Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Neil Finn interview on yahoo

Nice interview with Neil Finn where he talks about reuniting with Crowded House for their new album, his tour with Fleetwood Mac, and whether FM will record another album. He is a sincere guy, and it was very interesting listening to his thoughts about the future of FM. He is certainly respectful of the band and their legacy, that’s for sure. I’m looking forward to buying the new CD.

Sorry I can’t post the link, but maybe someone else can. It’s a 10 minute interview.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very good find bwboy.

I agree he does respect the history and legacy of FM.

It was really kind of him to say he'd be delighted if FM did anything again with or without him.

It's interesting that he says Mick would do an FM album but to get the group of people to focus on it at one time would be a hard thing to move.
Stevie hasn't made a solo record in 6 years.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/neil...150000006.html
Old 06-01-2021, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Very good find bwboy.

It was really kind of him to say he'd be delighted if FM did anything again with or without him.

It's interesting that he says Mick would do an FM album but to get the group of people to focus on it at one time would be a hard thing to move.
Christine said in a recent interview (from the last few years) that she is always ready to do a recording project. There’s no question she would want to record new material. The hold up is Stevie. It’s always Stevie.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christine said in a recent interview (from the last few years) that she is always ready to do a recording project. There’s no question she would want to record new material. The hold up is Stevie. It’s always Stevie.
Goes to show that Lindsey producing wasn't the sole reason she didn't want to make Mac music... New lineup couldn't even make a single. And once tour ended Nov '19, she went right to doing private gigs and a golf tournament concert.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very good find bwboy.

Thanks, UnwindedDreams- Neil does come across as a very nice, kind man. Even more so in a new interview at www.ew.com where he speaks again about Fleetwood Mac, and more specifically how going on tour with them and singing Lindsey’s songs influenced how he sang on the new Crowded house album coming out this week.

At first I was frustrated that the interviewer didn’t press Neil on more info about just what the current status is of FM, but it’s pretty obvious Neil doesn’t know what’s going on anymore than anyone else. That makes me believe the theory that Mick and Lindsey are planning to record a new album or something. Sounds like Neil is going to be ok with whatever the outcome is.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks, UnwindedDreams- Neil does come across as a very nice, kind man. Even more so in a new interview at www.ew.com where he speaks again about Fleetwood Mac, and more specifically how going on tour with them and singing Lindsey’s songs influenced how he sang on the new Crowded house album coming out this week.

At first I was frustrated that the interviewer didn’t press Neil on more info about just what the current status is of FM, but it’s pretty obvious Neil doesn’t know what’s going on anymore than anyone else. That makes me believe the theory that Mick and Lindsey are planning to record a new album or something. Sounds like Neil is going to be ok with whatever the outcome is.
Yea. I look forward to checking out Dreamers Are Waiting this month.

Like you said, sounds like Neil will feel fine any way. He made a ton of dough, got his name out to thousands of people that may not have known him who now listen to his music.

He could always collaborate with Mike too. I totally forgot that. Maybe he could join the HBs. I would buy that album or see their show.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
how going on tour with them and singing Lindsey’s songs influenced how he sang on the new Crowded house album coming out this week. .
yeah all these Finn interviews are coming up in my LB search google dumps for several days now so bellow is the whole interview.

thought it was interesting how -

1) the day FM tour was over he immediately went into studio with - Crowded House
and
2) that singing Lindsey's songs inspired him to let go of his years of creating slow melancholic ballads and make some upbeat up-tempo songs like Lindsey's.

referring to Lindsey as just some "longtime FM guitarist" in however is endlessly annoying and disrespectful to Fleetwood Mac legacy and Lindsey Buckingham.

https://ew.com/music/crowded-house-d...ing-moodboard/

How Fleetwood Mac, carnivals, and Mr. Chow inspired the first Crowded House album in 11 years

"There was just a sudden, 'Hang on a minute! There's a wonderful, soulful way to bring Crowded House back into the fold.'"
By Katherine TurmanJune 01, 2021 at 02:58 PM EDT
Advertisement
Save
FB
Tweet
Crowded House Mood Board
Credit: Illustration by Anne Latini for EW

The Musical Moodboard is a recurring EW feature where artists reveal the inspirations behind a new album.

"I wasn't meant to capsize," says Neil Finn, his spiky gray hair giving him the look of a bed-head version of David Lynch. The veteran rocker is talking about making the music video for his band's new single "To the Island" — and how in one scene, the canoe Finn is traveling in tips over, tossing him into the sea. "That was a wave that caught me unawares, and [it was] not a very stable boat. I was supposed to be rowing a canoe to shore to try to find some mythical place where [the band] could all meet."

