User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Actually, she was the bigger drunk when they married. His drinking wasn’t a problem in their relationship until after Peter left, and maybe more like after Jeremy disappeared.

But, initially, he’s the one who had to tell her to calm down with the drinking.

Still, I’d love nothing more than the current lineup, sans Stevie, do a Bare Trees 50th Anniversary Tour.
Well, she managed to get it under control. John went off the deep end.

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. That album, NEVER HAPPENED.
#revisionistFMhistory
Old 01-31-2022, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob and Wendy's grave, for anyone who's interested or not seen it..

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...08/wendy-welch

I can't find much about the final resting places of Bob Weston, Bob Brunning, Danny Kirwan and Peter Green
Old 02-01-2022, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The relevant question as I see it is what music caused the induction to occur in the first place.

In the case of FM they inducted the Then Play On and Rumours lineups. All else aside, it is the music of those lineups that caused the Hall to induct the group.

Without the original lineup of Jefferson Airplane, there would have been no Surrealistic Pillow lineup. But it is the latter lineup whose music motivated the Hall to honor the group, and ergot the only lineup it inducted.

Last edited by cbBen; 02-01-2022 at 07:26 PM..
Old 02-01-2022, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The flip side, though, is that the Hall used to have a list of essential songs by the artist and “Sentimental Lady” and “Hypnotized” were mentioned. Also, Welch is discussed in the Hall’s essay on the band.

I think Bob Welch, Billy Burnette, and Rick Vito should have been inducted, too (Welch more so). They all had top 40 albums during their time in the band.

That said, they had the six most important members on stage.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-03-2022, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
The flip side, though, is that the Hall used to have a list of essential songs by the artist and “Sentimental Lady” and “Hypnotized” were mentioned. Also, Welch is discussed in the Hall’s essay on the band.

I think Bob Welch, Billy Burnette, and Rick Vito should have been inducted, too (Welch more so). They all had top 40 albums during their time in the band.

That said, they had the six most important members on stage.
I don't disagree with what you said. However Bob was one of the most pivotal members and first American. He definitely put his stamp on the band that made it easier to transition to the Buck/Nicks era. Wasn't Heroes the first Mac album to make it in the top 40 albums in the States. Nothing against Rick and Billy but they stepped into an established supergroup to keep it afloat.

IMHO. The most important Mac members:
1. Peter Green
2 Mick Fleetwood
3. John McVie
4. Christine McVie
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Bob Welch
7. Jeremy, Bob Weston, Danny Kirwin

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-03-2022 at 07:08 AM..
Old 02-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Nothing against Rick and Billy but they stepped into an established supergroup to keep it afloat.
Thing is, I kind of feel the same way about Jeremy and Danny. While Danny was arguably the most pivotal guitarist in the band’s history, Peter was the star of Fleetwood Mac, and Danny and Jeremy were mostly side show.

Quote:
IMHO. The most important Mac members:
1. Peter Green
2 Mick Fleetwood
3. John McVie
4. Christine McVie
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Bob Welch
7. Jeremy, Bob Weston, Danny Kirwin
I notice you have one glaring omission

My list:
1. Mick Fleetwood
2. John McVie
3. Christine McVie
4. Stevie Nicks
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Peter Green
7. Bob Welch
8. Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, Billy Burnette
9. Bob Weston, Rick Vito

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-03-2022, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thing is, I kind of feel the same way about Jeremy and Danny. While Danny was arguably the most pivotal guitarist in the band’s history, Peter was the star of Fleetwood Mac, and Danny and Jeremy were mostly side show.

I notice you have one glaring omission

My list:
1. Mick Fleetwood
2. John McVie
3. Christine McVie
4. Stevie Nicks
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Peter Green
7. Bob Welch
8. Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, Billy Burnette
9. Bob Weston, Rick Vito
My list was created based on impact on sound of the band. While Ms Nicks is a fantastic song writer with incredible star power, she did not impact the band with sound musically. She does not play an instrument and is not a producer. Her voice is unique and does have a sound though. The band changed over the years since 1967. 3 HUGE sound changes. 1 Christine joins 2 Bob Welch joins 3 Lindsey and Stevie join

If my list was with songwriters, she would be near the top. Even though Nicks had some huge hits with the Mac, the band would have still been successful without her if only Lindsey joined.

