Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up 2011 - spectacular year for Lindsey-related happenings

i was thinking about this last few days while reading some of my friends' best of 2011 on FB and twitter... also, nickslive has a nice "a year in review" post on his blog (http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2011/1...ac-stevie.html). and today i noticed 2011 reflections thread in SN forum that i enjoyed skimming through. so i feel the need to express here some of the amazingness that happened in 2011 lindsey-wise - b/c it's been a dream year for various LB releases and happenings.

i plan to write up some musings on the events that i was extremely lucky to participate in a bit later, but i want to start with some cut-and-dry facts listed in my tweet from yesterday:

@ellellew
In 2011 Lindsey Buckingham gave us Seeds We Sow, Songs from the Small Machine - Live in LA and a 3-month tour - a spectacular year!! <3
31 Dec
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saban show, april 22:

april 13th - note appeared on LB's newly changed website about the april 22 event in LA announcing intimate concert that will be filmed for a DVD.
Lindsfan reacted fast "there's gotta be a way to swing this!" - i thought that was great and told her i'm going to live vicariously through her and Pattie's experience b/c there's no way i can fly out to the west coast on a good friday and be back sat early enough to color the eggs with my kids...
but - figured i should buy the ticket anyway - just in case.
in talking to both Lindsfan and Pattie and looking through the available flights, it became more and more clear that it might be possible to do it - i was taking good friday off work anyway, and i could find a way to fly out to LA friday morning, go to the show, and fly red-eye back the same night - be at home sat morning ready for baking the ham and coloring eggs with the family

yeah, LB was promising a new album and a tour later in the year - but you never know, things can happen - had to see him when the chance opened up!!

SNL appearance on may 14:

tweets started on may 13 - real LB was seen entering 30 rock! after his SNL appearance lindsey forum here had the most visitors ever (i think) and LB was trending worldwide on twitter - all extremely positive tweets

SWS [song] free DL:

hmmmm... it was good idea to offer a free DL, but that reverbed/sped up voice... um, no!! but others liked it...

IOOT radio single release in aug:

still sped up/high voice... but the song sounded spectacular - the arrangement, production, multiple melodies, guitars - oh yeah!!

SWS release - DL sept 5 (was it sept 2 in most of EU? i know it was before the weekend), CD sept 6:

big party from midnight (well 1am EST) on sept 5 throughout the day, 2 bonus songs (SWS electric, oh yeah!) and finally receiving physical CD on the 6th.

Conan appearance w/ IOOT and full band - plus multiple interviews in all kinds of media throughout the summer and sept/oct...

SWS tour (start sept 10):

i had plans to go to 3 shows - westhampton beach in NY, ridgefield in CT, and Baltimore (as close as it came to my "home" show).
i also went to jacksonville, FL.
and red bank, NJ.

and...

conversation with LB at 92Y in NYC, Nov 4:

this popped up out of nowhere and was not advertised. but... it was on friday, i already had a ticket to red bank show on nov 3 and was considering whether to go. and it was $29!?!?!? how can one not go?

well - it was not the expected small machine/big machine talk - it was relaxed, and funny, and warm! and he did RAB live!! and, there was unexpected CD signing!! i don't think there was a person there who was not gushing over how warm and nice and sweet LB was - amazing event and amazing evening for everybody who was there!! (meeting and talking to LB - wow!! so warm and - normal?! - and touchy-feely guy! and, i got a hug!)

songs from the small machine live in LA - DVD/CD and blu-ray - nov 1:

this was shown on palladia multiple times, last time on 12/24 (and there will be a couple of screenings in jan 2012). 12/24 seemed to have been a particularly good programming decision b/c people were staying in that night and tons of people seem to have seen the show - since then LB forum here has been frequented by tons of guests multiple times each day.

what else? my friend Steve from the UK saw almost 50 different concerts in 2011. 3 LB gigs he saw in the US are his #1, #2, and #4 of the year. he met tons of artists/celebrities (i.e., people who are celebrities b/c they are actually great at what they do), and meeting LB was #1 (although shared with somebody else that he has a huge crush on !). meeting Mr Tuggle was his #5. he also had tix for 8 out of 9 LB gigs in UK/Ireland...

