Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just my own little suggestion (and pet peeve).

Try to find the original CD release of Walls & Bridges...the recent remaster/reissue has been Yoko-tampered, removing May Pang's vocals on "#9 Dream", taking out some other vocal parts and re-doing them with her own vocals. Plus, she redid the cover, using what WAS the back cover photo for the front and not using the original drawing that John did as a child for the cover like the original album. Just destroyed the vibe (for me, anyway).

I'm not really a fan of the "stripped" & "naked" tampered albums ("Double Fantasy" & "Let It Be"). Just seems like a big "reinvent history" try.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Try to find the original CD release of Walls & Bridges...the recent remaster/reissue has been Yoko-tampered, removing May Pang's vocals on "#9 Dream", taking out some other vocal parts and re-doing them with her own vocals. Plus, she redid the cover, using what WAS the back cover photo for the front and not using the original drawing that John did as a child for the cover like the original album. Just destroyed the vibe (for me, anyway).

I'm not really a fan of the "stripped" & "naked" tampered albums ("Double Fantasy" & "Let It Be"). Just seems like a big "reinvent history" try.
I need to go back and listen to my W&B because I didn't notice this, but was it the version of the album located in the "Signature" box or the one Yoko released a few years prior. I agree with you on the cover of the previous release, but in the box didn't she sort that out? I thought she did but I could be wrong.

I'm going to respectfully disagree about DF stripped. I love that John's voice is placed in the forefront, like his songs on Milk & Honey and, though the original album is perfect to me, I appreciated hearing his voice so clear with minimal instrumental overlay and production stuff. Just my opinion.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Reviews and Photographs of Japan Fundraiser

I need to get back here when I have time to discuss the most recent postings here.About John's CD's and the remastered albums etc. But I want to get these updates posted here.I did read a post by Sean himself.That everyone in the band is fine and none of the instruments got damaged at all.Because of the fire they had after the Japan fundraiser concert this past weekend in the building next door,to where they performed.The performance was over when this happened.I am glad to hear they were all safe and ok.There is another Japan fundraiser this tuesday night with Yoko and Sean and other musicians.Everyone have a safe and good week and take care

Columbia Spectrum
March 27, 2011
By Allison Malecha
Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, and others play Miller Theatre to benefit Japan earthquake victims
Sonic Youth, Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, Cibo Matto—rarely has Columbia drawn such a star-studded cast of musician’s as for tonight’s Miller Theatre Concert to Benefit Japan Earthquake Relief. Ticket sales raised $33,000 for the cause, and the crowd was, if not elated, plenty satisfied. In a word, the night was a success.

http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.co...hquake-victims

Columbia Spectrum
March 27, 2011
Miller Theatre evacuated due to fire (UPDATE: Fire in print services, Dodge gym also evacuated)
Miller Theatre, the site of tonight’s Concert to Benefit Japan Earthquake Relief, has been evacuated due to a fire alarm.
Bystanders say the alarm began after the concert ended, when the audience had mostly left the theater. Deidre Fuchs, of Public Safety, told Spectator that the alarm started in the print shop in Dodge Hall, a building attached to the theater, where a print machine was smoking.

http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.co...-to-fire-alarm

Rolling Stone.com
March 28, 2011

At the end of their four-song set on March 27th at Columbia University's Miller Theater in New York, Sonic Youth played "Shaking Hell" from their 1983 album, Confusion Is Sex – a song about transgressive fantasies with a title that eerily captured the urgency of the night, a benefit for disaster relief in Japan. The first of five Concerts for Japan organized and curated by composer-saxophonist John Zorn, the sold-out Miller Theater show was headlined by Yoko Ono and the latest version of her Plastic Ono Band and included performances by guitarist Marc Ribot, ex-Faith No More vocalist Mike Patton with pianist Uri Caine, Zorn's Aleph Trio and a reunion of the Japanese art-pop duo Cibo Matto. The event raised over $33,000 from ticket sales, with all parties donating services, space and gear.

http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=...-york-20110328

http://musica.uol.com.br/album/conce...jhtm#fotoNav=1

Last edited by msLinds; 03-28-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Now I confess I know nothing about the changing of the original W&B, and I will agree that I am usually not a fan of remixed, altered reissues...but I implore you to give DF stripped a chance. A friend played it for me the day it came out and I was blown away! I didn't realize how much over-production (my opinion now) there was on the original. John's voice comes through so loud and clear it's stunningly eerie. You must give it a chance!
Oh honey sweet
So full of sleep
I'm backsliding..."
Radiohead
Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default 2 more reviews and photographs of fundraiser for Japan on 3/27

I have couple more reviews with photographs about that Japan relief fundraiser concert
with Sean and Yoko and other musicians this past sunday.

