Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
right?

i completely forgot about it but stumbled upon it recently again reading one of the threads here on The Ledge, and just googled it to find it for you again (you are welcome! ) -
  • Lindsey Buckingham's Solo Anthology released on October 5, 2018 - peak US chart position #53 on Billboard 200
  • Fleetwood Mac's 50 Years – Don't Stop that November 16, 2018 - peak US chart position #65 on Billboard 200

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_A...sey_Buckingham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Yea...3_Don%27t_Stop
Considering there were already two multi-platinum Rumours-era retrospectives while that was Lindsey’s first and only solo retrospective and it was released when there was a lot of publicity and controversy over his firing while he and the band were on their respective tours, I would be surprised if that hadn’t been the case.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2021, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
right?

i completely forgot about it but stumbled upon it recently again reading one of the threads here on The Ledge, and just googled it to find it for you again (you are welcome! ) -
  • Lindsey Buckingham's Solo Anthology released on October 5, 2018 - peak US chart position #53 on Billboard 200
  • Fleetwood Mac's 50 Years – Don't Stop that November 16, 2018 - peak US chart position #65 on Billboard 200

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_A...sey_Buckingham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Yea...3_Don%27t_Stop
That Karma, $he's a bitch. Ain't $he?
Old 11-01-2021, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if they included the CDs that they gave away with tickets in those tallies?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2021, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

What were you thinking, elle? You also forgot to take into account the alignment of the celestial spheres. As everyone knows, solo compilations always chart better when Mercury is in retrograde.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is there really that big a difference between #53 and #65 in terms of sales? I mean, one album may have peaked higher, but how long were they both in the top 200? Because that is the true measure of sales. Complicating matters, both albums had multiple cds- Solo Anthology came with either one or two discs, while 50 Years came with either one or three discs, so that has to be taken into account. Not to mention that people who bought a concert ticket to Lindsey’s tour automatically got a free cd- did that count toward sales? I doubt it, but this is a funny topic- the Fleetwood Mac album had Lindsey Buckingham songs on it, so I presume he got some money from the release, just like the other members. And considering FM had already released 3 compilations- Greatest Hits, the Chain, and the Very Best- I’m surprised 50 Years charted at all. So trying to determine which compilation sold better is difficult, for all the factors mentioned. Even though I got a free copy of Lindsey’s one disc, I decided to buy the two disc version also. I wanted to show my support and have the live cd as well. I thought sending the cd free to people who bought a concert ticket was genius and generous, and I wish more musicians would do that.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Pretty crazy they couldn't get 1 new song on the 50 Years compilation.
They could even have included a couple of live songs from their tour. That package was a rush job: the mixes were inferior to those on the album deluxe sets and even to The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac (glorious mixes, those). I never even bought it. I spot-picked some of it on Spotify and knew right away it was junk.

Quote:
What a mess FM is.
Oh, yes. But they’re our mess.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They could even have included a couple of live songs from their tour. That package was a rush job: the mixes were inferior to those on the album deluxe sets and even to The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac (glorious mixes, those). I never even bought it. I spot-picked some of it on Spotify and knew right away it was junk.

Oh, yes. But they’re our mess.
I love the mixes of Very Best!! I used to have that in heavy rotation for my car CD deck.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
What were you thinking, elle? You also forgot to take into account the alignment of the celestial spheres. As everyone knows, solo compilations always chart better when Mercury is in retrograde.
right??

btw that 2018 Fleetwood Mac compilation was nominally what was supported by what their new manager labeled as supposedly their most lucrative tour ever (i.e., fans were shamelessly charged the most exorbitantly expensive prices of any FM tour so far).

my original point (which got lost in all the unnecessary back and forth) was that if Lindsey could do well with his 3 CD / 5 record box set, so can Christine, as long as she has the record company behind her.

(and yes, Lindsey made money from both compilations, as well as from both LB and FM tours. but unlike some, i am not really interested in how much money these multimillionaire rockers make, i'm more interested in how much we as fans have to pay and what we get for our money.)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
btw that 2018 Fleetwood Mac compilation was nominally what was supported by what their new manager labeled as supposedly their most lucrative tour ever.
Which is why they never mentioned it

Quote:
(but unlike some, i am not really interested in how much money these multimillionaire rockers make)
You literally said “ LB's solo compilation sales at the time way outsold FM compilation sales that came out at the same time.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Pretty crazy they couldn't get 1 new song on the 50 Years compilation. The Stones had 2 on their 50 year comp. (Even more on their 40 year comp). The Who had 1 on theirs. Beach Boys.

Azoff's Journey even rerecorded Journey hits for an album in 2008.

What a mess FM is.
It’s not Mac proper but there is that other CM/LB song that wasn’t used on the record, the one Christine had “high hopes for.”
Old 11-01-2021, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It’s not Mac proper but there is that other CM/LB song that wasn’t used on the record, the one Christine had “high hopes for.”
I’m sure Neil and Mike have all kinds of leftovers that could have been recorded quickly, too. I don’t know how serious he was, but Neil said in a recent interview that he’s sitting on like ten albums worth of songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2021, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m sure Neil and Mike have all kinds of leftovers that could have been recorded quickly, too. I don’t know how serious he was, but Neil said in a recent interview that he’s sitting on like ten albums worth of songs.
That’s probably true. Personally, I am not terribly interested in what either of those (very good) musicians have to offer in a Fleetwood Mac context, but they are technically part of the fold now, I guess...
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That’s probably true. Personally, I am not terribly interested in what either of those (very good) musicians have to offer in a Fleetwood Mac context, but they are technically part of the fold now, I guess...
Listening to Mike Campbell sing is about the same as Stevie. (Nails on a chalkboard.) I did love his guitar work, but even Oh Well wasn't pleasant listening to him attempt, "Can't help it bout the shape I'm in...."

Neil Finn's tune with Goat and Christine was a great tune. Neil can sing. The harmonies of Neil/Goat/Christine worked in the song, "Find Your Way Back Home".

But yea, as far as a FM album with Mike and Neil. Ehhhhh

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-02-2021 at 08:40 AM..
Old 11-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

every single musician in FM can have tons and tons of songs to offer. if we learned nothing else from the last 10+ years, that matters next to nothing. SN will put a stop to any and all of it.

people used to think it's because she has a problem with Lindsey. well it's been over 3 years now with no Lindsey "hurdle" and the band still has no new music to offer. Lindsey excuse is now gone. no productive musicians in the band (obviously bs in the first place, with Lindsey and Christine in the band) excuse is gone.

where the problem with no new FM music is coming from should be finally clear now to anyone who was still wondering.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-02-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
every single musician in FM can have tons and tons of songs to offer. if we learned nothing else from the last 10+ years, that matters next to nothing. SN will put a stop to any and all of it.

people used to think it's because she has a problem with Lindsey. well it's been over 3 years now with no Lindsey "hurdle" and the band still has no new music to offer. Lindsey excuse is now gone. no productive musicians in the band (obviously bs in the first place, with Lindsey and Christine in the band) excuse is gone.

where the problem with no new FM music is coming from should be finally clear now to anyone who was still wondering.
And the new song she did write was atrocious. The lyrics were embarrassing on so many levels. And in my opinion, it's a peek at just how much of a loon she is. But hey, I'm glad MLK wanted her to perform for her. That really struck my muse like no other. Was it 1960 or 1963?