and when i say "my friend" - well, there's a power of social media and love for LB's music: we met on twitter around the time LB first announced his upcoming tour. he was one of the amazing people i had a pleasure of meeting last year b/c of these shows... (in the order of appearance) Lindsfan, Pattie, Steve, Sahara, Amlyn, London&Bruce, Maria, Jackie, Alex, DavidMN, Christy, Mimi, Abbi, mezzoforte, HejiraNYC... i know i'm forgetting many . and several became really good friends. some others i have yet to meet but have been talking a lot online... so - hoping we'll have a chance to meet [again]! (2012? wouldn't it be nice if LB gives us some more opportunities soon... )

Last edited by elle; 01-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: bad grammar...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that you are getting all this together, Elle. Such great memories from a really mind-blowing year for Lindsey

I noticed a lot of tweets yesterday, too, about what an awful year 2011 was, just in general. But, all I could think was what a dream year it was for me, as a LB fan. Really, it was a year I never could have imagined. I remember back in early April, Elle telling me to check Lindsey's website ( yeah, right, like anything ever happens there ). I couldn't believe what I saw when I did. There was the announcement for the Saban show!! But it was comimg up in less than two weeks!!! I'm a normal working stiff, so I figured I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of going - even though ever since reading Michelle's posts re. Lindsey's Soundstage taping years ago, I had made a promise to myself that if he ever taped another concert, I was going. Period. No matter what. So, I bought a ticket

But this was to be on Easter weekend, and I have a young son. And I work on Fridays and would normally need more than a week and a half's notice to take time off. Then it dawned on me that it was Good Friday and we get that day off for Easter every year...I couldn't believe that getting out of work was no longer an issue

So I decided to check airlines and see what was available...just for kicks. OMG there were flights available and for a reasonable amount! I checked hotels on Expedia and had similar good luck. Elle said she would go if I committed. Really??!! SWEET

Next, I checked with Pattie for hotel advice and we had the same hotel in mind. This was all too good to be true. But wait. I hadn't yet mentioned to my husband that I wanted to fly solo down to L.A. to meet two ladies I only knew online...to see a concert...on Easter weekend...and then fly back the next morning...in time for my son's baseball game. And all for under $1000!! This was crazy!!! What were we thinking!! So, I told Elle I found flights and a hotel, and yes, I would book mine if she was sure she was good to go ( she had a bigger trip to plan, coming all the way across the country ). She said she was

I remember we were both a little anxious about telling our husbands - lol. But like most things that i think will not go well, it went a lot better than I thought it would. he didn't even bat an eye! No grief at all! So, I proceeded with plans and went down to L.A. a week and a half later. Flew in in the morning. Met Elle and Pattie at LAX. Taxid to our hotel and went to the most amazing concert that night.

In the weeks just proceeding and just after that concert, work was pretty stressful, and it was hard to get in a good frame of mind getting up in the morning, but then, I'd remind myself I was going to see Lindsey in about a week ( or that I'd just seen him a week ago... ) and I'd start smiling and thinking how great life was right now! It's been like that ever since. Whenever I was having a bad day or week this last year, I'd put on Seeds We Sow, or the live rips from the Saban concert ( and later, the Small Machine CD ) and I felt so much better. I even looked forward to driving to work each morning because his CDs were in the car.

2011 was special. Elle's tweet was so right. We got a new album. A new concert DVD. A tour. And some of you even got to see him interviewd - and were awesome enough to tape it!!!!!! So now we have a live Rock Away Blind, and some really great candid moments that I, for one, will treasure

Add to that all the really positive reviews Lindsey keeps getting - for his album, and for his shows - which has to make him feel so good too...which of course, makes me happy
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

SNL appearance on may 14:

tweets started on may 13 - real LB was seen entering 30 rock! after his SNL appearance lindsey forum here had the most visitors ever (i think) and LB was trending worldwide on twitter - all extremely positive tweets

conversation with LB at 92Y in NYC, Nov 4:

this popped up out of nowhere and was not advertised. but... it was on friday, i already had a ticket to red bank show on nov 3 and was considering whether to go. and it was $29!?!?!? how can one not go?

