Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2021, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Behind The Mask turns 31

This is a few weeks over due but cant believe its been 31 years. The album was much anticipated and had extremely mixed reviews:

The album received very mixed reviews. AllMusic retrospectively gave the album 1.5/5 stars, their lowest rating of any Fleetwood Mac album, calling Buckingham's departure "a severe blow" for the band and saying that "the songs are among the least inspired the band ever recorded." Other critics, however, praised the new line-up. The Los Angeles Times gave the album 3.5/5 stars, commenting that "without Buckingham's obsessively unique vision, the group has embraced an all-for-one, one-for-all attitude for what sounds like the most truly group effort since Rumours, or perhaps even since 1972's Bare Trees." Rolling Stone rated it as 4/5 stars, claiming that "the addition of Rick Vito and Billy Burnette is the best thing to ever happen to Fleetwood Mac" and that "not since Rumours has Fleetwood Mac recorded pain so unwaveringly and sounded this together.

IMHO, half the album is very good while the other half is forgettable. What I do love about the album is the cohesive sound of the album. You can hear everyone playing (again). I love hearing Chris play her keyboards again. We missed so many of these elements on Tango. The album suffered by some pretty dull songs IMHO. Stevie was in a fog so yet again her contributions are not great. As usual, Chris came prepared to play because her songs shine like they always do. I love hearing that bluesy rhythm section humming again on several songs. Its very Fleetwood Mac sounding which is something Tango never was. I dont think you can judge an album by commercial success either. Many flame it for not producing hit singles. Part of me admires them not chasing Top 40 radio and sticking to their sound. Having said that, the album went to #1 in the UK and Save Me landed in the top 10 in Canada. I loved the video for both singles.
Of course I much prefer Lindsey in the band but these concerts were some of my favorite Mac concerts ever. I much prefer them over The Dance. This was the last of the "arena rock" sound live. In the late 90s too many bands esp the Mac preferred to tone it down and play like the studio in concert. Mick and Billy partying too much. Stevie in a fog. It was up to Christine to keep the band focused.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-31-2021 at 07:33 AM..