The New York Times
March 28, 2011
Allies in Improvisation and in a Cause

The earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan have inspired benefit concerts across New York City. One of the first to be announced was held on Sunday night at Miller Theater at Columbia University.

It was organized by the saxophonist and composer John Zorn, who has lived and performed in Japan and for decades has collaborated with, promoted and released albums by Japanese musicians. The program, headlined by Yoko Ono and Sonic Youth, reaffirmed longstanding ties between what were (in the 1970s and ’80s) known as New York’s downtown improvisers and their Japanese counterparts and co-conspirators. Sold out in two hours, the concert was also broadcast on Japanese television and to Columbia students. It raised $34,000 for Japan Society’s Earthquake Relief Fund.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/ar...view.html?_r=1

Photo Flash: Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, & More Perform at Miller Theatre's Benefit for Japan. March 28, 2011

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Pho...#ixzz1Hy1y67Mw
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much msLinds for posting these reviews/photographs regarding the concert for Japan. It really sounded like an amazing show, and all these artists seem so full of energy. I adore Yoko's Rising album, which is the one record I thought of from her that really showcased that her spirit has always been with her homeland. The songs on there are simply outstanding.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I Love Lucy: George Harrison’s Favorite Gibson Guitars 3/29/2011

Your welcome Nico.I have one update about a guitar of George Harrison's.

Gibson.com
3/29/2011
I Love Lucy: George Harrison’s Favorite Gibson Guitars
George Harrison was the “quiet Beatle” – at least until he plugged in an electric guitar and, to paraphrase another famed guitar wrangler of the era, “let his freak flag fly.” One of the key instruments in Harrison’s guitarsenal was “Lucy,” a more solid-bodied relative of B.B. King’s beloved “Lucille”. Lucy is one of the world’s most famous Gibson Les Paul Standards, although her 1957 date of birth dictates that she began her life as a Les Paul Gold Top.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...son-0329-2011/
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Video's from Japan fundraiser with Sean and Yoko and guests 3/29/2011

YOKO ONO & FRIENDS TO JAPAN WITH LOVE featuring Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band with special guests Sean Lennon, Antony , Patti Smith with Tony Shanahan and Cibo Matt 3/29/2011

Yoko Ono - Entrance / It Happened - Le Poisson Rouge, 3-29-11, Benefit for Japan‬

http://www.youtube.com/user/spcedog#p/a/u/2/4DIDS3VBgY4

Cibo Matto - Birthday Cake - Le Poisson Rouge 3-29-11 Benefit for Japan‬

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ci0inXFdI

Yoko Ono / Antony Hegarty- I Love You Earth - Le Poisson Rouge, 3-29-11, Benefit for Japan‬

http://www.youtube.com/user/spcedog#p/a/u/2/fv54KlneSdw

Yoko Ono / Antony Hegarty - a touching moment - Le Poisson Rouge, 3-29-11, Benefit for Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhGxU...feature=relmfu

Patti Smith - People Have the Power - Le Poisson Rouge, 3-29-11, Benefit for Japan

http://www.youtube.com/user/spcedog#p/a/u/0/OUAvRyQIBQI

Give Peace A Chance‬ - Le Poisson Rouge, 3-29-11 Benefit for Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSREFadvbSU

Last edited by msLinds; 03-30-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ It Happened is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Thanks MsLinds. I wish I could have been there but it was great seeing these and getting a chance to in a way.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Video's from Japan fundraiser with Sean and Yoko and guests 3/29/2011

Your Welcome Nico. As allways I am glad to be help here sharing with all of you.I also really like the song " It Happened " to .

Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msLinds View Post
YOKO ONO & FRIENDS TO JAPAN WITH LOVE featuring Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band with special guests Sean Lennon, Antony , Patti Smith with Tony Shanahan and Cibo Matt 3/29/2011...
Thanks for those great links msLinds! WOW, I see why Yoko's "It Happened" is one of your favorites Nico, that was awesome! I love how Sean is trying his best to have fun and get into the show but he has to keep directing everyone else Is Char really rocking out those Bass lines? She cooks! Then I see Sean doing his best Tony Levin on Bass with Cibo Matto… that's so cool they can pick up any instrument and go to town And that Antony dude, that was so weird seeing this huge Sumo-wrestler guy croon as delicate as Tiny Tim tiptoeing through the tulips! Strange, but very touching <3 What a great show, maybe more videos from it will surface soon. Let's hope!
Oh honey sweet
So full of sleep
I'm backsliding..."
Radiohead
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default More reviews and photograph from Japan Benefit from 3/29/2011

Your welcome 3rd World Man.I have some updates.I am just going to add them all in one thread here.Since they are reviews about that same concert.

A couple more reviews with photographs about the fundraising benefit for Japan at Le Poisson Rouge on March 29, 2011.I think the beginning of that last article from the Village Voice that the writer is full wrong about Sean and the writer is full of it.But its common and typical of the stereotypes and labels people have about not just him but other people they don't actually know about.At least he did say Sean was charming in the article later.

Vogue
3/29/2011
Yoko Ono for Japan

With her Lou Reed, Antony Hegarty and Patti Smith. On Bleecker Str. for an exclusive event,Solidarity can really move heaven and earth and make dreams come true. Because what happened yesterday in Bleecker Street really looked like a dream.

http://www.vogue.it/en/people-are-ta...o-ono-lou-reed

HuffingtonPost.com
March 30, 2011
Sean, Yoko, Antony, Lou and Patti Portra
Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon organized a benefit for Japan Society's earthquake relief fund. Lou Reed, Antony Hegarty and Patti Smith joined in. I shot this backstage in a private moment, but am posting it with the hope that others will contribute to Japan Society's efforts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timoth..._b_842705.html

The Village Voice.com
March 30,2011
Live: Yoko Ono And Son Bust Out The Rolodex (Lou Reed! Patti Smith! Antony!) For Japan

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...an_benefit.php

Save The Society
note and puzzle piece everyone got from Yoko at the concert on 3/29

http://savethesociety.com/a-note-for...o-stefania-pia

Last edited by msLinds; 03-31-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Goastt at SXSW Candy Necklace and photographs from the Troubadour 3/2011

‪The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger live at Other Music & Dig For Fire's Lawn Party at SXSW‬ 3/2011.Also some photographs not posted here or on any message board yet, of Sean and Charlotte live at the Troubadour,from January 2011.

Pamela Lin Photography
The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger & Laura Gibson | Live at The Troubadour | Los Angeles, CA
March 29, 2011

Back in January I had the pleasure of shooting The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, a whimsical duo made up of Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl, for mxdwn.com and Laura Gibson. My review and photos can be found on MxDwn but I thought I’d include a few my photos here on my blog that didn’t make it to MxDwn. For any readers that come upon this band, I truly implore you to go see them play because they really are quite wonderful.

http://www.pamelalinphoto.com/blog/2...os-angeles-ca/

Candy Necklace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvvixHUp-Y

Last edited by msLinds; 03-31-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I really appreciate that Sean was one of the first in the entertainment field to respond so quickly to the disaster in Japan with these tribute shows. There are a lot of people who suffered devastating losses, whose lives are changed forever, and it means a lot that some people realize that and want to give back, despite the talk about Japan's wealth. I honestly can't imagine looking at a situation like that earthquake/tsunami and not wanting to do something, so Sean and Yoko and all the others involved get my props for putting action to words and giving 100% of the proceeds instead of a portion.

Thank you for the articles mslinds. The Village Voice writer appears to be deliberating a lot of tongue-in-cheek with that intro, but it's borderline stale at this point. Whether people want to admit this or not, and I get that it sounds grandiose so some won't, Sean Lennon is the most talented and creative offspring of any of the former Beatles. Haters gonna hate.

Hey, try reading comments from the Ohnotheydidn't board regarding Sean, Yoko, and even John. I tell you...ignorant people be multiplying like mosquitoes and you get them near a computer, with the anonymity of the internet, and all that stupid comes right out. It can get bad enough to be hilarious but then you think...these are their actual thoughts?

Last edited by Nico; 04-01-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msLinds View Post
Ha! Last part of the video with the ice cream maker/butter churner comment and Char's gesture/Sean's reaction is priceless. How cute are these two?

Closed Thread