User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Buckingham has mentioned in a few interviews that he did not immediately start work on his solo album after his departure from Fleetwood Mac, although he still spent a considerable amount of time developing it, often spending 11-12 hours a day in the studio. Perhaps if he was more efficient, he could have managed a late 1990 release., but the album certainly benefited form a long gestation period. It's a great collection of songs.
When I looked up his sales a few days ago, OOTC had his WORST sales. How is that possible? I mean, I'm a Law and Order guy myself, but OOTC deserved recognition. If he'd put it out 5 years earlier, I think it would've been a hit.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango/OOTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I just played this entire album from front to back. It really is an amazing collection of songs.Lindsey should have released this album in 1989 on the heels of Tango in the Night. It would have done so much better and would have gotten a lot more air play. Countdown and Soul Drifter should have been big hits.
Tango started out as a Lindsey’s solo album that became an FM album (presumably to get Mick out of bankruptcy). If it stayed a solo album released in 1987/1988, it could have had the Tango songs (Big Love, Tango, Caroline, Family Man) along with some selections from OOTC (he stated that he wrote Soul Drifter in his bedroom when other band members were in the studio in his house). This might have been the springboard for a more commercial success prior to the “grunge” era of the early 90’s. Timing never worked out for Lindsey. However, the three carthartic years that he spent on OOTC made it the album that it is - in my opinion, his magnum opus.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This album is very special to me. Its a fantastic album. But it was released the summer I graduated from college. I was moving all around and songs like Soul Drifter became my theme song. I had the cassette in my 1985 Pontiac Grand Am and it stayed in my tape deck all year. Listening to it really brings me back. Wrong was an incredible video that blew up MTV at the time.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This album is very special to me. Its a fantastic album. But it was released the summer I graduated from college. I was moving all around and songs like Soul Drifter became my theme song. I had the cassette in my 1985 Pontiac Grand Am and it stayed in my tape deck all year. Listening to it really brings me back. Wrong was an incredible video that blew up MTV at the time.
It’s a masterpiece for sure. Can you imagine if Lindsey stayed in the band and this was a follow up to Tango with a MAC album with songs from the ladies like

Rooms on Fire
Juliet
Long Way to Go
As Long As I Follow
Nights in Estroil
Hollywood ….
As Buckingham produced tracks!
Old 01-07-2024, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But it makes me kind of feel sorry for him. He deserved that mass appeal, but never really tried to court it. So I guess it's his own fault. Weird is never going to appeal to the masses, I guess.
I've always wondered, did he think it would, back in the beginning of his solo work??

Quote:
When I looked up his sales a few days ago, OOTC had his WORST sales. How is that possible? I mean, I'm a Law and Order guy myself, but OOTC deserved recognition. If he'd put it out 5 years earlier, I think it would've been a hit.
I've also always wondered how his solo career would have gone if OOTC had been his very first solo album....And if he'd been more willing to play the PR game then the way he's come around to it (in his own way at least) now....

I think it's his best solo album.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The musical landscape changed and he was a out of the public sphere for five years, which is a long time in music. "Wrong", "Countdown", and "Soul Drifter" achieved minor airplay, but none of them were hits. His first two albums, while not massive smashes, had at least one top 40 single to buoy the album. By the time Buckingham was on the road touring the album, Out of the Cradle was no longer on the charts.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just played this entire album from front to back. It really is an amazing collection of songs.Lindsey should have released this album in 1989 on the heels of Tango in the Night. It would have done so much better and would have gotten a lot more air play. Countdown and Soul Drifter should have been big hits.
My favorite solo album of all Fleetwood Mac members. Actually it's the only one I enjoy to play entirely.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
My favorite solo album of all Fleetwood Mac members. Actually it's the only one I enjoy to play entirely.
Now, I’m going to say something that I hope doesn’t get me in trouble.

The cover sucks.

And something else.

I could have done without “This Is the Time.”

Other than that, I love a lot of ballads here: “All My Sorrows,” “Soul Drifter,” “You Do or You Don’t,” “Surrender the Rain,” “Say We’ll Meet Again.” This album has his best batch of ballads since Tusk.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2024, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The cover sucks.
Oh I agree with that. My first impression was that Lindsey looked like an addict or a psychopath.

And that haircut. I never liked his Go Insane and OOTC haircut.

Even in some Tango pictures he got that cylindrical haircut. Was he trying to imitate Grace Jones?

Old 01-08-2024, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It’s a masterpiece for sure. Can you imagine if Lindsey stayed in the band and this was a follow up to Tango with a MAC album with songs from the ladies like

Rooms on Fire
Juliet
Long Way to Go
As Long As I Follow
Nights in Estroil
Hollywood ….
As Buckingham produced tracks!
I love Rooms on Fire, Long Way to Go, and As Long As You follow as they are, and I don’t know that Lindsey could have improved them. He’s produced some incredible songs, but some losers too, such as When I See You Again and Family Man, so I’m fine that other folks produced those songs. Save Me, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, ALAYF, Behind the Mask, etc shows that Christine especially was able to record some incredible songs that weren’t as dependent on his excellent studio skills, unlike Stevie.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Heresy!!!

Maybe the best song on the album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-08-2024, 06:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Now, I’m going to say something that I hope doesn’t get me in trouble.

The cover sucks.

And something else.

Other than that, I love a lot of ballads here: “All My Sorrows,” “Soul Drifter,” “You Do or You Don’t,” “Surrender the Rain,” “Say We’ll Meet Again.” This album has his best batch of ballads since Tusk.
Most of Buckingham's album covers are rather lackluster, but Out of the Cradle and the moody Go Insane are the exceptions. Buckingham should be more willing to feature artwork on his album covers as opposed to bizarre angles of his face

As for "This is the Time", I prefer the live version, although the studio recording is more than sufficient.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Heresy!!!

Maybe the best song on the album.
This Is The Time was initially my favorite too (though You Do Or You Don't soon grew to be my favorite). Can't imagine the album without it. It's Tango In The Night's younger, fiestier, crazier brother.

My heresy is that I'm not a fan of the schmaltzy old world charm of Say We'll Meet Again, and was bothered by its inclusion as the closing track on Solo Anthology.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
This Is The Time was initially my favorite too (though You Do Or You Don't soon grew to be my favorite). Can't imagine the album without it. It's Tango In The Night's younger, fiestier, crazier brother.

My heresy is that I'm not a fan of the schmaltzy old world charm of Say We'll Meet Again, and was bothered by its inclusion as the closing track on Solo Anthology.
I love that one, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-08-2024, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember stumbling on OOTC at a music store. Because it got almost zero promotion or airplay, and because I hadn’t watched music television in a few years (had been in the Deep South in grad school, going to blues and zydeco bars!), I didn’t even know he’d released the project.

I brought the disc home, played it, and within the first four seconds I was hooked. I couldn’t believe how good it was!

It still blows me away. Law and Order remains my favorite, and Gift of Screws has its moments, but OOTC is, as you all have mentioned, his greatest achievement.