Mythical, metaphorical, sometimes melancholic, Neil Finn's songs have always shimmered. He delivers that magic once again on Dreamers Are Waiting (out June 4), the first album in 11 years from his band Crowded House. Keeping with Finn's own mien, the record's 12 songs are delightful, quirky, cool, and occasionally dark. That should come as a relief to Crowded House fans, who have long waited for the "Don't Dream It's Over" rockers to return to the fold.

Finn is joined on the new record by founding member Nick Seymour on bass, the band's longtime producer Mitchell Froom, and Finn's two sons, guitarist and singer Liam and drummer Elroy. The elder Finn recently spoke with EW over Zoom from his New Zealand home to discuss the myriad influences that figured into the making of Dreamers — from carnivals to beached whales to his time playing with Fleetwood Mac.

1. Fleetwood Mac

After guitarist Lindsey Buckingham was kicked to the curb, Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks recruited Finn to tour with the Mac for the group's 2018 tour. He called the unexpected turn of events "a delightful surprise"; it also got him thinking about the longevity of classic bands. "[Fleetwood Mac] has redefined itself several times, and yet there's a presence and soulfulness every time it goes out," he says. The experience led Finn to reflect on his own career trajectory — and later sparked an idea for a new project: "There was just a sudden 'Hang on a minute! There's a wonderful, soulful way to bring Crowded House back into the fold. So let's just do it.'"
Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and Neil Finn of Fleetwood Mac
Neil Finn performing with Fleetwood Mac in 2018
| Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

Having to sing Lindsey Buckingham's songs every night also meant Finn was using the top of his vocal range, so it wasn't a surprise when that approach seeped into the new Crowded House sound. "I was going into this record thinking, 'I would like to gravitate the band toward songs that would be great to play onstage and where I'm stretching my voice and that are upbeat,'" Finn says. The final result? "It made the album a little less melancholy and ballad-oriented, as some of my records have sometimes tended to be."

2. Books and beached whales

While urban legend holds that the band's name came from an overfilled pad they used to crash in, Finn says otherwise. "I went down to the library off Sunset [Blvd] and found a book of Eastern European folk tales, and it was called Crowded House. I hadn't seen it again until somebody turned up at a gig and handed it to me from the front row."

Dreamers Are Waiting, too, is bookish: In 2020, Finn and his wife took a chance on the estate sale of a secondhand shop and purchased hundreds of old books, sight unseen. "Our biggest delivery was about 30 boxes," he says. Aided by pandemic free time, they went through every volume, dusting each one and discarding anything historically suspect. "I got a few lines for some songs" from the books, he says, including one about "beached whales" for the track "Deeper Down."

3. Carnivals

Credit longtime Crowded House producer and new full-time member Mitchell Froom for the mysterious Beach Boys–meets–circus midsection of "To the Island." There's a strange carnival gene flowing through Mitchell," says Finn. "On the tour, he'd be warming up with Elroy, and they'd be playing some kind of carnivalesque music with a bit of a funk undertone."

4. Tromp l'oeil painting

Bassist Nick Seymour created the illusory bunny-featuring trompe l'oeil album cover during lockdown. Finn notes that it looks like the art "you see outside Italian restaurants in Little Italy in New York." But he sees something else going on under the surface. "I imagine a reclusive person taking refuge in a cave and looking out at what could be a dystopian vision or a historic vision. There's some decay…but there's the bright future as well, out the cave door."
Crowded House Dreamers Are Waiting
The album cover for Crowded House's 'Dreamer Are Waiting' was created by bassist Nick Seymour
| Credit: BMG

5. Mr. Chow in London

Back in the halcyon days of the record business, big fancy dinners were the norm. During one such affair — at the storied Mr. Chow, which Finn references in the song" Sweet Tooth" — the musician was struck with food poisoning from an earlier meal. "It only really came on when the maître d' and six of his best waiters brought in the Duck into the room we were in. I was overwhelmed and had to leave immediately," says Finn. "I was hailing a cab as quickly as I could. The maître d' followed me out and was absolutely pleading with me to come in: 'The duck, we've just brought it out!' "

In true Crowded House style, though, other parts of "Sweet Tooth" are unrelated yet equally specific, like the oddball lyric "there was six of us and now there's 17." "It's a really obscure reference point, but in my mind, what I'm referring to is when you used to go to school and somebody at lunchtime would get to go down and buy fish and chips," he says. "And the whole school would suddenly be filled with the smell of fish and chips. A kid would be eating out of a paper bag, and he would be surrounded by people going, 'Can I have a chip? Can I have a chip? Please just one chip!' And it would just drive kids crazy."

