User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Stevie singing Fireflies in 2018 would have been a travesty wrapped in a fiasco.
It is on the 50 Years Don't Stop compilation.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It is on the 50 Years Don't Stop compilation.
It was released as a single, hence it’s inclusion.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-07-2023, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Heart of Stone, Straight Back would make my life!
It made me sad that when I saw your post, my mind automatically said “would have made my life.”

Of the three Rumours singers, Christine was the only one whose later material was as good, and in some case even better than her earlier stuff. I noticed you mentioned Heart of Stone, which was a song recorded much later, and Straight Back, which was recorded 10 years earlier. As Long As You Follow, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Save Me, Behind the Mask, Skies the Limit, Carnival Begin, Game of Pretend, heck even I Do were incredible songs, any of which I would have loved to have heard live; yet ironically except for Save Me, they didn’t perform any of those songs Neither Lindsey or Stevie were consistently fantastic after Tango (or even Mirage, if I’m being honest) like Christine was.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It made me sad that when I saw your post, my mind automatically said “would have made my life.”

Of the three Rumours singers, Christine was the only one whose later material was as good, and in some case even better than her earlier stuff. I noticed you mentioned Heart of Stone, which was a song recorded much later, and Straight Back, which was recorded 10 years earlier. As Long As You Follow, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Save Me, Behind the Mask, Skies the Limit, Carnival Begin, Game of Pretend, heck even I Do were incredible songs, any of which I would have loved to have heard live; yet ironically except for Save Me, they didn’t perform any of those songs Neither Lindsey or Stevie were consistently fantastic after Tango (or even Mirage, if I’m being honest) like Christine was.
Christine performed Game of Pretend at every show in 2017; Fleetwood Mac never performed Game of Pretend live.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine performed Game of Pretend at every show in 2017; Fleetwood Mac never performed Game of Pretend live.
After you said that, I remembered it was the last two songs from the Buck/Vie album that weren’t played live, which were Carnival Begin and On With the Show. For some reason I was thinking Carnival Begin and Game of Pretend were the last two songs on the album.

Thanks for the correction!
Old 01-07-2023, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of the three Rumours singers, Christine was the only one whose later material was as good, and in some case even better than her earlier stuff.

Neither Lindsey or Stevie were consistently fantastic after Tango (or even Mirage, if I’m being honest) like Christine was.
I'm sorry, nothing against Christine but the above is just not the case because–if nothing else–Christine didn't "consistently" release material post-1987. One song on Greatest Hits, her contributions to Behind The Mask and to Time (her contributions to Time were "fantastic"?), "Temporary One" (fantastic?), In The Meantime, and Buckingham McVie. That is not consistent output – and I would argue not "fantastic" output either, though that much is a matter of opinion.

Compare the above to Lindsey's contributions to SYW, Extended Play, Buckingham McVie, his rejected '95 album (some of which is on YT), OOTC, and his 2006-present solo albums. Lindsey is the only one with consistent post-Tango output at all, much less the only one with post-Tango output that is consistently good (not fantastic, but solidly good).

As for Christine's post '70's material being better than her '70s songs? Again I'm sorry, but I find the suggestion absurd. I love "Little Lies" and can appreciate why others love "Everywhere." But compared to "Over My Head" "Say You Love Me" "Songbird" and "You Make Loving Fun"? Not even close. And the idea that any of her post-'87 material (including that on BM, and yes I think "CB" is great) is as good or better than her material from 1975-79 such as the four songs referenced above? Again, I find such a suggestion absurd.

Last edited by cbBen; 01-07-2023 at 08:46 PM..
Old 01-07-2023, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Compare the above to Lindsey's contributions to SYW, Extended Play, Buckingham McVie, his rejected '95 album (some of which is on YT), OOTC, and his 2006-present solo albums. Lindsey is the only one with consistent post-Tango output at all, much less the only one with post-Tango output that is consistently good (not fantastic, but solidly good).
Stevie doesn't have consistent-post Tango output?
Other Side of The Mirror, TimeSpace Songs, Street Angel, Trouble in Shangri-La, Say You Will, In Your Dreams, 24 Karat Gold, and Show Them the Way
Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie doesn't have consistent-post Tango output?
Other Side of The Mirror, TimeSpace Songs, Street Angel, Trouble in Shangri-La, Say You Will, In Your Dreams, 24 Karat Gold, and Show Them the Way
I think just about everything Christine released from Tango on was better than anything Stevie released from Tango on. Remember, I said “consistently fantastic.” I don’t think anything on any of Stevie’s albums since Rock a Little, with the exception of maybe three songs, is better than any of the songs by Christine during that era.

