Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All Over Again

https://youtu.be/Vf5ZUPYTrUI

Sweet dedication to George Hawkins and his family

Last edited by dougl; 06-07-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Old 05-30-2022, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thanks for posting. This little tid bit was not reported but its nice to see Chris finally acknowledge someone from the stage.
George was so close to the band especially Mick, Chris and Lindsey. He played on Mick's solo albums, Christine solo albums and Lindsey's Law and Order.
This is another Loggins/Messina friendship that endured. When the Mac toured with them, they made lasting friendships. Stevie recorded with Kenny. Sara Fleetwood was originally the wife of Loggins/Messina road manager and became Stevie's best friend before she was Mick's wife. Chris also wrote Love In Store with Sara's original husband. George was also the bass player with Loggins/Messina. This tour had lasting impacts on the band. George also had a great voice and I am glad I got to see him tour with Chris.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Sara Fleetwood was originally the wife of Loggins/Messina road manager and became Stevie's best friend before she was Mick's wife.
Was his name Jim Recor?
Old 05-30-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Was his name Jim Recor?
Yes. Jim Recor. It was Sara Recor (for a while).
Old 05-30-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
https://youtu.be/MK6Pc-t33FI

Sweet dedication to George Hawkins and his family
That's very sweet. And both Stevie and Christine look so good. Wowsers..
Old 05-30-2022, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Highlights some of the missed opportunities in this band... there was never any sort of Stevie/Christine collaboration (not necessarily songwriting, but singing, either on record or onstage) like there was between LB and Chris. Onstage there was always focus on the S & L relationship, and them playing off each other, and to some extent moments onstage between Lindsey and Chris (he'd have to go over to her keyboards for that during a song, or be onstage with her playing acoustic while she did Songbird) but never that kind of onstage highlight of the two women.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Highlights some of the missed opportunities in this band... there was never any sort of Stevie/Christine collaboration (not necessarily songwriting, but singing, either on record or onstage) like there was between LB and Chris. Onstage there was always focus on the S & L relationship, and them playing off each other, and to some extent moments onstage between Lindsey and Chris (he'd have to go over to her keyboards for that during a song, or be onstage with her playing acoustic while she did Songbird) but never that kind of onstage highlight of the two women.
I've never understood that missed opportunity. You can see there's a powerful artistic bond there.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've never understood that missed opportunity. You can see there's a powerful artistic bond there.
True but I can see how it did not happen. Women were still struggling to be treated equally as rockers in the 70s. It would have been considered "cute" for the 2 women to have a song together. Then super stardom hit. They only gave Stevie 3 songs and I doubt she wanted to share that small space with someone else. Post Bella Donna, the others did not want to look like they were using Stevie's limelight to make their song a success. Stevie never had a lead single off any Mac album. And she was only given 1 lead song off the double album Tusk (Angel). You could tell the band went to great lengths to not showcase her as a focal point of the band even though it happened anyway. Post Bella Donna it was never going to happen. Now during BTM era, it should have happened, but Stevie was so drugged out of it, its probably a good thing it never happened. Looking back, yes its probably a missed opportunity. But as the years rolled along, I can see why it never happened. Stevie even barely was in the studio for Tango let alone a joint venture with Chris. The band also edited out or way turned down her back up vocals on many Mac songs. Coincidence? I think not. Stevie was on the original Hold Me demo. It sounds great with only Chris and Lindsey but the Mac did not want Stevie's super stardom to rain on their parade.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-31-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Old 05-31-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
True but I can see how it did not happen. Women were still struggling to be treated equally as rockers in the 70s. It would have been considered "cute" for the 2 women to have a song together. Then super stardom hit. They only gave Stevie 3 songs and I doubt she wanted to share that small space with someone else. Post Bella Donna, the others did not want to look like they were using Stevie's limelight to make their song a success. Stevie never had a lead single off any Mac album. And she was only given 1 lead song off the double album Tusk (Angel). You could tell the band went to great lengths to not showcase her as a focal point of the band even though it happened anyway. Post Bella Donna it was never going to happen. Now during BTM era, it should have happened, but Stevie was so drugged out of it, its probably a good thing it never happened. Looking back, yes its probably a missed opportunity. But as the years rolled along, I can see why it never happened. Stevie even barely was in the studio for Tango let alone a joint venture with Chris. The band also edited out or way turned down her back up vocals on many Mac songs. Coincidence? I think not. Stevie was on the original Hold Me demo. It sounds great with only Chris and Lindsey but the Mac did not want Stevie's super stardom to rain on their parade.
Ok Stevie on Hold Me is just awful. Like "what are you doing??" awful. I'm so glad they edited that howling or whatever she was trying to do, 'out'.

