Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I don’t care what they did in the middle of the set, that they did the standard The Chain opening with Go Your Own Way as the main set closer was unimaginative and did nothing to set this new iteration apart from just being a continuation of the same band with Lindsey replaced by Neil and Mike. They should have been far more creative with the set and that includes shifting some songs around.
I'm the last one that would be sticking up for this new line up. But they did do Black Magic Woman, Hypnotized, Storms, and Isn't it Midnight. Sadly because there are way more causal Mac fans and mostly Stevie fans, the band dropped 3 of the songs because of the blank stares from the audience. They were forced to open with the Chain, close with GYOW and even perform Second Hand News (sacrilegious IMHO).

They even had to make Stevie sing a Crowded House song and Black Magic Woman to prevent people from running to the bathroom
Old 05-12-2021, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They even had to make Stevie sing a Crowded House song and Black Magic Woman to prevent people from running to the bathroom
Neil started off singing Don’t Dream It’s Over solo- it was only after the first chorus that Stevie returned to the stage joined him. People didn’t suffer through the song just because Stevie sang it; the audience seemed to enjoy it right from the start, and having Stevie join in just made it even better.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Neil started off singing Don’t Dream It’s Over solo- it was only after the first chorus that Stevie returned to the stage joined him. People didn’t suffer through the song just because Stevie sang it; the audience seemed to enjoy it right from the start, and having Stevie join in just made it even better.
Of course Neil started off singing. I hope I did not imply that. You are smarter than this. Why did Stevie sing Black Magic Woman instead of one of the new guys?
The answer is the same reason Stevie came out to sing Don't Dream Its Over.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course Neil started off singing. I hope I did not imply that. You are smarter than this. Why did Stevie sing Black Magic Woman instead of one of the new guys?
Butt $he says $he's NOT THE BOSS!!!
Old 05-12-2021, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I reread your post and I guess I don't get what you were saying. I took your post literally, which was that people would have gone to the bathroom during DDIO, except that since Stevie was singing on it, so they didn’t. In this case, Stevie was completely off the stage when Neil started singing, and came on in the middle of the song. You make it sound like that’s typical, or that the audience knew she was going to come out and start singing. I knew, because I read reviews here, but the friends I went with had no clue, because they didn’t look up reviews or the song list. I would say most folks there had no idea when the song began that Stevie was going to join Neil, and they were genuinely surprised. Honestly, besides all that, DDIO got a huge response, especially when the music started and people recognized it.

Also, as you pointed out yourself, Storms was dropped because of the lackluster audience response, and Stevie sang that song. So people probably went to the bathroom then as well. Yet people responded enthusiastically to Black Magic Woman, which Stevie sang. You make it a point to say that’s why Stevie sang it and not one of the new guys- but if the audience didn’t respond well to Storms, that shows none of the band members were immune to the ‘bathroom break syndrome’ as I call it lol. Isn’t It Midnight also got a tepid response when I saw them, which was insane because the band sounded great and it was a really uptempo song. Storms and Hypnotized, 2 of my favorite FM songs that I would have loved to have seen performed, were maybe too slow for the crowd, I don't know. My point is, there wasn’t a mass exodus for the bathroom whenever Neil took the lead... it really just depended on the song rather than who was singing it. At least that was my experience when I saw them live.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Storms and Hypnotized, 2 of my favorite FM songs that I would have loved to have seen performed, were maybe too slow for the crowd, I don't know. My point is, there wasn’t a mass exodus for the bathroom whenever Neil took the lead... it really just depended on the song rather than who was singing it. At least that was my experience when I saw them live.
Did you not see Mac live in 2009? They did Storms that tour.

I think Stevie got bored of doing it in 2018. It really is a dull song. Even though Gypsy's done every tour, she can bop to it. Angel or Beautiful Child wouldve been better.

I agree DDIO was loved by the crowds in the shows I went to. I Got You there may've been some people walking, but not sections of people!
Old 05-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Did you not see Mac live in 2009? They did Storms that tour.

I think Stevie got bored of doing it in 2018. It really is a dull song. Even though Gypsy's done every tour, she can bop to it. Angel or Beautiful Child wouldve been better.

