Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They were in a bitter lawsuit in 1997. After the lawsuit was settled, Bob reconciled with Mick and was on friendly terms with him for the rest of his life.

I got the impression Bob never really reconciled with the McVies, though. I wonder if he and Christine could have patched things up if she hadn’t retired?

Mick was the only one from the SYW lineup who agreed to play a benefit Bob was trying to organize for Wendy. Bob sang Mick’s praises and was livid with Stevie and Lindsey for declining on this message board.
Wasn't the lawsuit filed before 1997? I think it was in the heat of things and near settlement by 1997? I could be wrong but my memory is the suit was filed far before The Dance rebounded the band. I seem to remember Bob was not trolling them for their new success. Am I wrong? Did Bob jump at the Dance success? Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember the lawsuit came at the worst time for the band when the band was sort of over and even solo careers had dried up. How much could Bob have really been asking for? Prior to 1997 (when all Mac albums started selling again), there were few Gold albums if any with the Mac in his era. Now they are pretty much all Gold. It would have cost the band more money to defend in court than pay what he was asking for. Maybe the band was right and that is why they fought Bob so much? In any event, no reason he should have been on stage with them.

Btw
Check this out at 5:20. Bob is cut off the photo of the album. The announcer states the Mac was looking for a front man and found Lindsey. No mention how Bob was a front man and left. Earlier in the segment, it mentions the other members. Its laughable how this segment was put together. Lindsey and Stevie magically appear in the band. This segment says there was no Bob Welch and the band came to America and hired Stevie and Lindsey. Seriously man, this is what the petty Van Halen brothers did to Michael Anthony. They tried to erase him from the band's history on their website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVnX0BtYOQ

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-24-2022 at 06:51 AM..
Old 02-24-2022, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
They are horrible, petty, bitter people, with zero honor.
Didn't Bob have a story on his website where he ran into Lindsey at a bar or restaurant shortly after he left and they were recording the White Album and Lindsey asked him "How the hell did you stand to be around these people"
Old 02-24-2022, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Didn't Bob have a story on his website where he ran into Lindsey at a bar or restaurant shortly after he left and they were recording the White Album and Lindsey asked him "How the hell did you stand to be around these people"
Yes. I've heard that story before. Something about Christine was a lot to take.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wasn't the lawsuit filed before 1997?
The lawsuit was filed before 1997, but it was still going in 1998, during Bob’s first Q&A.

1997 was really the beginning of a grand revision of the band’s history. Bob and Billy were continually glossed over. It’s also when the “Lindsey said he wouldn’t join without Stevie” story started to become embellished. It was very frustrating for longtime fans.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-24-2022, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The lawsuit was filed before 1997, but it was still going in 1998, during Bob’s first Q&A.

1997 was really the beginning of a grand revision of the band’s history. Bob and Billy were continually glossed over. It’s also when the “Lindsey said he wouldn’t join without Stevie” story started to become embellished. It was very frustrating for longtime fans.
Which shows (in my book) that Bob was not trolling the band for the insane success of The Dance. He wanted royalties of albums that were not overly successful. Good grief what's the most he could have asked for? 500k? And probably would have settled for $300k

You are correct. Good memory, the reunion of 1997 the Stevie story was embellished. I forgot about that.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-24-2022 at 06:16 PM..
Old 03-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This story breaks my heart in so many ways.

Welch is Fleetwood Mac to me as much as anyone, I love what I have been calling the Fleetwood Mac Yacht Rock era of late. I find the combo of Welch and Chris tracks irresistible.

I’ve been listening to Bob Welch and Friends Live from the Roxy, which has Chris, Mick and John. It’s such a bummer to think about the relationship deteriorating after that point.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

If you asked me what my favorite Fleetwood Mac era is, I'd answer the Bob Welch years, without a moment's hesitation. I would throw Rumours in the dustbin happily as long as I could keep my copy of Mystery To Me.
If I’m gonna do that with Rumours, it would have to be Heroes Are Hard to Find for me.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Bare Trees is the ultimate Fleetwood Mac album. It has the boogie of the Peter Green days and the bubblegum of the California years.

I wish they would have played "Sentimental Lady" over "Hypnotized" in 2018-19 since everyone knows it, even if they don't know who did it or who originally did it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-09-2022, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For me, Bare Trees is the ultimate Fleetwood Mac album. It has the boogie of the Peter Green days and the bubblegum of the California years.

I wish they would have played "Sentimental Lady" over "Hypnotized" in 2018-19 since everyone knows it, even if they don't know who did it or who originally did it.
Hypnotized is a much cooler song. That drum beat is one of a kind!
Old 03-09-2022, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

They only played Hypnotized a few times before dropping it. They may have also dropped Sentimental Lady. As much as I love the songs, I dont think I would appreciate the rage that would come over me after what they put Bob through to perform his songs. It was bad enough they were doing Lindsey songs

On another note, the original Sentimental Lady is very similar to the one recorded later with Lindsey producing it. Imagine if the original song charted half as good as the second try. That could have really changed the Fleetwood Mac formula. As Lindsey said: OMG, Fleetwood Mac with hits! Would have Bob stayed? Would he still left? It would have been a big deal for the band to have a hit song in the States.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-09-2022 at 04:48 PM..
Old 03-10-2022, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Hypnotized is a much cooler song. That drum beat is one of a kind!
I don’t disagree, but Sentimental Lady was a Top 10 hit that’s still pretty well known.

Quote:
They only played Hypnotized a few times before dropping it. They may have also dropped Sentimental Lady.
I saw them play it and was at the first show without it. They did a fantastic job with it.

Sentimental Lady was a massive hit. If it came after Dreams in the setlist, people would have been singing along.
Quote:
As much as I love the songs, I dont think I would appreciate the rage that would come over me after what they put Bob through to perform his songs. It was bad enough they were doing Lindsey songs :eek
Bob reconciled with Mick, so I don’t know why you’d be angry when Bob wouldn’t have been angry?

Bob’s music is all we have left of him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-10-2022, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob reconciled with Mick, so I don’t know why you’d be angry when Bob wouldn’t have been angry?

Because I am a bitter, angry person