Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's 10 lost gems

They have a string of hits....maybe not as many as they should have.
Along the way there have been some greats that have been buried away on B sides, compilation albums or even unreleased.
For me these are the 10 great (largely) unheralded lost gems....

1) I loved Another Woman
A superb blues number. I've got a feeling this might be an almost direct rip off of another, earlier blues tune. Whatever.... its just great. Black Magic Woman is always seen as Peter's greatest creation...but this too is blues perfection.
Never appeared on one of the original LP's.

2) Like it This Way
Buried away on Blues Jam at Chess/Boston Live. Perhaps Danny's finest moment. Should have been a hit single (selected this just ahead of what I think of as its companion piece, Only You)

3) The Purple Dancer
Unfortunate to be released as the B side to Dragonfly. Probably deserved to be an A side. TPD is awesome....has a truly epic feel to it. Love it!

4) Sentimental Lady
Sentimental Lady later received some love as a BW solo release. For me the original Fleetwood Mac version was better. Whichever, it deserves to be considered an all time great. This should have been the big break-through hit for the BW incarnation of the band. Why it wasnt a hit...who knows...I guess sometimes it just comes down to a bit of luck, or lack of it.

5) Why
For many Fleetwood Mac fans, this is the ultimate fan fave. Never released as a single. Maybe the original intro was too long for radio. Perhaps my favourite FM song of the lot. I like what Stevie and Lindsey did....but you can never beat the original with Weston's sublime playing. Why doesnt this get covered by other famous artists?....Why?

6) Silver Springs
Such a shame. If there had been some way for it to have appeared on the original Rumours release, it would now be considered a standard. As it is, its still a relatively obscure track outside of the Fleetwood Mac world.

7) As Long As You Follow
Should have been a hit. Why wasnt it? Perhaps Rick and Billy's finest moment in Fleetwood Mac (but on a Chris song). Really brilliant video. Had it appeared on a hit album other than a compilation I'm sure it would be a famous song. But coming from a Greatest Hits release, it just never quite got traction at the time of its release. Such a shame.

8) Bleed To Love Her
Lindsey has had relatively few hits. If this had been recorded in the early days it would have been a hit record. If they had released this to support The Dance, maybe it would have been a hit. I consider it one of his finest works with the band.

9) Sad Angel
What a waste of a killer tune. I love this song. Really doesn't deserve to be buried on an obscure EP that nobody ever heard. Shame.

10) Carnival Begin
Chris has written so many great songs. This deserves to be considered amongst Fleetwood Mac's finest songs. Probably the stand out track on Buckingham/McVie. Had it been on an official Fleetwood Mac release I have no doubt it would now have massive widespread recognition.

So there you go. What am I missing? Anything you'd swap out?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 01-29-2022 at 03:57 PM..
Old 01-29-2022, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wow this is an explosive question for this band since some of their best work are the songs that are not hits.

I always thought Come A Little Bit Closer should have been re-recorded with the harmonies of Stevie and Lindsey and have Lindsey work it up. So that song has always been a song I love for what it is but it could have been a huge hit IMHO if re-recorded post Welch.

Sugar Daddy - Its so bluesy and could have appeared on Heroes or Mystery To me.

Brown Eyes - one of the best songs on Tusk that reminds me of a romantic themed dark restaurant playing

That's Alright - its a polished and harmonized Buckingham Nicks classic that sounds so good on Mirage. Its almost a full country song.

Never Forget - It sometimes gets forgotten as Tusk's closer but its a hidden gem

Warm Ways - so many hate it on this board. I used to hear it on Sirus Bridge all the time. Its so romantic even for Chris and the harmonies are so good. Lindsey plays great acoustic guitar on it too. Actually first single of the Buck/Nicks Fleetwood Mac - released before Over My Head in England

Why - Why has to go on every list

Silver Heels - One of Bob's best Mac tunes

Station Man - Its everything early Fleetwood Mac IMHO

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-29-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-29-2022, 05:23 PM

I love both of your lists!! Sentimental Lady is wonderful.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Crystal- Stevie’s ethereal lyrics and Lindsey’s masculine voice make an intriguing combination. Beautiful.

Warm Ways- a beautiful, soothing song.

Blue Letter- another example that shows how great this incarnation of the band could perform other people’s songs just as well as their own material.

I Don’t Want to Know- the harmonies are spot on here. The only song that hasn’t been performed to death and yet everyone knows it because it’s on Rumours.