well - it was not the expected small machine/big machine talk - it was relaxed, and funny, and warm! and he did RAB live!! and, there was unexpected CD signing!! i don't think there was a person there who was not gushing over how warm and nice and sweet LB was - amazing event and amazing evening for everybody who was there!! (meeting and talking to LB - wow!! so warm and - normal?! - and touchy-feely guy! and, i got a hug!)

and when i say "my friend" - well, there's a power of social media and love for LB's music: we met on twitter around the time LB first announced his upcoming tour. he was one of the amazing people i had a pleasure of meeting last year b/c of these shows... (in the order of appearance) Lindsfan, Pattie, Steve, Sahara, Amlyn, London&Bruce, Maria, Jackie, Alex, DavidMN, Christy, Mimi, Abbi, mezzoforte, HejiraNYC... i know i'm forgetting many . and several became really good friends. some others i have yet to meet but have been talking a lot online... so - hoping we'll have a chance to meet [again]! (2012? wouldn't it be nice if LB gives us some more opportunities soon... )
I remember that SNL thing so well and waiting for him to trend again on west coast time. He didn't...the cat was already out of the bag, I guess, but it was still so cool. And seeing the tweets leading up to it was great - wondering if he was really going to be on or not. Just so special that we, his fans, could experience that together on Twitter, and here!

The 92Y thing. God. No words. I wasn't even there, and I still am so floored by the whole thing. THANK YOU again, Mezzoforte and HejiraNYC

And yes, the power is very strong in both Beautiful, isn't it?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great thread, Elle!!

So, a few LB highlights for me this year:

-Lindsey performing "Soldier's Angel" with Stevie at the Wiltern show for her birthday!!! It was genuine Buckingham Nicks together again! Such an amazing, emotional performance.

-Seeing LB solo live for the second time in Atlanta!!! The crowd wasn't great (Ledgies excluded!) but the acoustics were amazing. Key performance of this night was ISA - totally mesmerized by this up close!

-Loved the SNL apearance! Seeing Lindsey on this platform was refreshing.

-Hearing Lindsey echo Stevie's sentiments about Buckingham Nicks possibilities in the future was a sweet treat.

-The "In My Room" video by SPIN magazine was another unique surprise - funny, revealing and insightful. One of my all time favorite Lindsey moments.

-Getting word about Lindsey's photoshoot and concert/documentary via Twitter and facebook updates was so exciting.

-The reveal of LB's new website probably falls into both the Most Appreciated Update and Most Under Utilized Promotion categories...

-Bonus tracks for SWS - I can't imagine the project without them.

-Last but not least - getting the opportunity to hear several new tracks from SWS from the fan videos at the Saban showcase and translating the decipherable lyrics. A privilege. And, it really helped create more excitement for the finished product for me - which ranks at the top of my all time favorite LB projects.

Here's to 2012!

Last edited by CADreaming; 01-01-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG, this thread is amazing. I want to sort of reflect a bit on all the beautiful and incredible LB we got this year, but most of all I have to just bring up the album...I am still in love with that freaking album!

I remember listening to it through the first time and I realized it was my kind of album. It was exactly what I wanted from Lindsey, and he blew me away as he always does. I was able to convert several of my friends into liking LB a LOT more than they ever did through this album. Plus my lovely little aunt from Venezuela was able to see two LB shows. And she is now a total LB fangirl. Her husband passed away earlier in the year, and after being married to him for so many years it was a great loss. So she needed this kind of uplifting, and her little nickname for Lindsey- flaco (which means skinny)- is so cute. I love that I was able to introduce LB to my aunt in 2011.

Obviously, I can not ever say enough about his live shows. He is incredible beyond words. I hope we have a chance to see him in 2012 and I really hope it works out for EVERY ONE.

And of course I want to give a shout out to all the amazing Ledgies I got to know better this year through our mutual excitement and joy over LB. It has been a thrill and I hope it just keeps getting better!!!

Thank you elle for all the updates! I adore having this Lindsey niche in cyberspace because it never gets boring.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Hahaha! Nico! "Flaco"!