I should have described "important" when I made the list.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-03-2022 at 03:01 PM..
Old 02-19-2022, 07:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

I wish I would have asked Bob if Danny Kirwan played on “Sentimental Lady”.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
I wish I would have asked Bob if Danny Kirwan played on “Sentimental Lady”.
The solo through the Leslie was Danny.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-20-2022, 09:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The solo through the Leslie was Danny.
That’s what I always thought too. Is that written/quoted somewhere or just an educated guess?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn’t Bob’s absence in the induction directly connected to the foundation’s executive board? That board gets final say, although apparently it isn’t very consistent with its decisions. The most Mick and Chris could have done was issue a “recommendation.” The board used to include Jan Wenner and thirteen other people, including Robert Hilburn, who is still part of it. Those fourteen people in 1998 decided that Welch and his Fleetwood Mac work weren’t Hall caliber, according to clippings at the time. I can easily see (and understand) how critics like Hilburn would scoff at the idea of inducting Welch for 1971–74, regardless of the esteem in which some of us fans hold those years. It really all makes a certain amount of sense in Fleetwood Mac’s case (though not in other cases, like the Crickets and the Miracles).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-23-2022, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Wasn’t Bob’s absence in the induction directly connected to the foundation’s executive board? That board gets final say, although apparently it isn’t very consistent with its decisions. The most Mick and Chris could have done was issue a “recommendation.” The board used to include Jan Wenner and thirteen other people, including Robert Hilburn, who is still part of it. Those fourteen people in 1998 decided that Welch and his Fleetwood Mac work weren’t Hall caliber, according to clippings at the time. I can easily see (and understand) how critics like Hilburn would scoff at the idea of inducting Welch for 1971–74, regardless of the esteem in which some of us fans hold those years. It really all makes a certain amount of sense in Fleetwood Mac’s case (though not in other cases, like the Crickets and the Miracles).
That could be true. But other bands have included everyone. The band does have a say though. Didn't the original and long time Blondie drummer show up at the RRHOF when Blondie was inducted and for whatever reason, Deborah Harry did not allow him to be inducted or even play. I seem to remember clip of him running on stage and begging Deborah to let him play with the band.
I also would believe Bob and Bob's wife for what they said. But even more profound was how Bob was magically erased from the band's history on the 1997 segment: Behind The Music. All other band members were featured and discussed their contributions and reasons for leaving. Bob is not mentioned at all. His leaving was the vacuum that led to Stevie and Lindsey joining. Even worse, when the album Heroes Are Hard To Find is discussed, Bob is purposely cut off the back cover. They went to great lengths to not only not mention his name, but not show his photo on an album. Someone with the band (Mick) had to have creative control over this to do such things. So if the band would not let him be part of the legacy on Behind The Music, it would make sense for them to block Bob from the hall.
It just sickens me how much praise Mick writes and talks of Bob today. Some people have no shame.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That could be true. But other bands have included everyone. The band does have a say though. Didn't the original and long time Blondie drummer show up at the RRHOF when Blondie was inducted and for whatever reason, Deborah Harry did not allow him to be inducted or even play. I seem to remember clip of him running on stage and begging Deborah to let him play with the band.
I also would believe Bob and Bob's wife for what they said. But even more profound was how Bob was magically erased from the band's history on the 1997 segment: Behind The Music. All other band members were featured and discussed their contributions and reasons for leaving. Bob is not mentioned at all. His leaving was the vacuum that led to Stevie and Lindsey joining. Even worse, when the album Heroes Are Hard To Find is discussed, Bob is purposely cut off the back cover. They went to great lengths to not only not mention his name, but not show his photo on an album. Someone with the band (Mick) had to have creative control over this to do such things. So if the band would not let him be part of the legacy on Behind The Music, it would make sense for them to block Bob from the hall.
It just sickens me how much praise Mick writes and talks of Bob today. Some people have no shame.
They are horrible, petty, bitter people, with zero honor.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very weird that Bob was omitted from the Hall of Fame, but I personally don't care who's in the H of F. I have my own H of F which includes a lot of musicians who are totally under the radar as far as general popularity goes.

If you asked me what my favorite Fleetwood Mac era is, I'd answer the Bob Welch years, without a moment's hesitation. I would throw Rumours in the dustbin happily as long as I could keep my copy of Mystery To Me.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They were in a bitter lawsuit in 1997. After the lawsuit was settled, Bob reconciled with Mick and was on friendly terms with him for the rest of his life.

I got the impression Bob never really reconciled with the McVies, though. I wonder if he and Christine could have patched things up if she hadn’t retired?

Mick was the only one from the SYW lineup who agreed to play a benefit Bob was trying to organize for Wendy. Bob sang Mick’s praises and was livid with Stevie and Lindsey for declining on this message board.

THE Stephen Hopkins