Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Everywhere is a huge hit on Tango too.
Absolutely.

It reached 14 in the US and 4 in the UK, the highest charting hit in the latter for this record. It was released third in both countries. The band (or the label) chose the same release pattern as Rumours— Lindsey, Stevie, Christine, Christine.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 08-04-2022 at 11:07 PM..
Old 08-05-2022, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Everywhere is a huge hit on Tango too.
Oops, yes thanks John.
There I go acting peculiarly again!
Old 08-05-2022, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Oops, yes thanks John.
There I go acting peculiarly again!
That's why you're his temporary one.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Everywhere was a huge hit in Europe. Besides the UK it was #1 in Belgium, #2 in Ireland, and #3 in the Netherlands.

There is a youtube video of On With The Show tour in Ireland. The crowd is singing along to Everywhere so loud that its almost overpowering the band. Gives me goosebumps.

Rumour has it that word of Lindsey's quitting the band got to Belgium sort of late due to a newspaper strike in 1987. Once the news broke, it propelled Everywhere to the #1 spot and remains Fleetwood Mac's only #1 song in Belgium.

The Mac's highest charting single Dreams in the states only charted at #25 in Belgium and #8 in the Netherlands. Everywhere was mopping the floor with Dreams in Europe.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-05-2022 at 05:44 AM..
Old 08-05-2022, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's why you're his temporary one.
or his little demon…
Old 08-05-2022, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Rumour has it that word of Lindsey's quitting the band got to Belgium sort of late due to a newspaper strike in 1987. Once the news broke, it propelled Everywhere to the #1 spot and remains Fleetwood Mac's only #1 song in Belgium.
Oh boy. What you just said here pretty much makes Steve’s point about how Lindsey leaving FM helped propel Little Lies to be a big hit. You just said about Everywhere what he said about Little Lies.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Everywhere was a huge hit in Europe. Besides the UK it was #1 in Belgium, #2 in Ireland, and #3 in the Netherlands.

There is a youtube video of On With The Show tour in Ireland. The crowd is singing along to Everywhere so loud that its almost overpowering the band. Gives me goosebumps.

The Mac's highest charting single Dreams in the states only charted at #25 in Belgium and #8 in the Netherlands. Everywhere was mopping the floor with Dreams in Europe.
Is this another dig, or are you serious? I didn't know this information. "newspaper strike" pushed me into believing this.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh boy. What you just said here pretty much makes Steve’s point about how Lindsey leaving FM helped propel Little Lies to be a big hit. You just said about Everywhere what he said about Little Lies.
Exactly.
These hits would never have been successful without Lindsey leaving. Too bad Christine's leaving did not have the same effect on Say You Will.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Exactly.
These hits would never have been successful without Lindsey leaving. Too bad Christine's leaving did not have the same effect on Say You Will.
Damn it!! I fell for it.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Wow, the lengths you’re going with this are ridiculous.

You’re saying that a longtime guitarist/singer/songwriter/producer, who’d just had a top five hit months earlier, leaving one of the biggest rock bands in the world while they’re actively promoting a successful album, becoming one of the top stories in the music press, had zero impact on the success of the single that was released less than two weeks after the announcement, that the song and album didn’t get a bump because of any of that.

You’d have to be intentionally obtuse to believe that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-05-2022, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly.
That's because SYW is a TURD. If they'd cut it down to 10 songs, it would have done much better. AND they were just too old for a big album(although the Eagles LROOE debuted at #1, four years after SYW. Face it, the Eagles are more popular than our band).
Old 08-05-2022, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I ask, was the success of a song (especially in the 80s) based mostly on the fans, or the general public? I think the second. And I'm sure a lot of people who listened to Little Lies or Everywhere on the radio that year didn't know about the complete lineup of the band or its history. It was 1987, not 1977 and in 10 years many things change.

So I don't think Lindsey's departure benefit the popularity of Christine's songs so much.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I ask, was the success of a song (especially in the 80s) based mostly on the fans, or the general public? I think the second. And I'm sure a lot of people who listened to Little Lies or Everywhere on the radio that year didn't know about the complete lineup of the band or its history. It was 1987, not 1977 and in 10 years many things change.

So I don't think Lindsey's departure benefit the popularity of Christine's songs so much.
I agree.

Before the infernets, I'd think most people didn't have a clue what was going on. I saw the Tango tour(with the farthest back seats in the house). For the first few songs, I couldn't even tell that it wasn't Lindsey. Ahh, to be young and dumb again....
Old 08-05-2022, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree.

I couldn't even tell that it wasn't Lindsey. Ahh, to be young and dumb again....
Confess the real reason (cheers!!! )
Old 08-05-2022, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Before the infernets, I'd think most people didn't have a clue what was going on. I saw the Tango tour(with the farthest back seats in the house). For the first few songs, I couldn't even tell that it wasn't Lindsey. Ahh, to be young and dumb again....
I remember finding out Lindsey quit when I read about it on the front page of USA Today’s Entertainment section. It got a ton of press in the papers, probably shows like Entertainment Tonight, and certainly it was talked about on MTV and VH 1. MTV even had a weekly ‘news’ program dedicated to news about music. And everytime a Vee Jay (remember that term lol) introduced Little Lies, his departure was mentioned. Even pre-internet, it was big news.