The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham blames “disoriented” Stevie Nicks for the lack of new Fleetwood Mac music

By Paul Brannigan ( Classic Rock ) 12/6/21

Lindsey Buckingham says the fact that Fleetwood Mac haven’t released a new album since 2003 “wasn’t for lack of trying”

Lindsey Buckingham blames Stevie Nicks for the lack of new music from Fleetwood Mac, telling Classic Rock magazine that the fact that the legendary rock band haven’t released a studio album since 2003‘s Say You Will “wasn’t for lack of trying.”

Buckingham, who released a self-titled solo album earlier this year, was fired from Fleetwood Mac in 2018, and claimed earlier this year that Nicks was the catalyst for that decision: speaking with the LA Times, the guitarist said that Nicks issued a ‘him or me’ ultimatum to the band, in a bid to assert more control over the group, an accusation Nicks has denied.

Now, in a new interview running in the new issue of Classic Rock magazine, on sale on December 7, Buckingham suggests that his former partner’s reticence to get involved in the writing and recording of new Fleetwood Mac material is the reason there’s been no new album from the band in 18 years.

Buckingham claims that work had actually begun on a new Fleetwood Mac album back in 2012.

“I had a bunch of songs, and Mick [Fleetwood] and John [McVie] and I went in with the producer Mitchell Froom and cut a bunch of stuff,” he tells Classic Rock. “This was before Christine [McVie] returned to the band in 2014. We very much wanted to draw Stevie in, and for some reason she refused to participate.”

Buckingham claims that Nicks, “has sort of gotten a little bit disoriented in her wanting to pursue Stevie Nicks in capital letters, if you will.”

“I think she kind of lost track of her writing a little bit,” he says, “and maybe didn’t think she had anything she felt she could offer, and so did not want to be a part of it.”

“That effort to engage her was revamped again when Christine returned,” Buckingham says, “because it was like, ‘well, Christine’s back, maybe now Stevie will want to do this.’ Christine had a bunch of song ideas and I helped her with those, and we eventually went in the studio and cut those. And we were still hoping to make that a Fleetwood Mac album, and Stevie wouldn’t do it. That became the duet album that Christine and I did [2017’s Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie]. So it wasn’t for lack of trying.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Buckingham suggests that he’s open to the idea of another reunion with the band.

“Who knows, maybe we’ll manage to see clear to have one more nice run out there,” he says. “That would be the proper way to go.”
https://www.loudersound.com/news/lin...LtEDrrJRcZXfMI
Old 12-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

nothing new, only confirming facts we knew.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2021, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

WHY would he want to go back to that?

It's OVER. Let it go.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:41 AM

OMG!! Goat is the reason they don't have new music?? Holy wow!!
Old 12-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Lets psycho analyze (again)

Hmmmm. Why would Stevie after all her solo albums and going back and forth the the Mac after solo work suddenly want to pursue Stevie Nicks (in capital letters).

We dont have to be Sherlock or Watson to figure this out. Chris came back and was making music with Lindsey. She tried to torpedo the effort which did not work. They worked without her and her jealousy was more than she could do. Buck/Vie walked away from her and worked without her. She could not contain her jealous rage and demanded Lindsey be fired.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY would he want to go back to that?

It's OVER. Let it go.
I totally agree. But I wonder, if he's really serious about this: "Buckingham suggests that he’s open to the idea of another reunion with the band," doesn't he consider he might be shooting himself in the foot?
I think they have ALL lived in such an insular vacuum of money and fame that they really don't know how to just be normal people.
Maybe they should all be reduced to be cleaning ladies to bring themselves back down to earth.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't they try to do an album in 2008? But Stevie said let's do a tour of what people want to hear called Unleashed: Hits. (Say You Love Me, Stand Back, Rhiannon, etc)

Lindsey had wanted to tour GOS more in 08.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey leaves out another possible explanation for why Stevie wouldn’t record a new album with FM- she doesn’t want to work with him again in the studio. But I can see why he wouldn’t want to mention that possibility.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Lindsey leaves out another possible explanation for why Stevie wouldn’t record a new album with FM- she doesn’t want to work with him again in the studio. But I can see why he wouldn’t want to mention that possibility.
Christine worked with Lindsey in the studio in 2014 and 2016 and even went on a Summer/Fall tour with him.

Why didn't Stevie record with the 2018 Mac? They had from February 2018 to October to make new music. Or during breaks of the tour or from November 2019 until lockdown in March of 2020.

That speaks more to me than not working with Lindsey. And even if it is not wanting to work with him, how does it make it right when you're a member of a band. Madam I'm Not the Boss I guess.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Christine worked with Lindsey in the studio in 2014 and 2016 and even went on a Summer/Fall tour with him.

Why didn't Stevie record with the 2018 Mac? They had from February 2018 to October to make new music. Or during breaks of the tour or from November 2019 until lockdown in March of 2020.

That speaks more to me than not working with Lindsey. And even if it is not wanting to work with him, how does it make it right when you're a member of a band. Madam I'm Not the Boss I guess.
Bingo!!!!
Old 12-06-2021, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

right. excuse of not wanting to work specifically with Lindsey is thoroughly dead and buried now.

FM had 3 years without Lindsey now, and other songwriters all said they'd be happy to record together. in addition, most of them had a year and a half of sitting at home and doing nothing. they could have recorded more than one album sending music back and forth during that time.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now I'm wondering if she wanted him fired because maybe he told her she's not creative anymore.

She used to be The Bomb but man she has become like The Eagles. Trying to sell the past. I bet she'll do a Bella Donna album performance tour followed by an intermission then a set of hits.

I'm so happy for Journey. They broke from Azoff and they're doing new music and an arena tour.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if she wanted him fired because maybe he told her she's not creative anymore.

She used to be The Bomb but man she has become like The Eagles. Trying to sell the past. I bet she'll do a Bella Donna album performance tour followed by an intermission then a set of hits.

I'm so happy for Journey. They broke from Azoff and they're doing new music and an arena tour.
She's tired. And her voice isn't pleasing in the least. Good for Journey!!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She's tired. And her voice isn't pleasing in the least. Good for Journey!!
Azoff was the problem for Journey. Azoff has you tour every year doing the same shtick.

Journey is a great concert. They did Lollapalooza and NYC Homecoming festivals this year. Azoff never got them booked for gigs that big.

And they don't need to join Harry Styles at the hip in order to feed their families either.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes I know Christine worked with Lindsey on the Buck/Vie album and they toured together. I don’t see how that how dismisses the idea that Stevie doesn’t want to work with Lindsey in the studio anymore. I thought it was pretty obvious that Stevie wasn’t really happy with Say You Will, either the recording of it or the end result, for whatever reason. It took forever to convince her to do the 4 song EP, and I think she’s only on 2 of those songs. I have no idea what her problem with Lindsey in the studio is, I mean the SYW documentary cast him in a very good light, in my opinion. But something clearly happened there that turned Stevie off with wanting to record with Lindsey again.