The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So when you think about it, the only member of Fleetwood Mac that Christine DIDN'T play together with is Bob Brunning.

Well, and maybe Dave Mason...on Time, he didn't appear on her tracks and she didn't appear on his. But, there are a couple of publicity photos of them together, so who knows if there were some sessions where they did play together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
This is a horrible analogy, but it's sort of like the divide within Christianity. Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Protestants, etc.... they all believe in and worship Jesus, and yet, none of them can agree on HOW to worship, and they all think they do it the "right way."
They get lost in the details and lose sight of the bigger picture.
But, remember, Fleetwood Mac started with St. Peter, St. Michael, & St. John.

And, all three started out in the parrish of Bishop John The Mayall.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-17-2005 at 06:01 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
chiliD
This message has been deleted by chiliD.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default response

Well, I'm glad my post generated such a lively discussion. I was hoping for that. Thanks alot everyone
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I'm still kinda new here and trying to feel things out a bit, but one thing I've noticed, both before I joined and since, is that there seems to be a pretty good divide between the fans that like the pre 1975 lineup and post 1975. The same goes for the individual fans of Stevie and Lindsey. I totally respect anyone's opinion on whichever way they choose to go. But here's the way I look at it. Some people call themselves Stevieheads or Lindseyheads, some prefer the older lineup or the newer. For myself, I would have to say I'm a Fleetwood Mac head. I very much enjoy both the older and newer linups. not so much the Bekka and Dave years, and ad far aas Billy and Rick go, they're very good, just not quite up to par with Lindsey in my opinion. Anyway, My interest in the other band members, IE, Stevie and Lindsey is an outgrowth of my interest in the band as a whole. And while I very much enjoy seeing Stevie solo, and would enjoy seeing Lindsey solo, (Never have on that one) I would always choose to see them with Fleetwood Mac first. I'm curious to see what other people think about this. I will enjoy reading the responses.

DavidMn

"And He Was Just Like A Great Dark Wing...."
I have a preference towards Stevie, but I'm equally a FM Fan. And when she is with them my vision of her changes as her attitude and the style of her songs also change. As a songwriter she sends different inputs with FM and solo and I love them both. Though when she's in the band I totally see her as one of four elements (five with Chris). I'll go to see FM (hoping to have the chance) wanting to hear live the music they make together, not to focus only on her.
Then if you ask me about solo acts and albums is a totally different matter.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 06-17-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Well, and maybe Dave Mason...on Time, he didn't appear on her tracks and she didn't appear on his.
I think Dave may have played on "I Do" and Christine on "I Wonder Why," as Michael Thompson is only listed as "additional guitars" on the former, and Steve Thoma "additional keyboards" on the latter. Why would they make that distinction? Also, I think both played on the Bekka & Billy stuff, as the only time Steve Thoma's name appears on any of those songs is on "Winds Of Change" and he was only listed as "additional keyboards" at that. So, I think they did work together on some stuff.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But, remember, Fleetwood Mac started with St. Peter, St. Michael, & St. John.

And, all three started out in the parrish of Bishop John The Mayall.

Amen, Brother Steve!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I make no bones about my preference for Stevie, but it doesn't really take away from my appreciation for everyone else in the band. I think they work off a kind of synergy that makes it all come together for the sound that makes them so unique. I love Stevie's solo work, too, but with FM, it's just different. When Chris was in the band, even if it was one of Stevie's or Lindsey's songs, you could hear the tie-in of the other two songwriters. Same with Chris' songs. Their three part harmonies were obviously to die for. And, while there is such a strong, distinctive sound they have, they're still different enough (from Chris' to Stevie's to Lindsey's songs) that if you don't like one, you might like another. It's like having three bands in one. At the SYW shows I went to last year and year before, I thought that was one of the coolest things. I was mostly watching Stevie, but sometimes I would look over to the other side of the stage to see what Lindsey was doing. If Chris had been there, my eyes would have been all over the place. So, I guess for me, I'm more of a Stevie fan but I respect the fact that FM is a collective effort and what makes it click is the musical chemistry of all five (now four) members. Everybody has their favorite.

Last edited by lagringader&r; 06-17-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I think Dave may have played on "I Do" and Christine on "I Wonder Why," as Michael Thompson is only listed as "additional guitars" on the former, and Steve Thoma "additional keyboards" on the latter. Why would they make that distinction? Also, I think both played on the Bekka & Billy stuff, as the only time Steve Thoma's name appears on any of those songs is on "Winds Of Change" and he was only listed as "additional keyboards" at that. So, I think they did work together on some stuff.
I could have sworn that in her 1995 AOL chat, Christine said she and Dave didn't play on each other's tracks. I might be wrong though.

