Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie — Country Timeline

This timeline is part fact and part forecast. I’ve been thinking about Stevie’s history with country songs and how fans have occasionally asked Stevie to do a country album.

1950s — AJ bonds with Stevie and performs with her in local bars.

1970s — Stevie writes a bunch of good country songs, including “That’s Alright,” “Garbo,” “The Grandfather Song” (“sing like you mean it / sing those timeless country songs”), “Leather and Lace,” and “After the Glitter Fades.”

2000s — Stevie sings “Red River Valley” on TV.

2000s — Stevie performs country songs with Lady Antebellum, Dixie Chicks, and a few others.

2024 — Beyoncé releases Cowboy Carter to much acclaim.

2025 — Stevie’s management convinces her to record a country album to ride Beyoncé’s coattails.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 05-15-2024 at 12:36 PM..
Old 05-15-2024, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny you should mention the Grandfather Song.... she just mentioned it at a recent show saying "maybe I'll go home and w rite that Grandfather song and come back and sing it for you..." Like girl what? Haven't you said for decades now it was already written??

https://twitter.com/i/status/1790625069858713931

Oh, and btw, she seemed to throw shade on some of her fellow rockers (looking at you, Bon Jovi) saying when people ask her "How come you can still REALLY sing?" unlike other rockers her age it's because she practices with her vocal coach .....
https://x.com/steviest0rms/status/1790593070846685207 (though she is kinda slurry or unintellible for part of it)
Old 05-15-2024, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Funny you should mention the Grandfather Song.... she just mentioned it at a recent show saying "maybe I'll go home and w rite that Grandfather song and come back and sing it for you..." Like girl what? Haven't you said for decades now it was already written??

https://twitter.com/i/status/1790625069858713931

Oh, and btw, she seemed to throw shade on some of her fellow rockers (looking at you, Bon Jovi) saying when people ask her "How come you can still REALLY sing?" unlike other rockers her age it's because she practices with her vocal coach .....
https://x.com/steviest0rms/status/1790593070846685207 (though she is kinda slurry or unintellible for part of it)
Bon Jovi is an Irving guy too. Stevie hit the high note in Stand Back last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTH...YXNodmlsbGU%3D
Maybe this is a sign of a new era to come. David called the album right here.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Bon Jovi is an Irving guy too. Stevie hit the high note in Stand Back last night. Maybe this is a sign of a new era to come. David called the album right here.
It was still an ungracious thing to say at best.... *I* am still singing FABULOUSLY when all the others aren't, see what a LEGEND I am?? Which clearly feels like spin to me... because, does she not LISTEN to recordings of her shows?? She's all over the place more often than not. Sure she's 75 and doing pretty ok, but she ain't singing fabulously...So she's self-aggrandizing AND pissing on other singers at the same time... Frankly I've not heard any other performers her age even comment on her voice so... why she's being douchey about how she's so much better than her contemporaries is just....

and again, her voice is actually QUITE diminished.....sorry, sister honey
Old 05-15-2024, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
It was still an ungracious thing to say at best.... *I* am still singing FABULOUSLY when all the others aren't, see what a LEGEND I am?? Which clearly feels like spin to me... because, does she not LISTEN to recordings of her shows?? She's all over the place more often than not. Sure she's 75 and doing pretty ok, but she ain't singing fabulously...So she's self-aggrandizing AND pissing on other singers at the same time... Frankly I've not heard any other performers her age even comment on her voice so... why she's being douchey about how she's so much better than her contemporaries is just....

and again, her voice is actually QUITE diminished.....sorry, sister honey
Because she's Stevie's biggest fan. Karen and the rest of her paid staff tell her that's she's awesome. And why would they lie?
Old 05-15-2024, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bon Jovi is an Irving guy too. Stevie hit the high note in Stand Back last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTH...YXNodmlsbGU%3D
Maybe this is a sign of a new era to come. David called the album right here.
she does sound pretty decent here, better than other shows that have gotten posted. I do hate how she just rushes and mumbles through the words though.... and it's still kinda cringey how she often looks like she just doesn't connect with the music anymore... she used to really FEEL the music back in the day, even through some of the more recent FM tours.... this is just like...meh. (I get she may be bored with the same material after decades, but she's the boss and is the one who could change that and do stuff that interests her more... just saying ) Her movements also generally make it seem like she's in some pain or has some sort of issue/illness with her joints or something. I don't expect her skipping in high heels across the stage any more, but she was barely bending or even swinging her arms til a little bit at the very end.... Her costumes don't help, they make her look a lot bigger and bulkier than she really is... which again makes me wonder, is she trying to keep her joints or muscles warm or something? She's doing it, bless her, but.... kinda painful to watch
Old 05-15-2024, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A few more things for the timeline:

In 1989 she recorded I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes) from TOSOTM.

In 1993 she recorded Destiny and Rose Garden for Street Angel.

She released It’s Late, a country duet with Chris Isaak.

I forget the year, but for Trouble in Shangri-La (2000?) she duetted with the Dixie Chicks on Too Far From Texas.

On In Your Dreams, she recorded For What It’s Worth, a country song.

In 2024 she duetted with Dolly Parton (even though it was a pop/rock song, it was with a country legend).
Old 05-16-2024, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I forget the year, but for Trouble in Shangri-La (2000?) she duetted with the Dixie Chicks on Too Far From Texas.
I think it was at Divas 2002.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks, at her core, is a country singer.

I have a country Stevie playlist on my iTunes account.

Stevie Nicks - Honky Tonk High Priestess

That's Alright
After the Glitter Fades
Rose Garden
Silver Springs
Too Far From Texas
For What It's Worth
Sleeping Angel
The Highwayman
I Still Miss Someone
Garbo
It's Late
Storms
Leather and Lace
Smiling Islands
Old 05-16-2024, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Stevie Nicks, at her core, is a country singer.

I have a country Stevie playlist on my iTunes account.

Stevie Nicks - Honky Tonk High Priestess

Silver Springs
Sleeping Angel
Garbo
Storms
Smiling Islands
I never really thought of the first four songs as country, and I’ve never heard Smiling Islands before. I can kind of see Garbo as a country song, though.

No Questions Asked has a country twang to me.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I never really thought of the first four songs as country, and I’ve never heard Smiling Islands before. I can kind of see Garbo as a country song, though.

No Questions Asked has a country twang to me.
For me, #1 and 2 ARE country songs. #4 is not. I don't know #3.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
For me, #1 and 2 ARE country songs. #4 is not. I don't know #3.
Rose Garden is from your favorite Stevie album Street Angel.

I think you'd actually like it. It was written by her in the 60s but was released on that 1994 album.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Rose Garden is from your favorite Stevie album Street Angel.

I think you'd actually like it. It was written by her in the 60s but was released on that 1994 album.
OSOTM was the TURD that stopped me from buying and loving her music.

You know, some people are only good for a couple of great albums, and that's it. They're done. Meet Stevie...
Old 05-17-2024, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What does exactly define a country song?

I've always heard a country sound in Over my Head from the Live album, specially the intro.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The whole Street Angel album has a country rock vibe
I wonder what Greta would say?