album with. Sounds totally unfinished to me.. just too many spaces where there's just nothing going on. Too bare.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My dream Mirage track list would be (sorry I would scrap Oh Diane for Smile at You)

Straight Back
Cant Go Back
Love In Store
Gypsy
Eyes of the World
Only Over You

Hold Me
Empire State
Smile At You
Book of Love
Thats alright
Wish You Were Here
Old 04-21-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Love In Store is such a snoozer to open the album with. Sounds totally unfinished to me.. just too many spaces where there's just nothing going on. Too bare.
I think so too. It could be so much more. It needs a bridge.

I felt like they were trying to do a Second Hand News in the style of Everly Bros.