6. Elroy & Liam Finn

The unique instrumentation on Dreamers, like the percussion pattern on "Love Isn't Hard at All," stems partly from Finn's sons, Elroy and Liam. Notes Finn, "Elroy's got a lot of songs he's working on, and I said, 'Have you got anything real upbeat? Because that would be kind of handy for the record and help us get into it.' "Elroy sent a couple musical ideas, including one simply tiled "Upbeat for Dad," which remained the song's name until the record was nearly complete. "I sort of got involved and helped him with a couple of the parts, but it's very much Elroy's music, and the rhythm, obviously, it's his drumbeat. It's really lively, and it kind of has a giddy feeling to it, which I love."

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New interview with Neil here:
Finn is looking forward to more touring with Crowded House and is confident the new lineup will be a going concern. He's also open to whatever Fleetwood Mac might do in the future, though he's not holding his breath for that. "There were various murmurings and willingness to do something, but I could tell it was gonna be a hard job to get everyone in there together. I hear from Mick (Fleetwood) quite often; He does these little jams at home that he sends me. I think Mick's actually got more of a solo career potential than anyone could possibly guess. Otherwise for Fleetwood Mac I think it's really unknown. I think there was a great will for a few things to happen but if the pandemic can be cured or conquered in short time then it's possible but as time goes on it obviously gets harder as they get older."

Hard job to get everyone in there to make new music?

Few things?.. album and stadium concerts with Eagles?
Old 06-03-2021, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Hard job to get everyone in there to make new music?

Few things?.. album and stadium concerts with Eagles?
We all know who the hold out is for making new music. $tevie! $he's not the bo$$!!!!

Stadium concert with the Eagles? My all time two favorite groups? Don't tease me like that!
Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We all know who the hold out is for making new music. $tevie! $he's not the bo$$!!!!

Stadium concert with the Eagles? My all time two favorite groups? Don't tease me like that!
Mick said he thought the band would be doing stadium shows with another big band after the 2019 tour.

I remember when there was talk of an Eagles/FM Tour in 2010 but it wound up being Eagles, Chicks, and Keith Urban. That was so sad. A greatest hits set with just How Long as the candy in it...the Long Road Out of Eden show was so good because it had like 8 new songs in the show.

You'll be going to see Stevie at one of her festivals this fall. Hold up a John 3:16 sign
Old 06-03-2021, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick said he thought the band would be doing stadium shows with another big band after the 2019 tour.

I remember when there was talk of an Eagles/FM Tour in 2010 but it wound up being Eagles, Chicks, and Keith Urban. That was so sad. A greatest hits set with just How Long as the candy in it...the Long Road Out of Eden show was so good because it had like 8 new songs in the show.

You'll be going to see Stevie at one of her festivals this fall. Hold up a John 3:16 sign
I'll be shocked if anything happens again. Time ain't on their side.
John's over it.
If Christine hadn't taken a 16 year break, she'd be over it(a long time ago).
I think one offs are the only thing $tevie's coming back for.
Old Dick better talk Lindsey into something, because that's all the old idiot's got left.

I never got to see the Eagles until a couple years ago. When they reunited in 94, tickets were just too god damned expensive, and I told myself I'd eventually get around to it. I did see Henley like 5-6 times though, back when his solo career was on fire.

I won't go see FM again with $tevie. Especially if Lindsey comes back. Them holding hands and kissing would be the ultimate slap in the face to any lifelong fan. The old goat ruined the ending.

But if I did, I'd wear my "$tevie Nicks sucks" shirt. Except the Chiffonheads would probably beat me to death!
Old 06-04-2021, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

interesting the Mitchell Froom link as of course he worked with LB.

This meme about the band members being old has come up several times now... funny how when Chris mentioned it, about really John, and to some extent herself as well, she got slapped down and made to walk it back. (My suspicion then and still now was the Stevie/Stevie's management had a big hand in that, not wanting to turn off fans for the remaining Stevie gig$).

When she said it it reminded me of Lindsey's comment during the whole firing fiasco that Chris was "fragile".

Now again we have a band member (Neil) saying that age is a real factor in trying to get them to do anything more as a band. Wonder if he'll get a smack down phone call. Won't likely matter because he's back to his real band now anyway

It really does sound like the McVies are done, and it'd have to be a really big paycheck for a very limited amount of time to get them (esp John I think) to get out there again. Given John's loathing of the studio, getting him to do another record seems quite slim to none as well. (Though maybe after a hiatus from the road he might miss playing a bit...or not. I still think he'd rather be out on his boat chilling out).

Mick and Stevie really are cut from the same cloth, both want to get onstage til they drop....too bad for him she's never really brought him into her solo work (an brief appearance in a video, and he has played on a couple of studio tracks) and even when she did it was not to the same extent LB has (big swaths of albums).

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 06-04-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-04-2021, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Mick and Stevie really are cut from the same cloth, both want to get onstage til they drop....
THIS. I almost wrote the same, yesterday. They live and breathe for it. The attention.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
THIS. I almost wrote the same, yesterday. They live and breathe for it. The attention.
Do they dress for it?