Brown Eyes- when Christine goes dark, she goes really deep and really dark.

Book of Love- every time I hear this song, I want to hug Lindsey and tell him it’ll all be ok! Love it when he shows his vulnerability.

As Long As You Follow- beautiful harmonies, Rick Vito’s guitar playing, oh and did I mention those harmonies? I love that Christine wrote a thank you note with this song to the fans.

Save Me- I guess radio had changed too much to fully embrace this song, but it is a strong song with beautiful harmonies and again, Rick’s hard driving guitar. Christine sounded so confident on this song and the BTM album in general.

Love Shines- if the incarnation of FM that recorded this song as well as Heart of Stone (Mick, John, Christine, and Billy) had continued on, I would have believed the band still had vitality. Unfortunately, they chose another direction with Bekka and Dave.

Thrown Down- the first Stevie song since 1989 that blew me away. Just love this song.

Carnival Begin- or as I call it, Brown Eyes Part II. Dark and mysterious, and so damn haunting.

Oops, I didn’t realize I had 11. Oh well.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
They have a string of hits....maybe not as many as they should have.

7) As Long As You Follow
Should have been a hit. Why wasnt it? Perhaps Rick and Billy's finest moment in Fleetwood Mac (but on a Chris song). Really brilliant video. Had it appeared on a hit album other than a compilation I'm sure it would be a famous song. But coming from a Greatest Hits release, it just never quite got traction at the time of its release. Such a shame.
I agree, plus I wanted to add I recently watched the videos for Got a Hold On Me, Love Will Show Us How, Little Lies, As Long As You Follow, Save Me, and Skies the Limit, and Christine looks so beautiful in the last 4 videos. I mean, really beautiful, with softer makeup, which gave her a softer appearance into the face. The whole band looks so classy in those 4 FM videos, but Christine is exceptionally beautiful.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if we’re going for lost gems, I’m going to name a few wonderful tunes that are a) comparatively rare or b) only available as demos or outtakes.

1. “Dragonfly” (1971 single + FM’s 1971 Greatest Hits)

2. “Trinity” (Bare Trees Outtake)

3. “Crazy ‘Bout You Baby” (1970 Live-In-Studio version on Madison Blues)

4. “Bermuda Triangle” (Sausalito Soundboard 1974, full version WITH the piano solo, often omitted from existing recordings)

5. “Start Again” (early—and vocally superior—take of “Morning Rain” only available on BBC tapes)

6. “Never Make Me Cry” (1978 version with full band presence, piano, and—I think—arp string ensemble)

7. “At Last” (1998 live, Stevie belting out this torch song like nobody’s business!)

8. “Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You” (1998, Storytellers version—a revelation)

9. “Friend” (2004 acoustic, electric keyboard, percussion version)

10. “Goodbye Angel” (1982, Mirage Outtake)

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-31-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-29-2022, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I would add one more:

Everybody Finds Out
I put it on the list not to annoy bwboy but its Fleetwood Mac on fire and the best song on Say You Will. It should have been the lead single.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I would add one more:

Everybody Finds Out
I put it on the list not to annoy bwboy but its Fleetwood Mac on fire and the best song on Say You Will. It should have been the lead single.
Should've been done on the tour. That keyboard at the end is KILLER. Don't you Knnnooooowwww...
Old 01-29-2022, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably I would repeat a little the same list of the "Top 10 all time Fleetwood Mac songs" written on another thread, because I think they are lost gems of the Mac, just not to say that they're very not well valorated songs!

- Earl Gray (Danny Kirwan)
- Future Games (Bob Welch)
- Sands Of Time (Danny Kirwan)
- Sunny Side Of Heaven (Danny Kirwan)
- Caught In The Rain (Bob Weston)
- Brown Eyes (Christine McVie)
- I'm So Afraid (from Live) (Lindsey Buckingham)
- Book Of Love (Lindsey Buckingham)
- You & I, Part I (Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie)
- Sooner Or Later (Christine McVie)

And once again, my special mentions go to:
- Coming Home (Bob Welch)
- Emerald Eyes (Bob Welch)
- Forever (Bob Weston, John McVie, Bob Welch)
- Love In Store (Christine McVie)
- Wish You Were Here (Christine McVie)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Wow this is an explosive question for this band since some of their best work are the songs that are not hits.