So thinking of when they have been featured together. I believe Christine and Stevie came out and did Has Anyone Ever Written... with Christine accompanying her. Mick announced it as the ladies. I think that was Shakin the Cage tour. 1987/88 and they also did an awards show together around that time. And then the famous Happy Birthday Warrrrrner Bros.

Why they edited Stevie's lead vocal out of Oh Daddy is a Mystery To Me. Stevie sounds so good on that. They also do their little Rhiannon Intro (Dance). AND, they sing to each other on Rhiannon. ..."she rings like a bell.."

But video wise she was absolutely featured. Stevie had the two of first three videos. Sara (live) and Gypsy. Then they gave Christine's Hold me which features 5 of them. Later she got Seven Wonders and that's after Stop Draggin, and Stand Back If Anyone Falls.

I get what you're saying about the band not featuring her. But, I believe her own devices caused her "not to be featured a bit more than the band worrying about her superstar status. Otherwise the videos would be Big Love, Little Lies and Mystified.

I try to imagine if she actually went in there with written tunes like she did for SYW and hung out more... I don't think the band would have had much choice if the material was good. (and the vocals too). Some of those Tango demos are just awful.

But having said all that, they've literally had her center stage since 1975. So kind of featured over the last 47 years or so. And for me personally, I used to like when she sat out ISA and NTF.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Ok Stevie on Hold Me is just awful. Like "what are you doing??" awful. I'm so glad they edited that howling or whatever she was trying to do, 'out'.

So thinking of when they have been featured together. I believe Christine and Stevie came out and did Has Anyone Ever Written... with Christine accompanying her. Mick announced it as the ladies. I think that was Shakin the Cage tour. 1987/88 and they also did an awards show together around that time. And then the famous Happy Birthday Warrrrrner Bros.

Why they edited Stevie's lead vocal out of Oh Daddy is a Mystery To Me. Stevie sounds so good on that. They also do their little Rhiannon Intro (Dance). AND, they sing to each other on Rhiannon. ..."she rings like a bell.."

But video wise she was absolutely featured. Stevie had the two of first three videos. Sara (live) and Gypsy. Then they gave Christine's Hold me which features 5 of them. Later she got Seven Wonders and that's after Stop Draggin, and Stand Back If Anyone Falls.

I get what you're saying about the band not featuring her. But, I believe her own devices caused her "not to be featured a bit more than the band worrying about her superstar status. Otherwise the videos would be Big Love, Little Lies and Mystified.

I try to imagine if she actually went in there with written tunes like she did for SYW and hung out more... I don't think the band would have had much choice if the material was good. (and the vocals too). Some of those Tango demos are just awful.

But having said all that, they've literally had her center stage since 1975. So kind of featured over the last 47 years or so. And for me personally, I used to like when she sat out ISA and NTF.
I smell what you are cooking. But videos are like album covers, they feature every band member. I thought the discussion was about writing songs together on albums which is why I would not include live stuff where everybody backs everybody at some point.
It is a good question and something they may look back on and regret. But I can also see why it did not happen. I agree Hold Me does sound better without Stevie. But even if she did not sound bad, Bella Donna was still high on the charts when Hold Me was released. I think the band wanted to not look like they were relying on Stevie and sticking to their old formulas. BTW, my favorite Chris backing for Stevie on an album is Straight Back. That wolf on the run line is so damn good. Its like a large Dairy Queen Butterfinger Blizzard on a hot summer day. Its delicious and only makes you want more.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-01-2022 at 03:57 AM..
Old 06-01-2022, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does "Straight Back" count for nothing?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In my book, yes.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I smell what you are cooking. But videos are like album covers, they feature every band member. I thought the discussion was about writing songs together on albums which is why I would not include live stuff where everybody backs everybody at some point.
It is a good question and something they may look back on and regret. But I can also see why it did not happen. I agree Hold Me does sound better without Stevie. But even if she did not sound bad, Bella Donna was still high on the charts when Hold Me was released. I think the band wanted to not look like they were relying on Stevie and sticking to their old formulas. BTW, my favorite Chris backing for Stevie on an album is Straight Back. That wolf on the run line is so damn good. Its like a large Dairy Queen Butterfinger Blizzard on a hot summer day. Its delicious and only makes you want more.
Want to know something even crazier, Macfan? A lot of those "insane" chiffon's that we loathe.. A lot of them hate Bella Donna. It's very strange.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
BTW, my favorite Chris backing for Stevie on an album is Straight Back. That wolf on the run line is so damn good. Its like a large Dairy Queen Butterfinger Blizzard on a hot summer day. Its delicious and only makes you want more.
How the heck could I forget that?? I used to play it over and over. And it went over my head. Their voices strangely sound good together. And the keys on Straight Back are sublime.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
OK OK so I forgot it.