I agree DDIO was loved by the crowds in the shows I went to. I Got You there may've been some people walking, but not sections of people!
I did see that tour, I checked and that was their Unleashed tour, where they focused on their hits. I do remember she performed Storms then, and she did a great job. It has a Landslide-gravitas to it, but since it’s not near as well known to casual FM fans as Landslide is, I don’t think the audience appreciates it as much. Such a beautiful song, as is Beautiful Child. The audience in 2019 didn’t seem to like it as much as the audience in 2009 did, sadly.

I think, like most performers, Stevie reacts to the crowd. If the audience was digging Storms, than she reacted and responded to that; if the audience wasn’t digging the song, she probably got frustrated. I would say that’s what happened with Storms on the last tour.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The audience in 2019 didn’t seem to like it as much as the audience in 2009 did, sadly.
She also didn't sing it well in 2018. It didn't have the fire. She sang it incredibly on Unleashed. She was going so high on that song, higher than the album version.

DID I EVER REALLY CARE THAT MU-UCH?

That song in 09 was worth price of admission. She also looked liked a Goddess in the red dress
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember them opening with In the Back of my mind in Pittsburgh. I absolutely loved it as an opener. I actually enjoyed the shows with Billy and Rick in the band. I remember at the time not being that upset that Lindsey had left the band. Probably because I was such a Stevie fan and Lindsey had made his choice. I would like to have seen a few more albums with Stevie, Rick and Billy. I think the music the band made on Behind the Mask was really good.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-14-2021, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I remember them opening with In the Back of my mind in Pittsburgh. I absolutely loved it as an opener. I actually enjoyed the shows with Billy and Rick in the band. I remember at the time not being that upset that Lindsey had left the band. Probably because I was such a Stevie fan and Lindsey had made his choice. I would like to have seen a few more albums with Stevie, Rick and Billy. I think the music the band made on Behind the Mask was really good.
Oh me too, me too. That album seemed like the beginning of something great.

Hoping Mick's ongoing Dadaism project sees more Rick/Bekka type collaborations.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My feelings too. They really worked well together as 6-piece group and I did not miss Lindsey at all, I was eager to hear what music would pop up to fill the time he would have taken up on albums and concert sets.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was at that show. I had seats behind Christine. If you remember, the concert was supposed to be in July at the (new) Starlake Amphitheater. I had great seats for that show but it was rescheduled to November that year. Glad they kept the date. Like you, I found this concert one of my all time favorites if not all time favorite Mac show. I like and prefer Lindsey much more but there was something magical about the band playing and promoting new music that featured all of them together. Chris was the ring leader because too many other members had issues.
Sadly if you remember, the arena had the entire balcony empty and they probably played to a house of about 9,000 people

Trivia question: Do you remember who Stevie dedicated Landslide to that night? I don't remember the actual name but will give you credit who it was in Stevie's life.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was at that show. I had seats behind Christine. If you remember, the concert was supposed to be in July at the (new) Starlake Amphitheater. I had great seats for that show but it was rescheduled to November that year. Glad they kept the date. Like you, I found this concert one of my all time favorites if not all time favorite Mac show. I like and prefer Lindsey much more but there was something magical about the band playing and promoting new music that featured all of them together. Chris was the ring leader because too many other members had issues.
Sadly if you remember, the arena had the entire balcony empty and they probably played to a house of about 9,000 people

Trivia question: Do you remember who Stevie dedicated Landslide to that night? I don't remember the actual name but will give you credit who it was in Stevie's life.
Wasn't it her Dad's retired secretary? I can't remember her name though.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also, as you pointed out yourself, Storms was dropped because of the lackluster audience response, and Stevie sang that song. So people probably went to the bathroom then as well.
I don't remember a lackluster response or people going to the bathroom during Storms at the Unleashed tour Dallas 2009, but I was at first front row so I don't know what happened at grandstands where sure there were more "casual fans".

I do remember I went to the bathroom during Go Insane in NYC 1997, because (though I like the song) it was the least interesting to me for a FM concert. And because of the several beers I drank.

The following concerts I went, I changed several beers for a few Chardonnays, and didn't miss any song.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I don't remember a lackluster response or people going to the bathroom during Storms at the Unleashed tour Dallas 2009, but I was at first front row so I don't know what happened at grandstands where sure there were more "casual fans".

I do remember I went to the bathroom during Go Insane in NYC 1997, because (though I like the song) it was the least interesting to me for a FM concert. And because of the several beers I drank.
And Stevie never dropped Storms during Unleashed.

I'm recalling people leaving their seats during Go Insane on Unleashed.