Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Heart of Stone

One of my friends on the Facebook groups swears he can hear Stevie and Rick on Heart of Stone. I argue they can't be as they'd officially left by then and as with Love Shines only Chris, Billy and the rhythm section can be heard.

The fact that I can't check on the discographies here anymore with their plethora of detail doesn't help. Is this because the website needs contributions from us?
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t know for sure, but I presume neither Rick or Stevie are on the song. I don’t hear them, anyway.

The timeline for Paper Doll, Heart of Stone, No Questions Asked, and Love Shines is always confusing for me. I believe Paper Doll and As Long As You Follow were recorded for their Greatest Hits, but then they recorded No Questions Asked and used it instead of Paper Doll. Then they recorded songs for Behind the Mask, after which Rick and Stevie left the band. Then Billy, Christine, John, and Mick recorded Love Shines and Heart of Stone, both produced by Patrick Leonard, and put those songs on the Chain box set; Paper Doll was given to Lindsey to tweak, and then he returned it to them, along with his solo song Make Me a Mask, also for the boxset. Then the Rumours 5 reunited for the presidential inauguration, followed within a week or two by Christine, John, Mick, Billy, and Rick performing at the Super Bowl pre-game.

It is confusing.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally hear Stevie. Her harmony is very recognizable in the chorus, just listen for her on the last sung "stone", kind of lingers a millisecond longer than everyone else.

Last edited by The Chain; 05-30-2021 at 08:50 AM..
Old 05-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is definitely on “Heart of Stone.” Not sure if Rick is. But neither Stevie or Rick appear to be on “Love Shines”—yet I believe the songs share the same producer (Patrick Leonard).
Old 05-30-2021, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I certainly hear Stevie on Heart of Stone. However, I don't know whether this could just be studio trickery. I swear I hear on Buckingham McVie too bur she obviously isn't. There's commercial reasons for making it sound like she is....so maybe that's the same as HOS.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is definitely singing on Heart of Stone.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
I totally hear Stevie. Her harmony is very recognizable in the chorus, just listen for her on the last sung "stone", kind of lingers a millisecond longer than everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Stevie is definitely on “Heart of Stone.” Not sure if Rick is. But neither Stevie or Rick appear to be on “Love Shines”—yet I believe the songs share the same producer (Patrick Leonard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I certainly hear Stevie on Heart of Stone. However, I don't know whether this could just be studio trickery. I swear I hear on Buckingham McVie too bur she obviously isn't. There's commercial reasons for making it sound like she is....so maybe that's the same as HOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Stevie is definitely singing on Heart of Stone.
she's totally on the chorus, doing a low harmony. She's not on the bridge. But is absolutely audible on the chorus.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:17 AM

I'm with everyone else. I can hear her. Stevie is on Heart of Stone.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Billy Burnette’s autobiography Crazy Like Me:

“Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine and I recorded two new songs, “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone,” for the FM box set. Patrick Leonard, who produced Madonna at the time, produced them. They were a couple of my favorites that we did while I was with the band.”

Nothing conclusive, but it’s very telling to me that he doesn’t mention Stevie. He confirms the two songs were recorded at the same time, so it makes no sense that Stevie would have sang on one and not the other.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read this thread in my laptop and immediately looked for and played in youtube. My laptop sound has no great sound, but I would say I did hear Stevie.

Then I looked for info, there is not much. Fandom mention this, but I undestand it's a colaborative page:
Heart of Stone is a song written by Christine McVie and Eddy Quintela and recorded by McVie with Fleetwood Mac as one of four original tracks on their 1992 compilation 25 Years: The Chain. It has never been released anywhere else and is currently not available for download.

Personnel
Christine McVie - vocals, keyboards
Billy Burnette - guitar, backing vocals
John McVie - bass
Mick Fleetwood - drums

Last edited by Villavic; 06-01-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Old 06-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To piggyback off what Villavic said, here’s another quote from Billy Burnette’s autobiography:

“There were three different incarnations of FM while I was with them. The first was Stevie, Christine, John, Rick, Mick, and me. After the Behind the Mask tour, we did some tracks for The Chain. That lineup was Christine and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and me. The tracks were “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone.” The last lineup I was in was Bekka Bramlett, Christine McVie, John McVie, Dave Mason, Mick Fleetwood and me.”
Old 06-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

she's still audible on Heart of Stone.

as the Queen recently said "recollections may vary"
Old 06-01-2021, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
The last lineup I was in was Bekka Bramlett, Christine McVie, John McVie, Dave Mason, Mick Fleetwood and me.”
I read somewhere that Christine didn't get along with Mason. Did she actually record with him? I mean were they together in the studio?
Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I read somewhere that Christine didn't get along with Mason. Did she actually record with him? I mean were they together in the studio?
I believe that they HATED each other. If I knew the reason why, I've forgotten. I'll bet Steve MacD knows why, but he seems to have left the board...

I only remember ever seeing ONE pic of the full Time band.

*looks at pic* Man that Bekka was(IS) SMOKING! It's a damned shame they never gave this lineup a real shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmtimeALL.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And I found a second pic in my archives...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FMTimeBeards.JPG (67.6 KB, 17 views)