She also expressed an incredulousness as to why he was even in the band. She wasn't pulling punches! But then, our Christine never does.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could have sworn that in her 1995 AOL chat, Christine said she and Dave didn't play on each other's tracks. I might be wrong though.
I remember this, too.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(and even the Peter Green camp, from what I've experienced)...
And EVEN the Peter Green camp? More like "and ESPECIALLY the Peter Green camp," because if he's not on it, it has cooties.
Quote:
but I've also noticed many Christine fans saying that the lineup on 'Say You Will' and the most recent tour weren't really "Fleetwood Mac" as far as they're concerned, because Chris wasn't there, and, without Chris, Fleetwood Mac is nothing.
I don't remember that so much as I remember people being upset that SYW could have been either released as Fleetwood Mac or Buckingham Nicks. With Christine, there was a distinction between the two bands. On SYW, that distinction, for many, became blurred. The fact that Lindsey said in some interviews that the possibility of another Buckingham Nicks album was seriously considered didn't help. I seriously doubt that there would have been the resistance if there had been another singer/songwriter (i.e. Billy Burnette) that would have created the distinction.
Quote:
So even though there was a Fleetwood Mac before Christine, and one after Christine... they have little use for the band without her.
There may be a few, to be sure. But MOST Christine fans still bought the album and went to the show, and I'd be willing to be that they even own a few Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac albums.
Quote:
As I said, we ALL have our favorite member(s), without whom, Fleetwood Mac wouldn't have quite the same appeal for us.
Well, my favorite is Mick Fleetwood, and without him, there literally wouldn't be ANY Fleetwood Mac! So, at least I can honestly say that there's no Fleetwood Mac without Mick Fleetwood, and I'd be right 100% of the time.
Quote:
I just think... as I've stated many times in the past... that it's a demonstration of some serious tunnel-vision to accuse the Stevie Fans for feeling that Stevie is the best thing Fleetwood Mac ever had, as if her fans are the only "guilty" party.
Well, they're certainly the most outspoken and, from what I've seen, more apt to slander anybody who says otherwise. You should have seen a lot of the comments that Stevie fans made about Bekka Bramlett. Lots of classy remarks like "little hussie" or "tramp" or "trailer trash" or that Stevie should "hire Bekka to be her make-up lady." I remember when it was learned in early 1996 that Stevie and Lindsey were going to record a song for the "Twister" soundtrack, that one Stevie fan in particular said that this was Stevie's revenge on Mick for not letting her use "Silver Springs," only to find out later that Mick played drums on "Twisted." I sent an e-mail telling the guy that Mick was working with Lindsey, so revenge is probably not the motivation. That dude said a lot of nasty things about me personally on the old FM newsgroup about the e-mail, even though he was shown to have been wrong. I personally don't see some of the catty nastiness from fans of other members of Fleetwood Mac that I see with Stevie Nicks' fans. What's sad is the few who are so nasty tend to be the most vocal, which gives Stevie fans a bad name.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She also expressed an incredulousness as to why he was even in the band. She wasn't pulling punches! But then, our Christine never does.
No, she never said that she didn't play on any of Dave's tracks & vice versa. She did DEFINITELY say that she had no idea why he was in the band. I think there have also been rumours about bad blood between Chris & Dave Mason. I don't know if those rumours are true or not. I tend to think the CD booklet may not be quite accurate & that the only tracks she's on are her 5 songs.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. I personally don't see some of the catty nastiness from fans of other members of Fleetwood Mac that I see with Stevie Nicks' fans. What's sad is the few who are so nasty tend to be the most vocal, which gives Stevie fans a bad name.
Do Stevie fans have a bad name? I never realized that. Maybe we should have badges or something to remind ourselves how bad we are.

Romy

ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't remember that she said anything about who played on who's songs, but yes, she wasn't very happy about his presence. Oddly, she never even mentioned Bekka Bramlett. Just remember, Christine and Dave go back even before her Chicken Shack days. Christine was dating Spencer Davis, and the pair discovered Steve Winwood. Mason was a roadie for the Spencer Davis Group, which is how he met Steve Winwood. Winwood and Mason formed Traffic with Jim Capaldi and saxophonist Chris Wood, who was in Christine's first band, Shades of Blue. In any event, Christine obviously sided with Stevie in the Winwood-Mason clash. In any event, I think she wasn't holding back because she had already left the band. If you notice, Mick referrs to Steve Thoma as a member of the band in an AOL chat later that night.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think there have also been rumours about bad blood between Chris & Dave Mason. I don't know if those rumours are true or not.
Oh, they're true. Given what she said in her chat, and Mason saying that "Time" was going to be her last album "with us," I sensed that, too. So, when I asked her former manager about it, he said, the big problem is that "Dave Mason is an asshole." Dave is an odd personality. I heard some funny stories back when I used to have a Dave Mason website. A friend of Dave's confirmed there were tensions and suggested part of the problem is that Dave still uses the nose candy. This friend also said that part of the reason why "Time" wasn't promoted was Mick Fleetwood and Dave Mason spent over a million just trying to get things to sound right. So, I'm sure there were several things about Dave that rubbed Christine the wrong way.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
Do Stevie fans have a bad name? I never realized that. Maybe we should have badges or something to remind ourselves how bad we are.
See, you're proving my point. You're taking comments that I've made out of context, which is something Stevie fans do more than fans of other members. That's the cattiness to which I was referring. I CLEARLY said, and you EVEN quoted, that "What's sad is the few who are so nasty tend to be the most vocal, which gives Stevie fans a bad name." I didn't say that ALL Stevie fans were bad, but that there are a few especially vocal fans who give Stevie fans in general a bad name. Why would I say that was "sad" if I thought all Stevie fans were bad?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, you're proving my point. You're taking comments that I've made out of context, which is something Stevie fans do more than fans of other members. That's the cattiness to which I was referring. I CLEARLY said, and you EVEN quoted, that "What's sad is the few who are so nasty tend to be the most vocal, which gives Stevie fans a bad name." I didn't say that ALL Stevie fans were bad, but that there are a few especially vocal fans who give Stevie fans in general a bad name. Why would I say that was "sad" if I thought all Stevie fans were bad?
I was just kidding but you obviously give to this a much more serious meaning than me. I wasn't offended in any way by what you said. I don't think anyone (speaking in general here) can categorize people only because they share similar tastes. I find a bit ridiculous who does so (again, speaking in general). I think we can agree on that.

Romy