Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
28. Terminator: Dark Fate, grade B- = it a good action movie but as a Terminator movie, it’s a mess. Screws with the Terminator narrative too much and tries to create a new one. However, the action and acting are good, so I liked it even though I didn’t like what it did to the Terminator narrative.
And it's already such a mind f***. Why screw with the already great and complex narrative.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And it's already such a mind f***. Why screw with the already great and complex narrative.
Such a weird combo. Good action movie but bad sequel

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-08-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

32. Dark Waters, grade A = the best movie I’ve seen this year. True story and scary as hell. It’s about Teflon poisoning. Basically DuPont made a dangerous chemical that it used in Teflon pots and pans. This chemical caused a whole bunch of cancers and thyroid problems. DuPont knew that this chemical was killing people and causing mutations but kept dumping it in the Ohio River anyway. This movie is about the lawyers fight to hold them accountable. Everyone needs to watch this movie. The dangerous chemical doesn’t degrade and is now in 99% of animal life. The people who drank the poisonous water are still developing cancers and dying. It’s a tragedy.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

33. Richard Jewell, grade B =1 Clint Eastwood directed this and does a good job of describing the events of the man wrongly accused of bombing the Atlanta Olympics. This man was almost railroaded into confessesing to bombings that he never committed. Very sad movie. Kathy Bates plays his mom. I was at the Atlanta Olympic and it brought back a lot of memories.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

34. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, B- or C+ = This movie is the hardest movie to rate. It’s not really bad but it’s not that good either. It’s serviceable. The problem is the plot. Every time they need to find something to continue on their journey through space, they conveniently find it. The solutions to their problems are so convenient and totally unreal. I know this is a Star Wars movie but there has to be some tension and believability. It sort of seems like an outline for a movie.Also, there are a ton of cameos in this movie and it seems like the movie relies on nostalgia too much. Plus, they give characters some love interests to add emotion but we don’t care about these people.
Now for the good. It’s a beautiful movie to look at and there are many different worlds they explore. Lots of big important questions get answered. The special effects are great and so is the action. But this isn’t a movie I would want to watch again and again and a Star Wars movie, it’s close to the bottom of my list. It’s on par with Solo.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-21-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Old 12-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, B+.
I was very relieved. Having read a lot online before hand I was expecting a dog's dinner of a mess. Overall, it wasn't bad...in fact, I'd say it has quite a lot that's good about it. After The Last Jedi, JJ had a real task on his hands to salvage something from this disappointing trilogy. Unfortunately he was left too much to fit into one film to make this a cohesive trilogy and tie up loose ends. As a result everything feels so rushed and crammed in. Far better than The Last Jedi. Possibly better than The Force Awakens. Too many coincidences, unnecessary McGuffins, pointless characters and too much reliance on nostalgia to be a great Star Wars film.
In my opinion far better than Solo: A Star Wars Story, but not as good as Rogue One.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-22-2019, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, B+.
I was very relieved. Having read a lot online before hand I was expecting a dog's dinner of a mess. Overall, it wasn't bad...in fact, I'd say it has quite a lot that's good about it. After The Last Jedi, JJ had a real task on his hands to salvage something from this disappointing trilogy. Unfortunately he was left too much to fit into one film to make this a cohesive trilogy and tie up loose ends. As a result everything feels so rushed and crammed in. Far better than The Last Jedi. Possibly better than The Force Awakens. Too many coincidences, unnecessary McGuffins, pointless characters and too much reliance on nostalgia to be a great Star Wars film.
In my opinion far better than Solo: A Star Wars Story, but not as good as Rogue One.
I believe this should of been two movies too. Too much was squeezed into this time frame. I think the Last Jedi is my favorite.