Such a cute story about your aunt.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^Hahaha! Nico! "Flaco"!

Such a cute story about your aunt.
I know. She's really cute. I got her tickets and she had better seats than me, but she never rushed the stage because she doesn't like that. But I was watching her and she was so captivated by Lindsey's playing- especially the songs she loves on SWS: IOOT, EOT, TTWLG, etc.

Great memories. Awesome tour.

He just gets better and better and, yes, like CAD said "Here's to 2012!"

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This all is pretty impressive. Still, I can't really jump for joy because of the cancellations of my concerts and the loss of some money with that ( although that is not what's really bugging me). I soooo wanted to see him live-solo for the first time ever in Europe....

Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I really do wish I could contribute thoughts on live shows I've had the luxury to see in 2011. But alas, I've never had that luxury. I'm thrilled for all those who have. Thankfully, I've at least had the luxury of enjoying a brand new album that was fresh and a wonderful departure from the slightly low key and slow offerings of Gift Of Screws and Under The Skin. I remember getting this album through the post after pre-ordering it and immediately skipping off to my room to listen. Each song thrilled me and I'm not ashamed to say that a few had me dancing around my room like a Monkey. It was a far cry from previous work, but I am tempted to agree with him when he says its some of his best work thus far. Granted, at its release it was already a little outdated in terms of sound, but it was stunning in its simple, unabashed expression of feeling. Some may accuse it of being overworked, but feelings and passion are. That's what's always pulled me towards his music. That his music was always a reflection of his heart. There are so many musicians out there whose music hardly reflects them as people who have lived the lives they share with their audience. But Lindsey has always had a talent in openness.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Grove of Anaheim 17th October 2011 - this will stay with me forever! It was so worth that 5000+ miles flight and astronomical expense!

Getting to touch him, and getting liberally showered with his sweat - rain from heaven!

And Seeds We Sow is just the BEST album in the world EVER - it is too beautiful and fabulous for words!

But, oh, the brokenheartedness of the cancelled UK Meet & Greets and Shows - just won't go away!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post

Getting to touch him, and getting liberally showered with his sweat - rain from heaven!

But, oh, the brokenheartedness of the cancelled UK Meet & Greets and Shows - just won't go away!
Haha - rain from heaven indeed. And no, the brokenheartedness hasn't gone for me either. But maybe us UK fans will be pleasantly surprised in 2012 (my new years resolution - must think positive!)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me the highlight was the Saban theater and hearing all of those songs for the first time. And, though I was certainly biased, they seemed so flawless live, not like something he hadn't done before. Already an inexorable part of his catalog. In Our Own Time immediately sounded like as much a part of him as Go Insane was.

And then the Youtube postings which captured it all, giving me the chance to relive it, love some songs more, reassess others ahead of the album.

Those were giddy times.

Michele
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I know it was only a performance (no chatting) and it was only "End Of Time" (), but I still have to say the Jimmy Fallon appearance, if only because that was the closest I'd ever been to LB (until the 92Y).

Of course the 92Y as well, I actually got to meet the man (never mind that I probably made an idiot of myself) and got my CD autographed!

NYC 9/27/11. Great show, even if a lot of the audience was glued to their seats.

And the Amazon SWS release (electric SWS!) and "Sleeping Around The Corner" on iTunes.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
For me the highlight was the Saban theater and hearing all of those songs for the first time. And, though I was certainly biased, they seemed so flawless live, not like something he hadn't done before. Already an inexorable part of his catalog. In Our Own Time immediately sounded like as much a part of him as Go Insane was.

And then the Youtube postings which captured it all, giving me the chance to relive it, love some songs more, reassess others ahead of the album.

Those were giddy times.

Michele
Hearing all the new songs, the first time he ever played them live, was truly something special. IOOT was the first one he did, and when it began, I was thinking, "cool...quirky...totally Lindsey" Elle and I were both smiling from the get go on this song. But then, when he got to the chorus...BAM!!! Wow, I did not see that coming It got even better!!! I think most everyone there felt the same way. Would be an understaement to say it was well received