Except for Temporary One- ugh, that was a dud.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I'm sorry, nothing against Christine but the above is just not the case because–if nothing else–Christine didn't "consistently" release material post-1987. One song on Greatest Hits, her contributions to Behind The Mask and to Time (her contributions to Time were "fantastic"?), "Temporary One" (fantastic?), In The Meantime, and Buckingham McVie. That is not consistent output – and I would argue not "fantastic" output either, though that much is a matter of opinion.

As for Christine's post '70's material being better than her '70s songs? Again I'm sorry, but I find the suggestion absurd. I love "Little Lies" and can appreciate why others love "Everywhere." But compared to "Over My Head" "Say You Love Me" "Songbird" and "You Make Loving Fun"? Not even close. And the idea that any of her post-'87 material (including that on BM, and yes I think "CB" is great) is as good or better than her material from 1975-79 such as the four songs referenced above? Again, I find such a suggestion absurd.
Just to be clear, I said “consistently fantastic.” If you prefer Stevie’s Show Me the Way, For What It’s Worth, Jane, her remakes of Gypsy and Crystal, and Your Hand I Will Never Let Go to anything Christine did during that same period, that’s your right. I just disagree. Music is subjective.

I like Christine’s earlier material, but there is a growth in her songwriting that I think is lacking in the other two songwriters.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just to be clear, I said “consistently fantastic.” If you prefer Stevie’s Show Me the Way, For What It’s Worth, Jane, her remakes of Gypsy and Crystal, and Your Hand I Will Never Let Go to anything Christine did during that same period, that’s your right. I just disagree. Music is subjective.

I like Christine’s earlier material, but there is a growth in her songwriting that I think is lacking in the other two songwriters.
wait, wait, what? what? Have I missed something? Her remake of Gypsy??
Old 01-07-2023, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wait, wait, what? what? Have I missed something? Her remake of Gypsy??
Are we talking about that dreadful plink plonk plink plonk thing she did at the piano?
Old 01-07-2023, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Are we talking about that dreadful plink plonk plink plonk thing she did at the piano?
Yes, that’s the one I was referring to. But apparently some people like it
Old 01-07-2023, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, that’s the one I was referring to. But apparently some people like it
Oh the Facebook comments when that monotonous mess gets posted are always top of the line. “My queen slayyyyying this one!!” Please, slaughtering is more applicable.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think just about everything Christine released from Tango on was better than anything Stevie released from Tango on. Remember, I said “consistently fantastic.” I don’t think anything on any of Stevie’s albums since Rock a Little, with the exception of maybe three songs, is better than any of the songs by Christine during that era.

Except for Temporary One- ugh, that was a dud.
I know, I wasn't replying to you.
What three songs post Rock A Little would you say for Stevie are better than Christine's post Tango songs?

Show Them The Way, Blue Denim, and Trouble in Shangri-La?

I love Temporary One. It's so fast and the harmonies are wonderful, though I think Sweet Girl has the best FM harmonies.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know, I wasn't replying to you.
What three songs post Rock A Little would you say for Stevie are better than Christine's post Tango songs?

Show Them The Way, Blue Denim, and Trouble in Shangri-La?

I love Temporary One. It's so fast and the harmonies are wonderful, though I think Sweet Girl has the best FM harmonies.
Since Rock a Little, Rooms on Fire, the long version of Planets of the Universe, Moonlight, and Secret Love. So four songs, I guess. And then with Fleetwood Mac, Thrown Down is my favorite Stevie song since Tango. And considering Stevie has released so many albums compared to Christine, that’s a pretty poor showing. I no longer even have the last few albums by Stevie. You mentioned Blue Denim and Trouble in Shangri-La- are they some of your favorites? I thought they were ok, I didn’t dislike them at all but I found them unmemorable. Show Them the Way IMO, is really really bad. Right up there with What’s the Matter Baby.

For me, in terms of the songs themselves, Stevie’s material got worse as time went on; Lindsey’s material was pretty much the same, i.e. consistent but little growth; and Christine’s material matured. From her early pre-Buckingham Nicks material through FM itself, through her last album, her songwriting matured in a way that I really enjoyed. Comparing Save Me and As Long As You Follow to Over My Head and Spare Me a Little, I see a growth that appeals to me. I love a lot of her early stuff- I just also love a lot of her later stuff just as much, which I can’t say about Stevie.