The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

I never noticed the massive amount of reverb on the snare drum for Oh Daddy. Hearing the instrumental track allows you to appreciate some of those nuances.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
At college, a teacher once said that whisky and milk are kind of acquired tastes
Your college teacher must not have been Irish.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I LOATHE both coffee and cigarettes. Both are disgusting. That is all.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I started to analyze why OD would represent the Fleetwood Mac sound. I got lost. But in the middle of that, I thought... Oh Daddy fits more into Tusk than Rumours.
Exactly. Silver Springs even fits better than Oh Daddy.

And I too(regardless of what Macfan says) don't HATE it...

Do you know why Think About Me is my favorite song? The beat.

Do you know why Oh Daddy is towards the bottom of my list? The beat. It's a f*cking Snoozeville song. Right there with Beautiful Child and Storms. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................
Old 07-14-2022, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Do you know why Oh Daddy is towards the bottom of my list? The beat. It's a f*cking Snoozeville song. Right there with Beautiful Child and Storms. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................
Yes the beat of TAM is amazing. The way the song opens with a drum punch grabs you right away.
Some were listing Mac's biggest hits that describe their sound the best. IMHO if you strip the singing, its Oh Daddy. The track has all the elements. Chris's playing organ is vintage. It could be on Mystery To Me. But the way Lindsey plays with Chris and the way they feed off each other is another brilliant element with the new members to the band. Its also a very classic mid 70s sound. Its one Chris's most creative organ tracks and that says a lot. Its a somber song from Chris which lures me in.
To find the best diamonds you have to dig a little deeper. To find the best gold you have to pan a little more intense. For far too many years I over looked the music of the song. Stevie even said that Oh Daddy is her favorite Chris track (take note bwboy). It makes me put on my Oh Daddy shawl and spin around the room.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
To find the best diamonds you have to dig a little deeper. To find the best gold you have to pan a little more intense. For far too many years I over looked the music of the song. Stevie even said that Oh Daddy is her favorite Chris track (take note bwboy). It makes me put on my Oh Daddy shawl and spin around the room.
Christine actually said something very similar once- “I’ve been searching for a pot of gold like the kind you find at the end of a rainbow.”

I could swear I read in an interview that Stevie thought Danny Kirwan wrote Oh Daddy.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be impossible to knock any of these songs off the list, just so many to choose from. That said, the list-maker inaccurately frames the pre- Buckingham Nicks days and leaves off some of her most brilliant work. At the very least, Why and Spare me A Little belong near the top. Christine made her stride much earlier in the band's history than 1975. As Long As You Follow is arguably her very best modern song, which I would group with the Tango Era. As for Rumours though, I think one song of each, but not both, would suffice, so I would keep Oh Daddy and You Make Loving Fun.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post

Right! I think there are no irish teachers in Peru! . But we peruvians were born loving pisco!

Old 07-14-2022, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Yes, you got a faint whiff of what I'm cooking. Exactly right the studio version of Silver Springs has that ultimate Fleetwood Mac sound. I think some were thinking I was saying the "SONG" Oh Daddy encompassed the band. Its not the song, but SOUND. No doubt Silver Springs has that dreamy, mystical sound with Chris and Lindsey playing around each other, Mick playing behind the beat, etc that screams Fleetwood Mac. Both songs are Rumours era cream of the crop.

Its like when the Beatles recorded a song they called their "Fleetwood mac" song. It was the sound that made them say that. There are other songs like Sugar Daddy, Warm Ways, etc that could also fit into this circle, meaning: They have the classic Mac sound with the marriage of Lindsey on guitar making them a bit more whimsical and polished. I know Waddy plays guitar on Sugar Daddy but I think you smell what I'm cooking. The Mac had their peak success in the 70s and after Rumours we only got faint tastes of this sound again since so much changes every band as we all rolled into the 1980s and beyond.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-14-2022 at 08:16 AM..
Old 07-14-2022, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay—enough is enough. You don’t have to love or even like Oh Daddy—but it fits beautifully on the record. To suggest that the twee studio version of Silver Springs fits better is madness. Silver Springs became a great song in 1997. It was rightfully an outtake in 1977. Oh Daddy, like it or not, is as iconic as Rhiannon—it has archetypal power, the story of a vulnerable woman forever searching for guidance and affection. It’s a song about loneliness and desperation as much as it is also intimate confession. And the chords! Such a great song!
Old 07-14-2022, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Okay—enough is enough.
Oh I really apologize. I will never share my opinion about Oh Daddy.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay—enough is enough. You don’t have to love or even like Oh Daddy—but it fits beautifully on the record. To suggest that the twee studio version of Silver Springs fits better is madness. Silver Springs became a great song in 1997. It was rightfully an outtake in 1977. Oh Daddy, like it or not, is as iconic as Rhiannon—it has archetypal power, the story of a vulnerable woman forever searching for guidance and affection. It’s a song about loneliness and desperation as much as it is also intimate confession. And the chords! Such a great song!
You almost had me right up until you said Oh Daddy was as iconic as Rhiannon.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh I really apologize. I will never share my opinion about Oh Daddy.
Thank you for being so accommodating
Old 07-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
You almost had me right up until you said Oh Daddy was as iconic as Rhiannon.
But it is in a completely different way. At least I think so
Old 07-14-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It's truly a beautiful piece of music. And the transition from OhDaddy to GDW is iconic. When you listen to this album in a side 1/side 2 format. It's nearly perfect. And Oh Daddy is exactly placed where it should be. And I truly believe it stands on it's own. I think one or two of the other members said it's their favorite Christine song. I get it.

And I think you have to get it, in order to like it.

Apology accepted.