Never Forget - It sometimes gets forgotten as Tusk's closer but its a hidden gem

Warm Ways - so many hate it on this board. I used to hear it on Sirus Bridge all the time. Its so romantic even for Chris and the harmonies are so good. Lindsey plays great acoustic guitar on it too. Actually first single of the Buck/Nicks Fleetwood Mac - released before Over My Head in England
I'm totally with you with these two! I love them!! Never Forget is a very sweet song, Lindsey's backing vocals gave a good touch to Chris' classical and beautiful voice...it's short, but it's good
Warm Ways is sooooo romantic! I learned to play Lindsey's guitar part and I enjoy every time I do it, because it's easy and you just follow the rythm of the song, like a wind repeating the melody...
Old 01-29-2022, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did I ever mention I love lists!
Before delving into this amazing treasure chest, I will say off the top, virtually anything Danny Kirwan did, is a lost gem. Not the best lyricist to be sure, but musically, nobody went to the places he did (even Peter who is great in his own way)...

Dust- an early 70's gem would've sounded totally at home with anything Simon and Garfunkel or Bob Dylan were doing at the time.

Woman of a Thousand Years- a sonic adventure like hiking through the jungle or watching the waves roll in- a masterpiece of music along with the rest of Future Games.

Spare Me a Little- Christine's first amazing radio hit (although it was never a radio hit) it damn well should've been. Along with Sentimental Lady, also on this list, two killer singles on Bare Trees.

The Green Manalishi- Green's finest moment and a true hard rock classic- should be played along side anything Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin ever did.

Sentimental Lady- I feel is Bob Welch's best moment, (he had many) and should've been a massive hit in 1972.

Station Man- Early 70's ear candy- a perfectly written performed and sounding gem.

Crystal- As good, or better in spots than Landslide- I'm still confused to this day why this was not part of the concert set, at least until the early 80's. The Buckingham Nicks live versions are amazing.

I Don't Want to Know- Certainly a top ten of Stevie's stellar early song writing- the one forgotten gem on the original Rumours- I never understood why- except for that other song of hers that makes this list

Miles Away- that guitar riff- one of the best of all time in rock music and one of the many amazing Bob Welch songs that should've been killer hits in the early 70's.

OVer and OVer- I love Brown Eyes, especially the Yesterday's Tears version, but this song is just perfect- some find it boring but I think it's brilliant in every which way- and it was wonderful live. Should've been a tour staple for decades after Tusk.

Silver Springs- Stevie Nicks best written song of her career. I will admit, a little extra studio polishing would've taken it a slight notch higher, but released as a single in 1976 I would say this would've been most likely even bigger than Dreams. It was great to see it given its due in the Dance era too, and she pulled in off perfectly.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with all the comments on As Long As You Follow and Carnival Begin- These are definitely Christine's best of her late career amazingly viable product.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Well, if we’re going for lost gems, I’m going to name a few wonderful tunes that are a) comparatively rare or b) only available as demos or outtakes.

1. “Dragonfly” (1971 single + FM’s 1971 Greatest Hits)

2. “Trinity” (Bare Trees Outtake)

3. “Crazy ‘Bout You Baby” (1970 Live-In-Studio version on Madison Blues)

4. “Bermuda Triangle” (Sausalito Soundboard 1974, full version WITH the piano solo, often omitted from existing recordings)

5. “Start Again” (early—and vocally superior—take of “Morning Rain” only available on BBC tapes)

6. “Never Make Me Cry” (1978 version with full band presence, piano, and—I think—arp strong ensemble)

7. “At Last” (1998 live, Stevie belting out this torch song like nobody’s business!)

8. “Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You” (1998, Storytellers version—a revelation)

9. “Friend” (2004 acoustic, electric keyboard, percussion version)

10. “Goodbye Angel” (1982, Mirage Outtake)

Yeah, I was considering including Trinity. I really love it. The atmosphere and general vibe of the song is amazing...love the conga drums. Criminal it never got included on an album, for whatever reason. But I didn't include it though, as no matter how bad Danny's lyrics can be, I thought they're particularly flimsy on this song.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As long as you follow
Warm ways
Over & over
Never make me cry
Thrown down
Say goodbye (but just in the live way L&S sang it)
Old 01-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Yeah, I was considering including Trinity. I really love it. The atmosphere and general vibe of the song is amazing...love the conga drums. Criminal it never got included on an album, for whatever reason. But I didn't include it though, as no matter how bad Danny's lyrics can be, I thought they're particularly flimsy on this song.
The lyrics are quite spare—but I like the image they conjure; a boy on his way to realizing his musical dream. The music helps paint that euphoric feeling, too.